RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

kheegster

Aug 19, 2009, 10:02 AM
Post #1 of 2 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Mental preparation for alpine route
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm heading out to Wyoming in 2 weeks to attempt the Direct Exum route (10 pitches, 5.7) on the Grand Teton. I have only been leading trad for a year (5.7 at the Gunks), and have only done only 1 long alpine lead (8 pitches, 5.6) which I have felt pretty comfortable on.

As I only have 2 nights to acclimatize I have been worried about the effects of altitude, and also the requirement to move quickly avoid afternoon storms.

From a technical point of view, none of the pitches should present any problem, and if the effects of altitude, weather and being trashed from the long approach are removed I have no doubt this climb is within my ability.

How do I approach this climb mentally? I am primarily worried about getting pumped easily from the altitude, and the fact that there are several crack and chimney sections which I am not strong at.

seatbeltpants

Aug 20, 2009, 4:28 AM
Post #2 of 2 (4975 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kheegster] Mental preparation for alpine route [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

any chance of getting some crack and / or chimney mileage in the next two weeks? it sounds like that'd be a good starting point to try to minimise one concern...

steve

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook