RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Announcements

Premier Sponsor:

ddt

Aug 7, 2009, 10:03 AM
Post #1 of 9 (10633 views)
Shortcut

Advertisements on Rockclimbing.com
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi everyone,

We're currently in the process of changing ad servers. This is quite a comprehensive process and may take several days. During this time you may see all sorts of ads displayed on the site which you wouldn't normally see, including "blank" and "placeholder" ads. Please be patient as we go through this process and get everything cleaned up.

DDT

rockreaver

Aug 8, 2009, 3:54 AM
Post #2 of 9 (10501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Advertisements on Rockclimbing.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Does this include all the UFC shit? That's way fucking old. I don't need to see that violence every time I click it's really annoying.

It's just got nothing at all to do with climbing.

{EDIT} I removed some offensive comments. It was wrong to have them there. I just abhor violence for sport and I don't want to see it here. I'll pay $10 a month for a membership here if it means not having to see UFC ads. Even better. Let us pick the ads we want to see in our profile. Let me uncheck UFC and put a check next to Petzl or Moosejaw or whatever. I have 13 years experience in Ed Parker's American Kenpo Karate but I don't enjoy UFC. UFC is different. But that's a very subjective statement. Just want Petzl, Moosejaw, etc... much better.{/EDIT}

(This post was edited by rockreaver on Aug 9, 2009, 2:34 PM)

rgbscan

Aug 8, 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #3 of 9 (10476 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockreaver] Advertisements on Rockclimbing.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Firefox + Adblock equals bliss! Normally, I set it up to allow ads for sites I frequent since I know that's how they make money. OTOH, if rockclimbing.com is going to keep showing these crappy ads I'm going to keep blocking them! Why can't they just have google text ads for relevant products? You would think the click-through (where the money gets generated) would be much better. Not these huge flash ads for UFC. It's ridiculous. That's not what I want to see when I come here.

rockreaver

Aug 8, 2009, 3:52 PM
Post #4 of 9 (10453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgbscan] Advertisements on Rockclimbing.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm using it right now. {Sorry for the swearing too.} But I use 4 browsers and FF is the only one that's actually not a massive piece of crap. I have 4 monitors and depending on what work I'm doing (computer engineer) I use different browsers. FF is my primary for everything so sometimes I'm using it for work purposes not play.

So seeing acts of extreme roman violence 24x7 just doesn't do it for me. I don't mind UFC and I think it's great that all those kids in school that loved to pound each other can now get paid to do that... it's just not my thing. I'd rather watch videos from Petzl and Adam Ondra in SA blazing "hardest routes".

I love the staff here and I think the do a "bomber" job I just think they made a bad choice on this one. Climbers just don't seem to be a UFC audience to me. But if you look at my post count which is PC and on RC that is a good factor for how well you understand the place I'm still very much learning and truly more of a guest than a member. There are many here who's ropes I'm not worthy to gaze upon so my outburst might be a bit out of turn...

Ad-block is brilliant though. But I don't like having to use Ad-block on a site that I really want to support. I click ok at least 2 banners ads a day to make sure they get their just deserves. But not UFC... ick. Those guys have pumpkin faces from their work. That's awful.

"Yo Adrian!"

climbsomething

Aug 9, 2009, 9:53 AM
Post #5 of 9 (10398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockreaver wrote:
Why not show dead bodies in Iraq? I feel it's on the same level.
Did you really just say that? WTF, mate?

You'd be surprised how much crossover appeal the UFC/mixed martial arts has.

There is, however, ZERO connection between sanctioned mixed martial arts, which is no more barbaric than boxing or football, and war dead. Trying to draw a comparison is offensive, and not to fighters.

(This post was edited by climbsomething on Aug 9, 2009, 9:54 AM)

rockreaver

Aug 9, 2009, 2:30 PM
Post #6 of 9 (10379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] Advertisements on Rockclimbing.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
rockreaver wrote:
Why not show dead bodies in Iraq? I feel it's on the same level.
Did you really just say that? WTF, mate?

You'd be surprised how much crossover appeal the UFC/mixed martial arts has.

There is, however, ZERO connection between sanctioned mixed martial arts, which is no more barbaric than boxing or football, and war dead. Trying to draw a comparison is offensive, and not to fighters.

Yes. You are exactly right. I feel strongly about violence and I hate it. I didn't solicit or request ads for violence. But you couldn't be more correct. I'm going to go up, click edit and remove those comments.

I hope the site admins will do the same on the UFC ads.

vegastradguy

Aug 11, 2009, 4:54 PM
Post #7 of 9 (10061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you boys not read Daniel's post? i think its safe to say that the UFC ads were a temporary thing- once the ad server change is complete, it'll be back to what we're used to.

rockreaver

Aug 11, 2009, 4:59 PM
Post #8 of 9 (10059 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Advertisements on Rockclimbing.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I read that but he didn't speak to UFC specifically. So I thought if JT was going to talk about some stuff I would too.

I am probably going to get killed for saying this but if RC offered a pay option with no ads or a free option with ads I'd pay for now ads and I bet many people would.

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 12, 2009, 12:37 PM
Post #9 of 9 (9979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockreaver wrote:
... if RC offered a pay option with no ads ... I bet many people would.
They did, many paid, we had that option, but it is now gone.

That's what this star next to people's names iswas for --->

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Aug 12, 2009, 12:38 PM)

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Announcements

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook