RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

QSNelson

Sep 6, 2009, 3:46 AM
Post #1 of 24 (8451 views)
Shortcut

Good next level shoe after Defy's
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just looking for opinons on a good next level shoe after the having worn through my defys. I do mostly bouldering with periods of sport climbing in between. Looking for something a little more technical without being overly aggressive. For example my brother bought me a pair of Scarpa Boosters and were as the shoes are nice I feel like they are "too" aggressive for what I need right now. Some of the ones I am looking at right now are
-La Sportiva Miura
-Scarpa Vision
-Five.Ten Anasazi
-Five.Ten Galilo
-La Sportiva Cobra

I'm leaning more towards a lace up because I like the secure feeling they offer but am willing to hear from those wiser then myself.

mikebee

Sep 6, 2009, 4:04 AM
Post #2 of 24 (8442 views)
Shortcut

Re: [QSNelson] Good next level shoe after Defy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How about some La Sportiva Katanas?
I'm a big fan velcro shoes, so although the Miuras are great shoes, I'd want something that comes on an off more easily.

rhythm164

Sep 6, 2009, 4:05 AM
Post #3 of 24 (8441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the Anasazi lace ups are hands down the best shoe I've ever had.

QSNelson

Sep 6, 2009, 4:09 AM
Post #4 of 24 (8437 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhythm164] Good next level shoe after Defy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mikebee wrote:
How about some La Sportiva Katanas?
I'm a big fan velcro shoes, so although the Miuras are great shoes, I'd want something that comes on an off more easily.

I tired those and they actually didn't fit my foot all that well. I thought it was just La Sportivas but then I tried the Miura and those fits so I dunno

rhythm164 wrote:
the Anasazi lace ups are hands down the best shoe I've ever had.

Are you talking about the Red, Green, or White ones? I thought about the lace ups but every review I read mentioned a baggy heal which is why I can wear the Evolv Pontas

rhythm164

Sep 6, 2009, 4:58 AM
Post #5 of 24 (8421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the pinks, the heal is not particularly baggy. I've heard this too, but I've never had an issue. The white ones are the new version and the heals are supposedly alot snugger, although I've never tried them on.

Urban_Cowboy

Sep 6, 2009, 6:05 AM
Post #6 of 24 (8394 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhythm164] Good next level shoe after Defy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had a couple sets of lace ups, currently have the Miura VS, which are great, had the lace up Miuras before these, guarantee the laces will break in those. Velcro shoes are fine, I was skeptical too. My next set of shoes will probly be a set of Mythos, but not because of the closure system, just looking for a slightly more comfortable shoe.

QSNelson

Sep 6, 2009, 6:20 AM
Post #7 of 24 (8387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Urban_Cowboy] Good next level shoe after Defy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Urban_Cowboy wrote:
I've had a couple sets of lace ups, currently have the Miura VS, which are great, had the lace up Miuras before these, guarantee the laces will break in those. Velcro shoes are fine, I was skeptical too. My next set of shoes will probly be a set of Mythos, but not because of the closure system, just looking for a slightly more comfortable shoe.

Why would the laces break if I'm just bouldering and sport climbing wouldn't that be more of a crack climbing problem? I guess I don't understand how they would get rubbed to the breaking point, or are they just weak laces and break from tightening?

Urban_Cowboy

Sep 6, 2009, 6:29 AM
Post #8 of 24 (8383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The sheath of the Miura laces are incredibly weak. Everyone I've known that had a set ended up replacing them with accessory cord. Not sure why La Sportiva didn't choose a replacement for a known problem... But they were great shoes.

QSNelson

Sep 6, 2009, 6:33 AM
Post #9 of 24 (8377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Urban_Cowboy] Good next level shoe after Defy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

O that is a weird problem. If you dont't mind how far down did you size in the mirua lace ups? My shoe size is a 9 1/2 and i tried a 8 1/2 and the felt pretty good. should I go down another half size?

Urban_Cowboy

Sep 6, 2009, 6:37 AM
Post #10 of 24 (8376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go as small as you can tolerate, lol.

I don't remember what size they were, but they would become painful after a while. One of the reasons I'm leaning toward the Mythos as my next shoe.Wink

Partner angry

Sep 6, 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #11 of 24 (8341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's wrong with the Defy? If I had to only have one model of shoe, that would be it.

A soft comfortable shoe that edges and climbs cracks and sport.

Get a Pontas, it's more precise and edges a little better. You should probably get a Defy and Pontas, and only put the Pontas on for harder routes.

sidepull

Sep 6, 2009, 2:58 PM
Post #12 of 24 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is "the next level"?

rtwilli4

Sep 6, 2009, 5:43 PM
Post #13 of 24 (8283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Good next level shoe after Defy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:

A6+

newriverE

Sep 6, 2009, 6:03 PM
Post #14 of 24 (8277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The next shoe you get should be the one that fits your foot shape the best. Every big climbing shoe company makes a model that is good for "mostly bouldering with some periods of sport climbing in between. It will depend on things like, is your foot wide or narrow. Low arch or high arch. Long toes or short toes. All of these variables effect shoe fitting. If you have a wide front foot with a lower arch usually that means a five ten shoe will work well (like the anasazi velcro or the verde) if you have a narrow foot with a high arch try the sportiva miura vs or the testarossa. the optimus prime fits a lot of foot shapes well, but make sure and size it near your street size or it will not do what it was made to do. most people size that shoe too small. or if you have a really wide foot or long toes try the acopa merlin. it's an excellent all leather aggressive shoe. bottom line, go to a good climbing shop and put your feet into the shoes. i've had lots of models that i wanted to have work for my foot shape but didn't. don't settle for a poor fitting shoe.

QSNelson

Sep 6, 2009, 8:45 PM
Post #15 of 24 (8254 views)
Shortcut

Re: [newriverE] Good next level shoe after Defy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
What's wrong with the Defy? If I had to only have one model of shoe, that would be it.

A soft comfortable shoe that edges and climbs cracks and sport.

Get a Pontas, it's more precise and edges a little better. You should probably get a Defy and Pontas, and only put the Pontas on for harder routes.

The Defys arn't bad by any means but I would like something that edges a little better and is slightly more aggressive. Only reason Im even looking to replace is my Defys have a hole in the rand and I want to try something different. I tried the pontas but it seems like on most Evolvs when I get a good fit in the forefoot and toes I have this odd air pocket in my heel, that was my problem with the Pontas.

sidepull wrote:

the level after the last

rtwilli4 wrote:
A6+
I cant afford the gear

newriverE wrote:
The next shoe you get should be the one that fits your foot shape the best. Every big climbing shoe company makes a model that is good for "mostly bouldering with some periods of sport climbing in between. It will depend on things like, is your foot wide or narrow. Low arch or high arch. Long toes or short toes. All of these variables effect shoe fitting. If you have a wide front foot with a lower arch usually that means a five ten shoe will work well (like the anasazi velcro or the verde) if you have a narrow foot with a high arch try the sportiva miura vs or the testarossa. the optimus prime fits a lot of foot shapes well, but make sure and size it near your street size or it will not do what it was made to do. most people size that shoe too small. or if you have a really wide foot or long toes try the acopa merlin. it's an excellent all leather aggressive shoe. bottom line, go to a good climbing shop and put your feet into the shoes. i've had lots of models that i wanted to have work for my foot shape but didn't. don't settle for a poor fitting shoe.

I have a hard time classifying my foot but I'd say fat forefoot, skinny ankle, lower arch. I'm going to try on a few pairs of Anasazi and Galilo and see how they fit. In the Acopa area what about the Spectre I saw those shoes earlier and they kinda interested me but havn't seen or heard of anyone using them so no real feedback.

(This post was edited by QSNelson on Sep 6, 2009, 8:46 PM)

tobym

Sep 6, 2009, 8:52 PM
Post #16 of 24 (8250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [newriverE] Good next level shoe after Defy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what would you recommend for a really,really wide forefoot, with very short toes, and a low arch?

QSNelson

Sep 7, 2009, 4:52 AM
Post #17 of 24 (8202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tobym] Good next level shoe after Defy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tobym wrote:
what would you recommend for a really,really wide forefoot, with very short toes, and a low arch?

HEY! NO!NO! my threadMad

tobym

Sep 7, 2009, 6:58 PM
Post #18 of 24 (8159 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry Mr NelsonUnimpressed

rhythm164

Sep 7, 2009, 8:28 PM
Post #19 of 24 (8144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, were you on the floor kicking and crying when you wrote that?

skibum14

Sep 7, 2009, 8:35 PM
Post #20 of 24 (8144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you tried the Miuras, and they fit, what's the problem? Fit in a climbing shoe is obviously important; I'd not buy shoes over the internet without trying them on first. So, again, if the Miura fits and you like it, what's the problem? It's a fine shoe for pretty much everything - unfortunately, it doesn't fit me.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I think climbing shoes are too personal to expect a decent response to this question. Go try them all on, talk to the guy at the gear shop, and decide which ones you like the best. It's as simple as that.

QSNelson

Sep 8, 2009, 3:24 AM
Post #21 of 24 (8104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tobym wrote:
sorry Mr NelsonUnimpressed

I kid I kid

rhythm164 wrote:
Wow, were you on the floor kicking and crying when you wrote that?

Well laying in the corner in the fetal position but thats pretty much the same thing no?

skibum14 wrote:
If you tried the Miuras, and they fit, what's the problem? Fit in a climbing shoe is obviously important; I'd not buy shoes over the internet without trying them on first. So, again, if the Miura fits and you like it, what's the problem? It's a fine shoe for pretty much everything - unfortunately, it doesn't fit me.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I think climbing shoes are too personal to expect a decent response to this question. Go try them all on, talk to the guy at the gear shop, and decide which ones you like the best. It's as simple as that.

Thanks I think I've narrowed it down to either the Miuras or the Acopa Merlins. Thanks for the input guys.

xaniel2000

Sep 10, 2009, 2:15 PM
Post #22 of 24 (8028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Next level of Evolv shoes would be the Predators or Es Pontas. Preds are great for steep overhang, Pontas are a little more well-rounded.

QSNelson

Sep 10, 2009, 4:16 PM
Post #23 of 24 (8011 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xaniel2000] Good next level shoe after Defy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Funny enough I went with a shoe I hadn't even really considered before. The Evolv Optimus Primes. Had a friend who uses them for general boulder and sport climbing and they seemed not as down turned as I thought they were originally. I tried his on and they felt great, they only down side that everyones been telling me is that they are pretty bad on pockets. Now that being said I don't do alot of pocket climbing and for the few times I do I still have the Scarpa Boosters which should work good for that. Thanks to all the gave input.

newriverE

Sep 28, 2009, 11:36 PM
Post #24 of 24 (7806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acopa specter or merlin

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook