Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Sport / TR in Phoenix AZ for newbie
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ckirkwood9

Sep 4, 2009, 10:28 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1221 views)
Shortcut

Sport / TR in Phoenix AZ for newbie  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Phoenix_Area)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello all,

Am headed to Phoenix with my g.f. for a week and wanted to get some climbing in. She's only been climbing for 5 months with weeks between actual days climbing.

Any suggestions on where to take her for a nice day of sport or TR?

i searched through regional discussions and have seen references to:

Uptown Crag
Capital Butte
oak creek spire
slide rock state park

But looking at those areas in the routes section is showing 5.10 and above.

Anything in the 5.7 range at any of these areas?

If not, any suggestions?

Last time i was in AZ, I visited Mt Lemmon and had a great time there, but i don't remember much below 5.10. I also climbed the spires in Sedona, a-m-a-z-i-n-g climbing there but also too hard for my g.f.

Thanks for the help!

C

LostinMaine

Sep 4, 2009, 11:05 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1218 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ckirkwood9] Sport / TR in Phoenix AZ for newbie [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was out in Phoenix last spring and climbed at Camelback Mountain. We did a route on the East side of a free-standing pillar called Praying Monk (I think). It required a bolted 5.4 approach, some walking, and a 5.6 start to a 5.4 climb. It was actually pretty decent (exposed) and it was easy enough for my wife to do. It was all bolted with an airy belay station and a free rappel to finish. Overall, a good climb. By 10AM, the rubber on my shoes was literally burning my feet.

lvpyne

Sep 4, 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1215 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ckirkwood9] Sport / TR in Phoenix AZ for newbie [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A couple of options, especially heat-wise (that's no joke about shoes melting):

1. Camelback Mountain, The Monk, 5.6 (the rest of the routes are super, super chossy.) There's also lots of fun bouldering going up the trail to The Monk -- mellow and hard stuff.

2. Pinnacle Peak, cool 2 pitch 5.3 that tops out with an awesome view of Phoenix. (This is a trad climb, however.) There are a bunch of other 5.9 and under routes that can be TR'd off of Cactus Flower Wall, but these require trad anchors.

3. Uptown Crag -- not huge number of 5.9 and under routes, especially for that amount of driving.

4. The Mine and The Pond areas of Queen Creek. (Check the weather, though -- The Pond could be pretty warm.)

5. Tall Wall at Mount Lemmon had a bunch of moderate (5.6-5.9) bolted 2 pitch climbs that are a lot of fun. http://www.mountainproject.com/...tcroppings/106228692

sonso45

Sep 6, 2009, 8:45 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1194 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lvpyne] Sport / TR in Phoenix AZ for newbie [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

when will you be in Phx? If it's cooler weather, the Queen Creek area could suffice. Hotter weather, head north to Jack's Cyn for sport or the Oak Creek Overlook for toproping.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook