RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

rockreaver

Aug 4, 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #1 of 13 (923 views)
Shortcut

Cloudveil Rayzor...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So a few weeks back I was asking about outerwear that wouldn't drench me in sweat and then freeze me to death.

Last night we did the tour de' store and I tried on everything sadly the things I liked the most were in the OMG price range.

I ultimately settled on a Cloudveil Rayzor with:

Schoeller WB-400 fabrics.
3XDRY Fiber Technology
Polartec Interior
Massive Core Vents to let heat out

The fit is unreal. Stretchy, rugged I'm loving it. If it works the way the dude at the store promised I'm going to be warm and fuzzy inside all winter long.

Anyone here have experience with the Cloudveil outerwear? Have any opinions are experiences? Do you think it will do the trick for cold approach hikes and such?

the_climber

Aug 6, 2009, 5:00 PM
Post #2 of 13 (859 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockreaver] Cloudveil Rayzor... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing wrong with Cloudveil outerwear. Been using their soft shells for years. Currently the Black Ice top, can't remember the name of th ebottoms, but they're black and are recomended as '3 seasons'... screw that they are great for 4 seasons. Their old line of gloves were better. Have some of their synthetic pants too, awsome stuff... only problem is the pants out grew me (time for a smaller pair). A lot of their stuff is light enough weight for summer, and heavty enought to layer for winter. One set for the year.

Over all I'd say their stuff is rugged and stands up like Patagonia. Only it fits me better.

(This post was edited by the_climber on Aug 6, 2009, 5:02 PM)

scotty1974

Aug 6, 2009, 6:47 PM
Post #3 of 13 (834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alot of people bash Cloudveil. They talk about quality of the gear, customer service, loss of their "mountain culture" and becoming corporate since I believe Spider bought them out.

That being said I think they are fantastic. Maybe I got some of their older gear, but I fricken' love them. Yes, overpriced, but not as bad as Arcteryx. I have the Black Ice and Prospector soft shells, the run don't walk hoodie (expensive but the sh*t), the wister vest and jacket and Koven pants. They work perfect in the ever changing climate in CO.

Only downside that I've seen is the sizing is a little eratic like alot of companies nowadays.

Get sample sizes here!!! Way cheaper!

http://www.cvsportgear.com/cloudveil-samples.html

(This post was edited by scotty1974 on Aug 6, 2009, 10:42 PM)

rockreaver

Aug 6, 2009, 6:49 PM
Post #4 of 13 (832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scotty1974] Cloudveil Rayzor... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's perfect because our winter climate isn't cold but turn your back and you may freeze to death. So... I kind of need something to watch my back for those days where you expect it but if it shows or doesn't show you still have the right gear with you.

(This post was edited by rockreaver on Aug 6, 2009, 6:50 PM)

rockreaver

Aug 6, 2009, 7:44 PM
Post #5 of 13 (810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scotty1974] Cloudveil Rayzor... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the sweet link too. Got another piece of gear. They have a parka that meets my needs perfectly. *OWN* it. Wink

http://www.cvsportgear.com/...all-2007-sample.html

{EDIT} My wife hates red but she was okay with it for the price. I love red.{/EDIT}

(This post was edited by rockreaver on Aug 6, 2009, 7:53 PM)

scotty1974

Aug 6, 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #6 of 13 (788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice!! One of the best things about the "upsizing" of gear companies clothing is that I fit more and more of the sample sizes!!!

Score!!

k.l.k

Aug 6, 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #7 of 13 (787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockreaver wrote:
So a few weeks back I was asking about outerwear that wouldn't drench me in sweat and then freeze me to death.

Last night we did the tour de' store and I tried on everything sadly the things I liked the most were in the OMG price range.

I ultimately settled on a Cloudveil Rayzor with:

Schoeller WB-400 fabrics.
3XDRY Fiber Technology
Polartec Interior
Massive Core Vents to let heat out

The fit is unreal. Stretchy, rugged I'm loving it. If it works the way the dude at the store promised I'm going to be warm and fuzzy inside all winter long.

Anyone here have experience with the Cloudveil outerwear? Have any opinions are experiences? Do you think it will do the trick for cold approach hikes and such?

I'm on my second Serendipity softshell. I finally wore through the fabric on the first one after six or seven years of using it as my go-to piece for everything.

Of course, Teflon now probably comprises 3% of my total body weight.

rockreaver

Aug 6, 2009, 11:15 PM
Post #8 of 13 (777 views)
Shortcut

Recommendations for an under-layer??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All they have are size medium which is a bit loose on me but only a little bit so if I get a killer sweater/pull-over layer under that I'll be styling.

What would be a great super warm thin layer to wear underneath my rayzar?

k.l.k

Aug 6, 2009, 11:32 PM
Post #9 of 13 (772 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockreaver] Recommendations for an under-layer??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockreaver wrote:
All they have are size medium which is a bit loose on me but only a little bit so if I get a killer sweater/pull-over layer under that I'll be styling.

What would be a great super warm thin layer to wear underneath my rayzar?

icebreaker is the one. if yer lucky, you can catch one on sale

rockreaver

Aug 6, 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #10 of 13 (769 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] Recommendations for an under-layer??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This? http://www.icebreaker.com/...ml?thumb_value=Black

k.l.k

Aug 6, 2009, 11:46 PM
Post #11 of 13 (763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

those are good pieces for really cold weather or as an intermediate.

i prefer the lighter ones for a base layer.

icebreaker stuff is pricey but i picked all of mine up on good sales and they've lasted forever. the one is probably ten years old at this point, off-widths, squeeze chimneys, brush, all the stuff that should rip wool to hell. plus 10 seasons in cali, where it ought to dry the oils out. but it's still in great shape.

i only got one season out of my smartwool.

rockreaver

Aug 6, 2009, 11:53 PM
Post #12 of 13 (754 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] Recommendations for an under-layer??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:

I'm rolling the dice a bit. I want the Rayzar to handle somewhat cold/cool ( 30's to 50's) and then I want that piece I just linked to take care of the cold 15's to 30's as long as I'm active. Obviously if I'm sitting around I'll need more but I can get a lot of stuff for that.

I want something that will shoulder a pack, handle the approach and get me through long 5.1 - 5.6 approach climbs that may last from 20 minutes to 6 hours.

I'm thinking of trying to catch a bunch of Sawtooth stuff (Finger of Fate, Idaho) in a month or so and the tooths will ice you up in short order.

k.l.k

Aug 7, 2009, 12:03 AM
Post #13 of 13 (748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockreaver wrote:
k.l.k wrote:

I'm rolling the dice a bit. I want the Rayzar to handle somewhat cold/cool ( 30's to 50's) and then I want that piece I just linked to take care of the cold 15's to 30's as long as I'm active. Obviously if I'm sitting around I'll need more but I can get a lot of stuff for that.

I want something that will shoulder a pack, handle the approach and get me through long 5.1 - 5.6 approach climbs that may last from 20 minutes to 6 hours.

I'm thinking of trying to catch a bunch of Sawtooth stuff (Finger of Fate, Idaho) in a month or so and the tooths will ice you up in short order.

if u got the dough, get one of those 260 zip-necks (the thumb loops are actually a really nice feature) and a thin base later.

i tend to run hot when i'm doing aerobic stuff-- sierra bc i'm usually down to a thin baselayer and the serendipity.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook