RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

shadowsandwich

Aug 23, 2009, 12:43 PM
Post #1 of 3 (655 views)
Shortcut

Finger Smash
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So last night I was racking a 20 lb dumbell and my index finger somehow became the middle man. I started RICE and took some ibuprofin to help with any swelling.

Day after eval: No evident swelling, bruising, or any other discoloration. Pain is localized in the middle phalanx, sharp but distributed, and presents when attempting any squeezing action. Using the other hand as a reference, I'd say that I can only apply 15-20% maximum pressure before pain presents.

Range of motion seems unaffected and pain during ROM eval was present but minimal. Obviously I'm out of the game for a bit, bit if anyone has an opinion about what was actually injured I'd be very interested. Hardman? Aerilli?

onceahardman

Aug 23, 2009, 3:29 PM
Post #2 of 3 (643 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shadowsandwich] Finger Smash [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

shadow...crush injuries don't discriminate much. You probably have injured several things to varying degrees. Bone, tendon, tendon sheath, articular cartilage, nerve, blood vessels, pulleys, volar plate, ligament, capsule, etc. Any or all.

First, rule out fracture. (x-ray). With a negative x-ray, just keep it moving until the pain goes away. This might be 4-6 weeks, or even more.

If you feel the need to splint it, splint in full extension, as flexion is usually easier to regain than extension.

Stop squeezing it to see if it still hurts. You can assess the function every few days, but tolerance to squeezing isn't very functional.

shadowsandwich

Aug 24, 2009, 12:17 AM
Post #3 of 3 (615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Finger Smash [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks for your input! I'll get an X-ray asap, and hope for the best. I've been looking for an excuse to work more on my butterfly stroke! ;-)

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook