Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sungam

Aug 24, 2009, 4:23 PM
Post #51 of 64 (2241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nattfodd] Screening test for n00bs - alpine version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dude, if I'm not laughing it's more then "bad taste" - I mean, I laugh at some pretty fucked up stuff, but there's no joke in your guys posts, unless unijim had thrown something extra in like "haha! time to kutz da rowp!" in an attempt to lighten the mood.

fresh

Aug 24, 2009, 7:56 PM
Post #52 of 64 (2230 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Screening test for n00bs - alpine version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

at the risk of being controversial, I didn't take that as a joke. if I was climbing with someone who had a friend who died, I don't think I'd be worried about her making any n00b mistakes. she'd probably understand way better than me that climbing is risky.

that said, if it was a joke... not funny. why? cuz it's really obviously not funny.

suprasoup

Aug 24, 2009, 8:21 PM
Post #53 of 64 (2223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nattfodd wrote:
kheegster wrote:
Number of friends who died climbing: N x -50 pts

No friends died climbing? 100 pts

Great, at last some easy way to lower my score!

That is beyond FUCKED UP!! Not funny on any level...

nattfodd

Aug 24, 2009, 9:45 PM
Post #54 of 64 (2205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's actually the very bad joke I was trying to make. That you don't laugh just means we have different senses of humor...

That being said, I have no friends who died in the mountains (and would like things to stay that way) and if I offended anyone by my post, which was really not my intention, then I apologize. I simply didn't think people would overreact like that.

sungam

Aug 24, 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #55 of 64 (2202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nattfodd wrote:
I simply didn't think people would overreact like that.
Overreact? I think the word you were looking for is react not overreact. Overreacting is what dramaqueens do in highschool, reacting is what people do when someone makes an out of line comment.

kheegster

Aug 25, 2009, 4:01 AM
Post #56 of 64 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FWIW I was piss drunk when I posted that. Apologies if you got offended.

On the other hand, death IS part and parcel of alpine climbing. Within a year of alpine climbing, thrice I've witnessed choppers doing body recoveries. If you're so sensitive about death, perhaps you should stick to the crags.

skiclimb

Aug 25, 2009, 4:07 AM
Post #57 of 64 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kheegster] Screening test for n00bs - alpine version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was looking for torsos and jawbones when you didnt exist yet. Seen a lot of idiots get lucky out there seen a very few impressively safe climbers die from uncotrollable situations.. seen more safe climbers die in car accidents.. dead honest on that..

I'm still here cause the few times i really screwed up didnt kill me or my buddies. And I havn't been exceptionally unlucky. Plus I'm a scardy cat

yeah i got the joke..definately made worse ones in my time.. but i sure as hell don't defend em..or suggest others overacted to my occasional terrible taste in comments.

(This post was edited by skiclimb on Aug 25, 2009, 4:13 AM)

uni_jim

Aug 25, 2009, 4:32 AM
Post #58 of 64 (2171 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have helped load a friend of mine into a stretcher so a helicopter could fly him off the mountain. I understand the seriousness of accidents in the alpine, and I do not think that it is something to be joked about.

I must not be everyone, because, personally, I was offended by the "joke."

sungam

Aug 25, 2009, 4:39 AM
Post #59 of 64 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kheegster wrote:
FWIW I was piss drunk when I posted that. Apologies if you got offended.

On the other hand, death IS part and parcel of alpine climbing. Within a year of alpine climbing, thrice I've witnessed choppers doing body recoveries. If you're so sensitive about death, perhaps you should stick to the crags.
Apology accepted.
It is, unfortunately, a part of it, in the same way that it's a part of driving - but I wouldn't find jokes about deaths from car crashes funny either. I think what irked me wasn't that there was a joke made about how people can die climbing, but the jerk was, as read, directed at the friends of the reader. Know what I mean?
And having a friend die as a rite of passage is just fucked.

uni_jim

Aug 25, 2009, 4:39 AM
Post #60 of 64 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

kheegster wrote:

REALLY???

It is not the sensitivity about death, but for the wellbeing of friends/family who we care about and love. STFU before you dig too deep a hole for yourself.

Guran

Aug 25, 2009, 8:33 AM
Post #61 of 64 (2149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uni_jim] Screening test for n00bs - alpine version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To be dead serious (no pun intended) for a moment, I do agree that, in the real world, I would trust a partner even more knowing that he or she had first hand knowledge of the reaper at work in the alpine. Really.

Chanses are that climber will be set on not letting it happen to me. Sometimes it is good to have someone else saying "I don't like the look of this. Maybe it is time to back off?"

So yeah, if this was a serious alpine-partner-credibility-test, previous experience of fatal or near-fatal accidents would be a huge score.

In a joke thread, though, it was a bit tasteless.

jaablink

Aug 25, 2009, 1:56 PM
Post #62 of 64 (2140 views)
Shortcut

Screening test for n00bs - alpine version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not to long ago a friend and I spent 10 days in the High Sierras climbing on the Hulk. The last day we were there, a guided party of 3 had finished their repels and the guide was pulling the rope, when it got stuck behind some large loose blocks about 100’ish off the deck. While the 2 guys that were being guided started to organize the gear. The guide moved left to change the angle and started tugging hard on the stuck line. It did finally come free and so did a head sized block with it, coming within a foot or two of hitting one of the party still wearing his now useless helmet…The guide paid it no mind… I guess “no harm, no foul” …

The guide said he had been climbing and guiding for over 15 years now. That is a lot more experience than me… how many points do you get for killing a member of your party? The only way to be safe up there is to be alert and use good judgment, and there is still no guarantee. As seen in my short years of climbing, sometimes those with experience get sloppy because they become too comfortable in this unpredictable environment. Alpine is no joke…

Guran

Aug 25, 2009, 2:26 PM
Post #63 of 64 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaablink] Screening test for n00bs - alpine version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No joke, indeed.

Actually, on a single pitch sport or trad i might choose a partner based on some short screening test (without going into details) but on multipitch or alpine I want a partner I know I can trust. Period.

Technical competence and experience is not all. (Heck, on the big stones I'm most certainly a n00b myself) What is important is that my partner share my view on acceptable risks, is open about his/her abilities and has a cool head in tight spots.

Most of all, shares the idea that a summit is nice, but life is better.

adnix

Aug 25, 2009, 5:27 PM
Post #64 of 64 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kheegster wrote:

I'll second this opinion. During my five years there has been one death (the anchor "broke"), one fractured skull (she was hit by a rock) and one quite severe frostbite (black toes - no need for amputations, though).

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook