Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
Canon 7D, Panasonic DMC-GF1, and other new cameras.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

wes_allen

Sep 3, 2009, 2:37 AM
Post #51 of 60 (3305 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pico23] Canon 7D, Panasonic DMC-GF1, and other new cameras. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Yeah, need to stop posting late at night...

Yes, the jello effect is real, but fixable/dealwithable. The 5dII isn't a consumer video camera though, because it is hella hard to use well - manual focus, manual exposure, manual white balance, etc. is pretty much required to use it, unlike the off the shelf video cams. Also, the built in sound isn't great, so you need an external mike, if not an external recorder. But, once you if you jump through the hoops, the IQ is off the charts better then even the mid range, semi pro cams. And, being able to swap the high end lenses around is a pro feature for sure.

It used to be the still people were worried about videographers pulling stills and putting them out of biz. But, I think it is the video people that should be more worried about still photographers shooting video and putting the out of biz. Seriously, if you haven't checked out all the links in the 5dII thread, you should.

pico23 wrote:
Good you are back. You stayed out of the fray for a while.

First, in my post where did I mention Pentax?

Second, where did I say it was useless?

DSLRs with single CCD/CMOS has tons of issues that multi CCD cameras don't.

That is a fact. (hint, rolling shutter/jello effect, form factor of camera, etc)

Now argue with a fact without getting upset about Canon...

As far as 500 word post, well at least I can put into quantifiable terms why I like my gear. Not just that the adds said it's best, or that is what XXXX shoots. My favorite threads are the "What Camera Should I Get?"and some idiot writes a reply "Canon" without any explanation nor any additional questions as to what the OP needs in a camera system.

Like I said, glad to have you back, you've been quiet despite me baiting you many times, and I'm glad you at least have learned about the Limited pancakes. I remember a while back you were calling the Pentax a Pentex, so we have come a long way.

Wink

wes_allen wrote:
pico23 wrote:
and I can assure you, these cameras DO NOT replace a video camera for serious shooting.

To me this a great tool for instance, for adventure photographers (climbing photogs) who are not cragging, and cannot bring multiple cameras + a seperate video rig. for serious video people, buy a damn video camera.

You. Are. Wrong.

But, please be sure to tell us, using at least 500-1000 words, how a pentax film camera and a pancake lens is all any person really needs, because it is all you really need. Just keep on doing what you always have, there is no new tech worth learning about, no shifts going on in the photo/video world. Nope, nothing to see here, better get back the your chemicals. And be sure to tell those kids to get off your lawn as well....

JasonsDrivingForce

Sep 3, 2009, 1:14 PM
Post #52 of 60 (3296 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wes_allen] Canon 7D, Panasonic DMC-GF1, and other new cameras. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

wes_allen wrote:
It used to be the still people were worried about videographers pulling stills and putting them out of biz. But, I think it is the video people that should be more worried about still photographers shooting video and putting them out of biz. Seriously, if you haven't checked out all the links in the 5dII thread, you should.

+1

wes_allen

Oct 20, 2009, 4:35 AM
Post #53 of 60 (3233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] Canon 7D, Panasonic DMC-GF1, and other new cameras. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Assuming everything works as advertised, just about perfect for me.

http://www.usa.canon.com/...19584#ModelDetailAct

Hopefully there will be some available around the first of the year...

wes_allen

Oct 20, 2009, 4:42 AM
Post #54 of 60 (3232 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wes_allen] Canon 7D, Panasonic DMC-GF1, and other new cameras. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Little bit of video:

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/

JasonsDrivingForce

Oct 20, 2009, 4:57 AM
Post #55 of 60 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wes_allen wrote:
Little bit of video:

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/

Simply perfect. If only he shot rock climbing videos!
I can't wait to see your results when you get yours.

JasonsDrivingForce

Oct 20, 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #56 of 60 (3227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wes, so I see the specs and on paper they sound really impressive. However, in my novice eyes I find it hard to see the 2x price difference between the 1DS MKIV and the 5D MKII or the 3x price difference between it and the 7D.

It looks like the major differences are the new 1DS MKIV has 10 FPS instead of 8 fps(7D) or 3.9 FPS(5D MKII). The 5D is a full frame sensor and the new 1DS has a 1.3 crop factor. It looks like the 7D sensor is even smaller than the 1Ds. The iso 102400 sounds really cool and its low light capabilities are without question after seeing that Nocturne film. However, does that really justify the cost difference?

I have never shot with any of those cameras so I don’t really know how significant those differences are. To me it sounds like the 7D or the 5D MKII with the new video software update(Enables 24p) would be the way to go.

Can you help shed some light on what the benefits of the MKIV would be over the existing models?

(This post was edited by JasonsDrivingForce on Oct 20, 2009, 12:55 PM)

wes_allen

Oct 21, 2009, 2:53 AM
Post #57 of 60 (3211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] Canon 7D, Panasonic DMC-GF1, and other new cameras. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You pay big bucks to get the last few % of performance gains with just about any technology. The 7d is pretty close to mark4, and would probably work just fine for 95% of people. Same with 5dII. For me, the one big thing with the 1d series is dual slots - I use them all the time, either to write two copies of important shots, or to automatically switch cards when one is full. Also, when I shoot ballet or shows, I can tie spot metering to the active focus point with the 1d3, but not with the 5dII (not sure about 7d).

There is also a *feel* to the 1d bodies that doesn't show on a spec sheet. With 1d I just sorta think shoot and it happens. Very. Quickly. And, the custom options are usually much better, though the 7d has really caught up. Built in grip feels better then the add on one and is up for a bit more abuse. I shot an all day show in the rain last summer, and had no issues or worries, where others were either not shooting, or trying to cover their gear and shoot at the same time, etc.

So, in summery, odds are good that for most people, esp. non pros, the extra money for a 1d4 is better spent on glass, booze and/or chicks. But, for some, the extra is just a part of the cost of doing biz. at a higher level. We try to but one new body a year, then sell the oldest/least used. This year was 5dII, next year will be 1d4, and will give 40d to wife for second body to go with her 5dII. Year after the 1d3 or the 5dII will go and we will add another ect. So, most of our cameras get two full years of use, maybe three. New bodies are just built into the budget as much as we can.

JasonsDrivingForce wrote:
Wes, so I see the specs and on paper they sound really impressive. However, in my novice eyes I find it hard to see the 2x price difference between the 1DS MKIV and the 5D MKII or the 3x price difference between it and the 7D.

It looks like the major differences are the new 1DS MKIV has 10 FPS instead of 8 fps(7D) or 3.9 FPS(5D MKII). The 5D is a full frame sensor and the new 1DS has a 1.3 crop factor. It looks like the 7D sensor is even smaller than the 1Ds. The iso 102400 sounds really cool and its low light capabilities are without question after seeing that Nocturne film. However, does that really justify the cost difference?

I have never shot with any of those cameras so I don’t really know how significant those differences are. To me it sounds like the 7D or the 5D MKII with the new video software update(Enables 24p) would be the way to go.

Can you help shed some light on what the benefits of the MKIV would be over the existing models?

JasonsDrivingForce

Oct 21, 2009, 1:00 PM
Post #58 of 60 (3205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wes_allen wrote:
You pay big bucks to get the last few % of performance gains with just about any technology. The 7d is pretty close to mark4, and would probably work just fine for 95% of people. Same with 5dII. For me, the one big thing with the 1d series is dual slots - I use them all the time, either to write two copies of important shots, or to automatically switch cards when one is full. Also, when I shoot ballet or shows, I can tie spot metering to the active focus point with the 1d3, but not with the 5dII (not sure about 7d).

There is also a *feel* to the 1d bodies that doesn't show on a spec sheet. With 1d I just sorta think shoot and it happens. Very. Quickly. And, the custom options are usually much better, though the 7d has really caught up. Built in grip feels better then the add on one and is up for a bit more abuse. I shot an all day show in the rain last summer, and had no issues or worries, where others were either not shooting, or trying to cover their gear and shoot at the same time, etc.

So, in summery, odds are good that for most people, esp. non pros, the extra money for a 1d4 is better spent on glass, booze and/or chicks. But, for some, the extra is just a part of the cost of doing biz. at a higher level. We try to but one new body a year, then sell the oldest/least used. This year was 5dII, next year will be 1d4, and will give 40d to wife for second body to go with her 5dII. Year after the 1d3 or the 5dII will go and we will add another ect. So, most of our cameras get two full years of use, maybe three. New bodies are just built into the budget as much as we can.

Awesome post. Thanks, I see what the MKIV offers now. However, I hear a lot of people say that they wouldn't buy the micro 4/3s format because it is not a full frame sensor. They insist on only buying full frame cameras.

I know a 2x crop factor is a long way from a 1.3x but do you see this as a drawback for the MKIV? I would have thought that a top of the line $5000 camera would have the absolute best of everything. Is a "Full Frame" sensor not really that important?

wes_allen

Oct 21, 2009, 1:50 PM
Post #59 of 60 (3202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FF has some clear advantages, esp. if you like to shoot really wide - the 16-35 feels like a different lens on the 5dII vs. mark3. But, for me, most of the time, I just don't need to be that wide, in fact I kinda like the 16 -35 on the 1.3 crop as it keeps me from shooting too wide, which I do sometimes on the 5dII. FF also can give a little bit better background blur, and the IQ is maybe slightly better, all other factors being equal.

I kinda like having three crop factors, as it makes my lenses more versatile.

dlintz

Oct 21, 2009, 2:57 PM
Post #60 of 60 (3196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The autofocusing on the 1D series is a clear step up from the 5D series. It's probably not that big of a deal to most but for some (esp. sports photographers) it's a crucial advantage.

d.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook