RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

joshy8200

Aug 26, 2009, 6:00 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1899 views)
Shortcut

ATC-Guide Coating
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I had to buy a new ATC-Guide recently. I didn't notice (bought it off the internet) that the coating wasn't like the former smooth anodized coating. It has kind of a...rough if you will feel to it.

Anyone have any comments/experience on why there's a difference in the coatings of the ATC-Guide?

shrug7

Aug 26, 2009, 6:55 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joshy8200] ATC-Guide Coating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

It's textured for your pleasure.

And former as in a regular ATC?

climbncookie

Aug 26, 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bought a brand new one from mec the other day, it has a gray rough texture on the outside. Not the same smooth anodized that is on the regular ATC

vegastradguy

Aug 26, 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1751 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbncookie] ATC-Guide Coating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbncookie wrote:
Bought a brand new one from mec the other day, it has a gray rough texture on the outside. Not the same smooth anodized that is on the regular ATC

im betting that the manufacturing process is partially responsible for this, and/or its purely an aesthetic choice by BD.

shimanilami

Aug 26, 2009, 11:27 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dude, it's designed for guides, who are more hardcore and less image-conscious than the average climber, and generally too gnarly to pay attention to such trivia.

Obviously, you are not a guide.

coolcat83

Aug 27, 2009, 12:07 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's how mine is and I've had it for a few years, I'm guessing it's due to the manufacturing that needs to take place vs an atc xp or regular. also i remember something bd released about there being cosmetic issues with the finish on the early batches that it looked like cracking but it was cosmetic, mine's all scratched and beat up by now but where the rope has worn it's smooth it's shiny and uniform as it should be, it looks like they did a fine bead blast (most likely) or chemically pitted it before anodizing or coating.

(This post was edited by coolcat83 on Aug 27, 2009, 12:15 AM)

joshy8200

Aug 27, 2009, 4:50 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1582 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coolcat83] ATC-Guide Coating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coolcat83 wrote:
That's how mine is and I've had it for a few years, I'm guessing it's due to the manufacturing that needs to take place vs an atc xp or regular. also i remember something bd released about there being cosmetic issues with the finish on the early batches that it looked like cracking but it was cosmetic, mine's all scratched and beat up by now but where the rope has worn it's smooth it's shiny and uniform as it should be, it looks like they did a fine bead blast (most likely) or chemically pitted it before anodizing or coating.

Thanks, that's really useful information. My main 'issue' is that it seems like the new coating adds friction. The few times I've used it so far, it just seems a bit 'different' friction wise. Nothing grossly significant...but certainly noticeable.

coolcat83

Aug 27, 2009, 5:26 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

joshy8200 wrote:
coolcat83 wrote:

Thanks, that's really useful information. My main 'issue' is that it seems like the new coating adds friction. The few times I've used it so far, it just seems a bit 'different' friction wise. Nothing grossly significant...but certainly noticeable.

Mine started out a little sticky also especially on larger diameter fuzzed out ropes but now it's smoother than anything else I've used on my 10.2 lead rope, and I've used it on up to 10.5's and stiff statics and it's been fine. Just use the break in as an excuse to climb moreTongue

kennoyce

Aug 27, 2009, 5:42 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Yeah, I don't like the added friction of the ATC-Guide, I only ever use mine for miltipitch climbing where I want the guide mode. For regular cragging and rapping, I just use my normal ATC.

dan2see

Aug 27, 2009, 6:23 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The "Guide" is not coated. That's real metal you see there.

This summer I've been sharing ropes with other climbers and clubs, so the differences in rope friction really shows up.

For fatter ropes (fatter than my own 10.2) and especially for fuzzy ropes, the Guide will stick. So I use my Trango Pyramid for them.

On the other hand, we sometimes rap on skinny static cord, and the Guide will slide. So I use my old SMC figure-8 rappeller.

Recently I've been on climbs where the leader belays two followers. The Guide was designed for this. This seems to work really well with "Twin" ropes.

I like the way the manufactures keep inventing newer, better gadgets, although sometimes you gotta wonder. But you gotta be practical, and it's nice having a variety of gadgets to choose from.

ckirkwood9

Aug 27, 2009, 6:26 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The original one i bought was gold/anodized... worked beautifully.

I got a 2nd one (old style) with a harness package deal (harness/belay device/chalk bag) that was gray, like you mentioned, and the surface def has more friction. Thicker guage ropes, or older fuzzy ropes do not slide as well through the device like they do with the anodized version. I'm wondering if the gray device is less costly to manufacture then the anodized version (potential reason for including it in a package deal)

My friend has a rev-2 version (with 'teeth' on the break bar) is gray... also more friction than the anodized.

the rev3 is anodized.

shoo

Aug 27, 2009, 6:34 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ckirkwood9] ATC-Guide Coating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That is not an ATC-Guide. That is an ATC. The one with the teeth is an ATC-XP. They are different devices.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook