Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Big Wall and Aid Climbing:
How many ropes to get down from Heart ledges on Salathe?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

TonySF

Sep 13, 2009, 10:35 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2822 views)
Shortcut

How many ropes to get down from Heart ledges on Salathe?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi everyone,

I've read conflicting reports re: how many ropes does it take to get down from (and haul up to) Heart Ledge on Salathe. Can anyone with personal experience please confirm if four 60m ropes would work?

Thanks

skiclimb

Sep 14, 2009, 3:12 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2777 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TonySF] How many ropes to get down from Heart ledges on Salathe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Technically if dealing with a haul bag... only One haul line is needed.

Heart ledges is permanently fixed. ( at least it's been years since i have not seen it fixed.. winter or summer) Usually Mammoth one rope above.

Many is the time I simply zipped up there just to hang out with a book and lunch.. no rope.

Partner pbcowboy77

Sep 16, 2009, 5:42 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TonySF] How many ropes to get down from Heart ledges on Salathe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is usually fixed but I would head up and do a recon mission to find out first. There have been times when the tools (rangers) cut them down...

marc801

Sep 16, 2009, 6:23 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2682 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pbcowboy77] How many ropes to get down from Heart ledges on Salathe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, it's usually fixed - but why not simply answer the question and just tell the OP how many ropes it takes?

vegastradguy

Sep 16, 2009, 6:45 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TonySF wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've read conflicting reports re: how many ropes does it take to get down from (and haul up to) Heart Ledge on Salathe. Can anyone with personal experience please confirm if four 60m ropes would work?

Thanks

as has been said, they're usually fixed, but the best bet is to head over to the Taco and ask over there (supertopo.com)- those folks are all valley rats and usually know the scoop.

salamanizer

Sep 16, 2009, 7:17 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

5 ropes, but it "is" fixed. Bring a line to leave behind as some of the fixed lines are mank. Should be good to go soon as the euros start showing up.

ptlong

Sep 16, 2009, 9:52 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Five (4 1/2) 50m ropes station to station. Four 60m ropes if you tie them together (you still clip them into each station).

Fixed ropes already there? Maybe they're in crappy shape? Maybe they're somebody else's and won't be there in the morning? Ask around, but if you're not sure...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook