RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

ptownclimber

Nov 6, 2007, 8:18 PM
Post #1 of 19 (23683 views)
Shortcut

Take!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How harmful is it to the learning experience to take when climbing near one's limit?

For example: towards the end of the day, on a route you haven't climbed before, at a difficulty level you've climbed at before but not your maximum...you get tired and ask for a take rather than risking a fall.

arnoilgner

Nov 7, 2007, 1:46 AM
Post #2 of 19 (23671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ptownclimber] Take! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

hi ptownclimber,
it depends on what you are wanting to learn. what is the intent of the climb? do you want to redpoint/onsight the route? or, are you just working moves? or do you just want a cool down route for the end of the day?
if you are wanting to redpoint/onsight then saying "take" is the worst thing you can do if you want to learn. essentially, saying "take" allows you to escape the stress of the climbing but IN the stress is where learning occurs. once you say "take" you are back in your comfort zone and learning stops.
perhaps this helps?
arno

jgloporto

Jan 11, 2008, 5:22 PM
Post #3 of 19 (23455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ptownclimber wrote:
How harmful is it to the learning experience to take when climbing near one's limit?

For example: towards the end of the day, on a route you haven't climbed before, at a difficulty level you've climbed at before but not your maximum...you get tired and ask for a take rather than risking a fall.

I never yell take, ever.

IclimbNAKED

Dec 17, 2008, 9:05 PM
Post #4 of 19 (20110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [arnoilgner] Take! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This. I like this.

I've felt similarly when bouldering (our rule, since my buddy and I have only climbed sport is to climb until a fall then swap, no takes really), and I want to push myself to keep going and if I fall then I fall, but there are times when I don't push myself to the limit and it's more of a jump off then look at the problem. But I think I just need to keep that pressure up longer and establish an inner confidence that I can probably sequence the whole thing if I really try.

havard

Jan 14, 2009, 9:44 AM
Post #5 of 19 (19974 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IclimbNAKED] Take! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My climbing partner fixed his problem with "take" on a beautiful way. While I was traveling this fall, he showed a friend of his the ropes. But he did not teach this friend the word "take". Now we are both learning to deal with falling, and I can not think of a better way than just removing "take" from the options.

caliclimbergrl

Jan 15, 2009, 9:11 PM
Post #6 of 19 (19960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Before I respond, I'll go ahead and say I do this WAY TOO OFTEN. In my defense, I broke my ankle in a really bad lead fall a year and a half ago and my lead head is still messed up from it. Still, I disagree with others who have said things like learning stops when you take. I think there is an optimal level of stress during lead climbing. When you are at that level and leading at your limit, the stress produces an intense level of focus. You're aware of nothing but the climb and though I think this focus is produced by stress, the result is actually incredibly relaxing and climbing just flows naturally! However, if the stress level gets to high, I think it actually prevents you from climbing. Ideally, you should be very aware of what would happen if you fell, but you're not distracted by the idea. If you're so preoccupied with the idea of falling that you aren't focused on the climb, I think it's okay to put in a piece of gear and hang on it for a minute to take some breaths and pull yourself together before completing the climb. If you're just not sure if you can make a move or not, I'd say go ahead and sew it up (irrelevant for sport climbers), but move through the hard part and take the fall if it comes to it. Admittedly, it's hard for me to take my own advice on this one, but I'm working on it.

puerto

Jan 20, 2009, 9:39 PM
Post #7 of 19 (19895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caliclimbergrl] Take! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's lots of other possibilities for what you could learn:

You could learn how to downclimb so you can back up your piece and say take and ease on to them.

You could not say take and learn that your belayer has fallen in love with dynamic belaying.. That's right, even on less than vertical territory. And then you might learn that that ledge you thought was a safe 12 feet below as you fly from 3 feet above the bolt/piece is now tearing your ankle apart.

Terry2124

Apr 25, 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #8 of 19 (19288 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgloporto] Take! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
ptownclimber wrote:

I never yell take, ever.

Same

CrazyPetie

Jul 4, 2009, 11:55 PM
Post #9 of 19 (18863 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Terry2124] Take! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When i first started climbing i didn't even know people would do this. We just went up and expected to take whips, it was part of the fun. Then i started climbing with this older chick and she would say TAKE every bolt. I was like, what the fuck is she doing? Its just terrible style in my opinion, and it gives us sport climbers a bad name. After climbing with her for a while, i was climbing some 11. I got to the last bolt and yelled TAKE, then i said to myself "no way i'm not doin that," and i said NEVER MIND and kept climbing. I ended up falling but i learned that i could keep going. Next go i red-pointed the route.

surfergirl

Jul 14, 2009, 9:44 PM
Post #10 of 19 (18777 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CrazyPetie] Take! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i just started leading...is "take" even possible when you're above the bolt, or is it just something that's used when you're below in the bolt and clipped in? every time i've ever wished i could "take" has been when i've above the bolt, and by that time i figure i'm screwed so i have to just climb until i fall.

jt512

Jul 21, 2009, 11:53 PM
Post #11 of 19 (18720 views)
Shortcut

Re: [surfergirl] Take! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:
i just started leading...is "take" even possible when you're above the bolt, or is it just something that's used when you're below in the bolt and clipped in? every time i've ever wished i could "take" has been when i've above the bolt, and by that time i figure i'm screwed so i have to just climb until i fall.

You don't want to "take" when you're above your pro. The tension in the rope will pendulum you into the wall. It's a good way to break an ankle.

Jay

kriso9tails

Jul 22, 2009, 6:57 PM
Post #12 of 19 (18686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Take! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
surfergirl wrote:

You don't want to "take" when you're above your pro. The tension in the rope will pendulum you into the wall. It's a good way to break an ankle.

Jay

I have seen this happen first hand several times. It tends to be a waste of a climbing day for the belayer and a severely busted ankle for the climber.

surfergirl

Jul 22, 2009, 10:53 PM
Post #13 of 19 (18675 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Take! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
surfergirl wrote:

Jay

that's what i thought. "Take" seems kind of useless then because if you're not above your bolt, you wouldn't have that far to fall anyway.

incidentally, i was leading this weekend and told my belayer "watch me." i didn't get a response. i yelled to her, "i said watch me, did you hear me?" she said "i thought you said take." i said "NO DON'T TAKE i'm moving up!" so glad i clarified that...take would have been BAD.

USnavy

Aug 5, 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #14 of 19 (18558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

ptownclimber wrote:
Quite rather harmful IMO. So very often I see beginners climb at their limit (5.9) and call take to rest on a bolt. I respond by yelling, "just climb until you fall, don’t take!!!". Unless the fall is dangerous or you’re on questionable gear, there is no reason to call for a take. If your calling for a take above the bolt your wrong. You don’t want your belayer pulling the rope steel cable tight on a fall unless you’re over a ledge. If you’re going to fall, fall. Don’t call for a take unless it’s imperative to minimize the fall distance to avoid injury and in such case you should never have to tell the belayer that for they should be able to see such themselves.

Climbing until you fall is the benchmark of being a solid lead climber. Thats one of the ways you can tell an experienced leader from some rookie thats just messing around. If you want to lead harder routes you need to be able to push it to the max on lead. Being able to push it to the max on lead requires you to understand that falling is part of climbing and that it will happen (often).

Now if you’re calling for a take on a project that you cannot redpoint (yet) so you can look at the route and work the moves, that’s fine. But if you’re calling for a take because you’re scared, you need to get out of that mentality.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Aug 5, 2009, 12:43 PM)

lhwang

Aug 8, 2009, 9:02 PM
Post #15 of 19 (18492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [surfergirl] Take! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:
every time i've ever wished i could "take" has been when i've above the bolt, and by that time i figure i'm screwed so i have to just climb until i fall.

The other option you would have would be to downclimb... if you're getting yourself into a bad situation (bad gear below, dangerous fall, etc.) continuing to go up could make things a lot worse.

(This post was edited by lhwang on Aug 8, 2009, 9:07 PM)

minorclimber

Oct 17, 2009, 12:26 PM
Post #16 of 19 (18105 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Take! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I say take when I get to the top. only then, other than that I shout " watch me!!" and jump for it. I always shout my requests twice, because my mom (go ahead laugh. I'm 12) just learned to belay, and she makes me nervous when I jump on overhanging 5.11's because my max is 5.10's, and I know I'm gonna fall.

darkgift06

Sep 16, 2010, 7:34 PM
Post #17 of 19 (17252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [minorclimber] Take! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

is it bad that when my partner yells take, I yell back NO, Keep climbing to the rest!

if he yells back something like "omg I can't, I might take a whip" I might take up a bit.

but if its just because hes tired I'll try to talk him out of the take, so that he can push his limits & get stronger.

spikeddem

Sep 21, 2010, 4:09 PM
Post #18 of 19 (17183 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darkgift06] Take! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

darkgift06 wrote:
is it bad that when my partner yells take, I yell back NO, Keep climbing to the rest!

if he yells back something like "omg I can't, I might take a whip" I might take up a bit.

but if its just because hes tired I'll try to talk him out of the take, so that he can push his limits & get stronger.

This is something you should be talking to your partner about before it comes up, not with us, after the fact.

erisspirit

Oct 8, 2010, 9:33 PM
Post #19 of 19 (16993 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darkgift06] Take! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

darkgift06 wrote:

Yeah that really depends on the partner... some people work well being pushed that way... some are damn serious when they say take and expect their belayer to respond accordingly.

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook