Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Sport Climbing:
Warm and Dry U.S. sport destinations for Winter?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gogo

Aug 19, 2009, 3:16 PM
Post #1 of 32 (10673 views)
Shortcut

Warm and Dry U.S. sport destinations for Winter?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi RC.com peoples -

Starting my trip planning thoughts in advance.

I have several weeks free mid-winter (mid-Dec to mid-Jan), know that I have a few people willing to travel with me in the middle of winter to find warmer climates and sport routes.

Been up and down the West Coast and CO/UT, Red Rocks several times, now looking for somewhere new where I can spend a few weeks working long routes and staying relatively warm and dry.

I've been thinking of possibly getting out of the country and going down to El Potrero, or possibly even Cuba, but the travel costs to either of those places is a little higher and I don't know if I'll have enough saved up for it.

Suggestions?

subantz

Aug 19, 2009, 5:03 PM
Post #2 of 32 (10642 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gogo] Warm and Dry U.S. sport destinations for Winter? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The southeast. Pretty nice weather and good climbing. Check these places out. Red River Gorge, The Obed, Foster Falls, New River Gorge. and that should be a good start. You can find info in the route database. Just dont tell anybody that the climbing here kicks colorado's ass. We dont chip or glue holds here and our sandstone is way better than the choss piles out west.

yevquest

Aug 19, 2009, 5:45 PM
Post #3 of 32 (10620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll provide another perspective on the southeast to the above poster. Not sure what you mean about "long routes". If you mean multipitch sport climbing, there's very little of it in the southeast. What little exists is 2 pitches.

The sport climbing in the South can be very good in the winter but hit or miss. The New is normally very cold during the heart of the winter, same with the Red. Sure, you can get random warm days but I wouldn't plan on it. The Obed is a pretty good winter destination although nights will be cold. Tieranny and South Clear get lots of sun. Foster Falls isn't a destination crag and isn't great in the heart of winter. The harder routes get very little sun and wouldn't be enjoyable. The Tennessee Wall has some excellent sport climbing that gets lots of sun although the good routes are (for the most part) 12c and up. Hope this helps give you a realistic view.

Yeah, there's no glue used in the southeast...uh sure....and no drilled pockets either....uh huh.

caughtinside

Aug 19, 2009, 5:49 PM
Post #4 of 32 (10618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The potrero is warm and has long routes, but the climbing is rather uninspiring in my opinion.

There's some spots in CA, but those southeast areas might be a better bet.

Southern Utah is a popular winter spot. Mesquite NV, and St. George/Hurricane UT areas.

(This post was edited by caughtinside on Aug 19, 2009, 5:50 PM)

gogo

Aug 19, 2009, 6:16 PM
Post #5 of 32 (10603 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Warm and Dry U.S. sport destinations for Winter? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm - most interesting indeed.

The Red was somewhere I've really wanted to check out, but wasn't sure how the climate would be - and if I'm going to travel all the way across the country for a climbing spot, I'd like to stay dry and warm.

Obed sounds cool; cold nights are fine cause we will just bundle up in sleeping bags and wine does a great job keeping me warm!

Tennessee wall - is that at Obed? The difficulty isn't so much of an issue, just wall angle - had shoulder surgery in december, but its feeling solid enough to pull 5.12 again as long as it is not severely overhanging, so I'm positive about climbing back at the harder grades in another six months of training and rehab.

By long routes I mean long single pitch and multipitch routes, which is one of the reasons potrero looked appealing.

I lived in Grand Junction, CO for a few years and climbed a lot in Colorado and Utah, so I'm trying to shy away from those spots. And living in Washington, we've taken a lot of trips up and down Cali.

I can't remember if I've climbed at Mesquite. Is that lost arrow canyon area?

BenKenobi

Aug 19, 2009, 6:25 PM
Post #6 of 32 (10596 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tucson/Mt. Lemmon

LostinMaine

Aug 19, 2009, 6:46 PM
Post #7 of 32 (10579 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BenKenobi] Warm and Dry U.S. sport destinations for Winter? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BenKenobi wrote:
Tucson/Mt. Lemmon

I was given that advice last year and got snowed off of Mt. Lemmon. The road was closed from the (IIRC) 16 mile mark up. Only got in two good days of climbing because of the piss poor weather...

But those two days were fantastic!

gblauer

Aug 19, 2009, 7:12 PM
Post #8 of 32 (10560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love EPC. While it's expensive to get there ($500) to fly, it's really cheap once you do arrive. Camping is $5 per day, food about the same. You can even get there on the cheap. Fly Southwest airlines to Houston and take the bus from HOU to Monterrey, Mexico. You can then get picked up by Milton or Ed or Luis (one of their services) for about $25. You don't need a car while you are there, the cliffs are within walking distance of any place that you would likely stay.

The climbing is amazing (with all due respect to the poster who said it was uninspiring). I climbed the longest sport route in North America; Time Wave Zero. At 23 pitches (21st pitch a stinger of a 12a), the climbing was varied, fun and LONG. So, consider EPC, you will be very happy that you did. There is a lifetime of climbing there; from easy peasy multi pitch to really righteously hard single pitch climbs.

The weather can be all over the place; 80 degrees one day and cold the next. Make sure that you plan for weather. In the winter most people bring down jackets for the evenings.

crazy_fingers84

Aug 19, 2009, 7:19 PM
Post #9 of 32 (10557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Smith Rock, OR ... it will be warm if it is sunny there, which it usually is.

caughtinside

Aug 19, 2009, 7:29 PM
Post #10 of 32 (10547 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Warm and Dry U.S. sport destinations for Winter? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:

The climbing is amazing (with all due respect to the poster who said it was uninspiring). I climbed the longest sport route in North America; Time Wave Zero. At 23 pitches (21st pitch a stinger of a 12a), the climbing was varied, fun and LONG.

I'm definitely in the minority, as most folks there liked it. But I'd describe the multipitch routes as repetitive, boring and LONG. Mostly lower angle ladders with a bolt every 10 feet and anchors every 100. The multis there felt like low quality trad routes to me.

The cragging was better, but nowhere near world class. If you're a 5.10 sport climber it might be a better area for you than if you are a 5.12 sport climber.

olderic

Aug 19, 2009, 8:16 PM
Post #11 of 32 (10513 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Warm and Dry U.S. sport destinations for Winter? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
gblauer wrote:

The climbing is amazing (with all due respect to the poster who said it was uninspiring). I climbed the longest sport route in North America; Time Wave Zero. At 23 pitches (21st pitch a stinger of a 12a), the climbing was varied, fun and LONG.

I'm definitely in the minority, as most folks there liked it. But I'd describe the multipitch routes as repetitive, boring and LONG. Mostly lower angle ladders with a bolt every 10 feet and anchors every 100. The multis there felt like low quality trad routes to me.

The cragging was better, but nowhere near world class. If you're a 5.10 sport climber it might be a better area for you than if you are a 5.12 sport climber.

You nailed it. For me the thrill of being able to go up and down the long routes so quickly with minimal gear compensates for the actual climbing being somewhat repitious. Plus the unique atmosphere is a nice novelty to keep one entertained. But for my son - who climbs a lot harder then 5.12 - it was kind of boring after he climbed out the Surfbowl the first morning. There are some harder longer routes though as well as other steeper areas not too far away if you can arrange transportation.

The basic problem for the OP is that they want to go in the absolute dead of winter - shortest possible days in the northern hemisphere. No place (in the northern hemisphere) is going to be guaranteed to be warm and dry.

byran

Aug 20, 2009, 1:57 AM
Post #12 of 32 (10461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sure you could find some stuff around southern Arizona and southern New Mexico that's nice in the winter. I haven't climbed too much there so I can't really recommend any places, but I do remember climbing in Socorro Box, NM a few years ago during Christmas and it was perfect weather in the sun.

ShibbyShane

Aug 21, 2009, 3:04 AM
Post #13 of 32 (10407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
The potrero is warm and has long routes, but the climbing is rather uninspiring in my opinion.

Southern Utah is a popular winter spot. Mesquite NV, and St. George/Hurricane UT areas.

Where are the spots in California? I too live in Sactown, so the closer the better. (I looked at your profile)

jt512

Aug 21, 2009, 4:26 AM
Post #14 of 32 (10379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ShibbyShane] Warm and Dry U.S. sport destinations for Winter? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ShibbyShane wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

Where are the spots in California? I too live in Sactown, so the closer the better. (I looked at your profile)

Echo Cliffs in Ventura County and New Jack City, near Barstow, are good winter sport crags.

Jay

USnavy

Aug 21, 2009, 7:06 AM
Post #15 of 32 (10355 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Warm and Dry U.S. sport destinations for Winter? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
ShibbyShane wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

Echo Cliffs in Ventura County and New Jack City, near Barstow, are good winter sport crags.

Jay
Echo Cliffs is a great climbing area. I loved that place. Very soft grades though.

csproul

Aug 21, 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #16 of 32 (10325 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Warm and Dry U.S. sport destinations for Winter? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And I wouldn't exactly call Echo a destination.

USnavy

Aug 21, 2009, 12:43 PM
Post #17 of 32 (10314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Warm and Dry U.S. sport destinations for Winter? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
And I wouldn't exactly call Echo a destination.
I agree. It’s a great local crag if you live nearby but I wouldn’t travel to go there unless you had tons of time and it was on the way.

USnavy

Aug 21, 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #18 of 32 (10308 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Warm and Dry U.S. sport destinations for Winter? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
gblauer wrote:

No place (in the northern hemisphere) is going to be guaranteed to be warm and dry.
Hawaii is guaranteed to be warm. Average low in the winter is 65 - 70. The coldest it’s ever been in the entire history of Honolulu is 53. Dry though... No. Anyway I wouldn’t come here to climb unless you had other motives. We have quality climbing that will keep you busy for maybe 30 days but after that you will be either projecting beyond your limit or you will be climbing the same things.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Aug 21, 2009, 12:57 PM)

rock_ranger

Aug 21, 2009, 1:35 PM
Post #19 of 32 (10288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gogo wrote:
Hmmm - most interesting indeed.
The Red was somewhere I've really wanted to check out, but wasn't sure how the climate would be - and if I'm going to travel all the way across the country for a climbing spot, I'd like to stay dry and warm.

Tennessee wall - is that at Obed? The difficulty isn't so much of an issue, just wall angle - had shoulder surgery in december, but its feeling solid enough to pull 5.12 again as long as it is not severely overhanging, so I'm positive about climbing back at the harder grades in another six months of training and rehab.

If the overhang aint your thang, don't go to the Red.

gogo

Aug 21, 2009, 2:19 PM
Post #20 of 32 (10278 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_ranger] Warm and Dry U.S. sport destinations for Winter? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi -

I was saying right now severely overhanging isn't the best feeling thing, but that if I can pull vertical 5.12 and easy overhanging routes now, then in another six months overhanging difficult routes will be back in the routine.

Hawaii, eh? That would be a great spot and I have friends there I could stay with, but the travel cost is pretty high, huh?

The other spot I was thinking was Cuba...

jt512

Aug 21, 2009, 3:52 PM
Post #21 of 32 (10247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
The basic problem for the OP is that they want to go in the absolute dead of winter - shortest possible days in the northern hemisphere. No place (in the northern hemisphere) is going to be guaranteed to be warm and dry.

Echo Cliffs is pretty close to a guarantee. It's very unlikely that he'd get rained out for more than a couple days. And it's almost always ridiculously warm there. It's not really a destination crag, though, as others have mentioned. On the other hand, New Jack City arguably is a destination crag that (luckily) hasn't become a destination yet. The weather is not quite as predictable at New Jack as it is at Echo, but camping is free. SoCal isn't a world-class sport climbing destination, but between Echo, NJC, and Red Rock (only 2 hours from NJC) there is plenty of quality winter sport climbing.

Jay

roadstead

Aug 22, 2009, 2:34 PM
Post #22 of 32 (10195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hells Canyon IdahoWink

ccspikes

Sep 9, 2009, 9:36 PM
Post #23 of 32 (10015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
gblauer wrote:

You nailed it. For me the thrill of being able to go up and down the long routes so quickly with minimal gear compensates for the actual climbing being somewhat repitious. Plus the unique atmosphere is a nice novelty to keep one entertained. But for my son - who climbs a lot harder then 5.12 - it was kind of boring after he climbed out the Surfbowl the first morning. There are some harder longer routes though as well as other steeper areas not too far away if you can arrange transportation.

If your son was bored after one day at the Surf Bowl he must be a very one-dimensional climber. There are tons of steep climbs for the 5.12-5.13 climber throughout the park. There are some huge 5.13 roofs in the Pride area and some good long, hard climbs at the Mileski and High Life Walls. There are also several routes on the Outrage Wall that have yet to be freed. There are also miles of big unclimbed walls waiting for a first ascent.

olderic

Sep 10, 2009, 2:41 PM
Post #24 of 32 (9954 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ccspikes] Warm and Dry U.S. sport destinations for Winter? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ccspikes wrote:
olderic wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
gblauer wrote:

If your son was bored after one day at the Surf Bowl he must be a very one-dimensional climber. There are tons of steep climbs for the 5.12-5.13 climber throughout the park. There are some huge 5.13 roofs in the Pride area and some good long, hard climbs at the Mileski and High Life Walls. There are also several routes on the Outrage Wall that have yet to be freed. There are also miles of big unclimbed walls waiting for a first ascent.

He did a few hard longer things on the Outrage - I forget what - in the hard 12 easy 13 range I think. Developing new routes given the generally poor rock quality is not really viable for a short vacation.

But in general there is not the steep varied rock there that does exist at other areas not too far away.
As far as being one dimensional - he has been doing some hard mixed stuff in the Tetons the last few years as well as freeing some old granite aid lines in the northeast - a lot moer varirty then anything in EPC.

ccspikes

Sep 10, 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #25 of 32 (9920 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's good to hear that your son isn't hung up on just climbing steep juggy stuff like a lot of people I know. Still, I can't imagine anyone being bored at El Potrero Chico, no matter how hard they climb.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook