Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

whippersnapper

Sep 14, 2009, 5:01 PM
Post #1 of 40 (22556 views)
Shortcut

Possible breakthrough in the field of stinky shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

On sunday I was out climbing at the crag, doing a few warm up climbs on some easy cracks. My shoes were stinking more than normal, and my girlfriend had some hand sanitizer with her, so I tried putting a light coating of the stuff on my feet before putting on my shoes.

After the climb, the smell was (almost) gone. To notice it, you had to put your face right up to the shoe.

Am I gonna die?

benmoreite

Sep 14, 2009, 5:29 PM
Post #2 of 40 (22508 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whippersnapper] Possible breakthrough in the field of stinky shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whippersnapper wrote:
Am I gonna die?

Absolutely.

Oh, you meant from putting hand sani on your feet? I doubt it. But I never would have thought my water bottle was dangerous either...

dlintz

Sep 14, 2009, 6:26 PM
Post #3 of 40 (22450 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whippersnapper] Possible breakthrough in the field of stinky shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

No "breakthrough" necessary. When you're done climbing put your shoes someplace where they can dry as quickly as possible.

d.

bobbj22

Sep 14, 2009, 6:44 PM
Post #4 of 40 (22429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] Possible breakthrough in the field of stinky shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

for some of us this is simply not enough..i think i need something industrial strength since my combo of Optimus Prime's and Sanuk's could evacuate a small building.

cavemanNdisguise

Sep 14, 2009, 6:49 PM
Post #5 of 40 (22420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear thin synthetic socks in my climbing shoes. Took a few climbs to get used to, but my shoes don't stink and I have no problems with "hot spots". The socks, however, smell pretty terrible until you wash them. I'm thinking the socks wouldn't help a pair of shoes that already stink, only a pair of brand new ones. My guess is the socks absorb the sweat which causes bacterial growth inside the shoe.

bill413

Sep 14, 2009, 6:50 PM
Post #6 of 40 (22417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dlintz wrote:
No "breakthrough" necessary. When you're done climbing put your shoes someplace where they can dry as quickly as possible.

d.

Which means not inside your pack.

bill413

Sep 14, 2009, 6:51 PM
Post #7 of 40 (22415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [benmoreite] Possible breakthrough in the field of stinky shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

benmoreite wrote:
whippersnapper wrote:
Am I gonna die?

Absolutely.

Oh, you meant from putting hand sani on your feet? I doubt it. But I never would have thought my water bottle was dangerous either...

However, if you start trying to eat with your toes, you'd best get help.

gwyn

Sep 14, 2009, 7:05 PM
Post #8 of 40 (22394 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cavemanNdisguise] Possible breakthrough in the field of stinky shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cavemanNdisguise wrote:
My guess is the socks absorb the sweat which causes bacterial growth inside the shoe.

I think it has more to do with the dead skin cells left in the shoe, or in this case, the sock.

CrazyPetie

Sep 15, 2009, 12:58 AM
Post #9 of 40 (22288 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bobbj22] Possible breakthrough in the field of stinky shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bobbj22 wrote:
for some of us this is simply not enough..i think i need something industrial strength since my combo of Optimus Prime's and Sanuk's could evacuate a small building.

I hear that, my girlfriend hates when i ever wear my Sanuks now. Although i must admit, i dont mind the smell of my climbing shoes, they smell like success.

dlintz

Sep 15, 2009, 3:30 AM
Post #10 of 40 (22238 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Possible breakthrough in the field of stinky shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
dlintz wrote:

d.

This is korrekt.

Shoe funk is all about bacteria thriving in a dark, moist environment. Remove moisture from the equation and all will be right in the world. I'm not saying you'll be smellin' roses but it will be massively improved.

Mind you I'm not talking about airing out the shoes every once in a while...you need to do it every time.

d.

asiaclimber

Sep 15, 2009, 5:52 AM
Post #11 of 40 (22192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.drscholls.com/...kup&searchArg=29
I use this once a month and have no problems with shoe funk. Note I wear Evolve and we all know they are the worst smelling shoes.

(This post was edited by asiaclimber on Sep 15, 2009, 5:53 AM)

code08

Sep 15, 2009, 5:56 AM
Post #12 of 40 (22190 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My favorite way is just to put drier sheets inside the shoes while you keep them in storage. No clue if this damages the shoe or not but it does make my feet smell like mountain air every time I go climbing :D

whippersnapper

Sep 15, 2009, 5:11 PM
Post #13 of 40 (22092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [code08] Possible breakthrough in the field of stinky shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Drier sheets sound like a good idea, I'm going to try that one.

I'm curious if anyone else has tried the hand sani method, it really worked well. I only did it once and the shoes have been good ever since.

iron106

Sep 15, 2009, 6:18 PM
Post #14 of 40 (22057 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anything you try will work to get rid of the smell right away. Cleaning your feet also helps.

Preventing them from growing smelly bacteria in the first place will be the better solution. Keep them in a low humidity, bright environment as much as possible.

Once they become infested airing them out will not fix your funk. Do one of your methods of removing the smell, then keep then cool, ventilated , and clean.

stevendo

Sep 16, 2009, 4:27 AM
Post #15 of 40 (21970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [code08] Possible breakthrough in the field of stinky shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

code08 wrote:
My favorite way is just to put drier sheets inside the shoes while you keep them in storage. No clue if this damages the shoe or not but it does make my feet smell like mountain air every time I go climbing :D

+1

lena_chita

Sep 16, 2009, 1:48 PM
Post #16 of 40 (21914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dlintz wrote:
bill413 wrote:
dlintz wrote:

d.

This is korrekt.

Shoe funk is all about bacteria thriving in a dark, moist environment. Remove moisture from the equation and all will be right in the world. I'm not saying you'll be smellin' roses but it will be massively improved.

Mind you I'm not talking about airing out the shoes every once in a while...you need to do it every time.

d.

I have to disagree. My shoes NEVER go inside the pack. They are either clipped to the outside of the pack, or clipped to my harness bag when I go in the gym. They are aired out.

It doesn't stop them from smelling quite horrendous.

shockabuku

Sep 16, 2009, 1:53 PM
Post #17 of 40 (21911 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Possible breakthrough in the field of stinky shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I borrow the rental spray and use it in my shoes every time I go to the gym. I make my kids do the same. It does not seem to damage the shoes (some of them are on multiple resoles) and it very effectively prevents the funk.

ckirkwood9

Sep 16, 2009, 2:08 PM
Post #18 of 40 (21901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like many have said, bacteria is the cause.

Kill the bacteria, kill the stink.

I keep a bottle of Lysol in the outside pocket of my pack and spray the inside of them after every use. Then i clip them to my pack.

It works great! I have a pair of Sportiva Mythos that have been resoled 4 times over the past 6 years and they do not smell at all.

If i stop using the lysol... stinky!

C

lena_chita

Sep 16, 2009, 2:26 PM
Post #19 of 40 (21893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Possible breakthrough in the field of stinky shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
I borrow the rental spray and use it in my shoes every time I go to the gym. I make my kids do the same. It does not seem to damage the shoes (some of them are on multiple resoles) and it very effectively prevents the funk.

While it certainly doesn't damage the shoes, In my experience it doesn't help the stink either, and only makes the shoes slimy inside after multiple uses.

I should add that there is one particular shoe model that is much stinkier than any other pair of shoes that I have owned--5.10 Sirens win the stink competition.

(I've had 5.10 Saphires, Evolv Electra, and la Sportiva Testarossa to compare to-- all got stinky with use, of course, but none got anywhere close to the Siren funk)

I have tried the drier sheets. I have tried Dr.Scholl's powder and the little plastic inserts with something in them... nothing works substantially.

But Sirens are still my favorite fit-wise, so I keep climbing in them, stink or not.

gmggg

Sep 16, 2009, 2:32 PM
Post #20 of 40 (21890 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Possible breakthrough in the field of stinky shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Urine is a great disinfectant. It also has the added benefit of returning hard old leather shoes to their soft and supple former glory.

sidepull

Sep 16, 2009, 2:40 PM
Post #21 of 40 (21883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Possible breakthrough in the field of stinky shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
Urine is a great disinfectant. It also has the added benefit of returning hard old leather shoes to their soft and supple former glory.

Well done! Then you could use your shoes for stepping on jellyfish and stingrays.

dlintz

Sep 16, 2009, 3:43 PM
Post #22 of 40 (21865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you are forever cursed with the shoe funk. Unsure

When I get home from climbing I open my shoes as wide as possible and set them in front of a small fan to speed up the drying process.

d.

dudemanbu

Sep 16, 2009, 3:43 PM
Post #23 of 40 (21865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I throw my shoes in the Dishwasher on the pots/pans/sanitize cycle once a month. Keeps them clean and smell free. As a bonus, it shrinks the leather slightly.

shockabuku

Sep 16, 2009, 4:05 PM
Post #24 of 40 (21854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

While it certainly doesn't damage the shoes, In my experience it doesn't help the stink either, and only makes the shoes slimy inside after multiple uses.

I guess your experience is different than mine. No sliminess, no stink.

gmggg

Sep 16, 2009, 4:10 PM
Post #25 of 40 (21851 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Possible breakthrough in the field of stinky shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
gmggg wrote:

Well done! Then you could use your shoes for stepping on jellyfish and stingrays.

I luvz da C critterz 2 much

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook