RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

rockjunkie

Dec 3, 2002, 10:33 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Boots- Winter and Spring in Banff
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I might be doing some alpine in Banff next winter and spring. I have a pair of La Sportiva Makalus. Will some gaiters be good for this ro different boots be in order.

stevo

Dec 3, 2002, 10:56 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Boots- Winter and Spring in Banff [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb here regularly. I have a pair of insulated leathers that work well all year round. I have to say though in the dead of winter my feet turn to blocks of ice and the screamin' barfies kill. If I had the financial means, I would pick up a pair of plastics for the dead of winter stuff and for the ski approaches. I would love to have a pair, but my 9-5er just ain't cutting it. My friend has the boots your talking about, he likes but says they are pretty cold and the non insulated people won't climb when it is 15C below, I don't know what that is in the yankee scale.
So, if you have the means options are always nice. Note, I do prefer hiking approaches in leathers over plastic.
Good luck and have a good time when you are here. What are you planning to hit up.. lots of good stuff.

petsfed

Dec 3, 2002, 11:02 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shoot, Makalus aren't hardly warm enough down here in the tropics of Wyoming. If you go leather, look at the Kayland Revolutions, the La Sportiva Nepal Extremes or the Scarpa Freneys. They are probably the best general purpose insulated leather boots. Be warned, the cheapest is the Freney, at $300 American, and the middle, the Nepal Extreme is $420. And the price of the Revolutions hurt almost as much as the boot itself (I could not fit comfortably in them, but you don't have my feet, so give em a go).

coreyr

Dec 3, 2002, 11:06 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Makalu's for winter???? I think you would be ok in the spring, but winter you could experience some extreme weather. I would'nt suggest them. I recently purchased a pair of La Sportiva Lhotse gore tex mountain boots. I was looking for a boot that would fit my needs that are similar to yours and these seemed to be the ones for me. Hope this helps!

bradhill

Dec 3, 2002, 11:15 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have Makalus, and have used them for all-day snow climbing and ice climbing. They do well for me down to about 10 F with vapor barrier liners. In Banff in winter in the mountains, though, it'll be more like -20 F. You'll probably want an insulated boot.

rockjunkie

Dec 4, 2002, 12:57 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be skiing, climbing and hiking in the areas of Roger's Pass and the Wapta Icefields. Anyone familiar w/ these areas?

sizzlechest

Dec 4, 2002, 1:12 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah like the basic just of it is, the weather in the mountains here is unpredictable, I was scrambling saturday and it was sunny and + 15c or around 70f, today its cold and snowy -8c. For Rogers and the Wapta in winter you probably want ski touring boots because the only way to approach to keep your sanity is to use skis in the powder, around banff usually doesn't get too much snow so you should be okay with those boots in spring, in a cold spell in winter you'd want double's or nepal extremes

hope this helps
kevin

rockprodigy

Dec 4, 2002, 3:30 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have some Makalu's too, and I've frozen my toes off on many winter ascents in Colorado, when I was young and stupid. The first time I used them in Canada was Mt. Waddington in June and I got frostbite! I have Scarpa Invernos now, which are a little overkill, but they're toasty! Makalus will not be adequate for winter climbing in Canada.

burr...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook