Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
climbing on the Laurelhighlands Trail?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

cilohabmilc

Sep 12, 2009, 3:27 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1949 views)
Shortcut

climbing on the Laurelhighlands Trail?  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southwestern_Region: Ohiopyle_State_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A few years ago I had heard that there was some climbing about 1 mile from Ohiopyle on the Laurelhighlands Hiking Trail. I've hiked the trail and there are some boulders, but I haven't done any significant bushwhacking. Anyone have any info?

truello

Nov 9, 2009, 1:51 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cilohabmilc] climbing on the Laurelhighlands Trail? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Did 18 miles on this trail yesterday. Passed these boulders and it looked like some opportunities but I'm not a boulderer and didn't stick around to see much.

We also passed these:
http://maps.google.com/...39.88054%2C-79.40553

They were pretty impressive... 30-40 feet high if not higher. I only saw the southern grouping of rocks, didn't realize there were more north. While it was quite a haul on the LHT, it looks like there is a forest road 1000' away that may be accessible.

Do these have a name?

Jarred8715

Nov 12, 2009, 1:09 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [truello] climbing on the Laurelhighlands Trail? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a couple of climbs approximately one mile past the bridge and the take out for the loop. just follow the bike trail AKA old railroad grade down canyon and keep your eyes to the left and you will see the climbs. there is oly a couple of good routs and one of the anchors for the toprope setup is a dead tree but dont let that scare you its solid. the other climbing in ohiopyle is near the cascades on medow. drive throgh ohiopyle and past the old staging area ther is a parking lot and follow the trail along meadow creek and you will come to a climbable crag best of luck and safe climbing... Oh Yeah... if you need aditional information just go to the Wilderness Voyaguers outfitter and ask them where thy take there climbing trips in ohipyle. Be sneaky about it though and act like you want to take one of their trip or else they might not give you any beta.

truello

Nov 12, 2009, 1:31 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jarred8715] climbing on the Laurelhighlands Trail? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've talked to some of the people working at Wilderness Voyageurs and they were always happy to give out any beta, albeit a bit lacking in detail since most of them are river rats.

Thanks to the work of Tim Anderson, there are a couple more very nicely developed areas. One in specific is Schoolhouse Crag.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook