RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

gunkiemike

Sep 12, 2009, 11:22 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Remember the problems with Petzl ropes?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's been several months since we heard about those Petzl ropes that seemingly self-destruct (sheath damage) in a day or so. What ever happened about that? More to the point, did the evidence point to RED ROPES being especially prone to the damage?

Why? Because today I used a BRAND F'in NEW Blue Water Accelerator, 10.5 mm x 60 bicolor. Gorgeous rope. Gorgeous RED rope. And it suffered SERIOUS, like 3 years worth of careless wear serious, sheath damage on its first TR climb. This is a route I've set up dozens of times. Never seen a rope get shredded like this. No, the core didn't show, but the rope is badly damaged. And I ran my fingers over the only spot of rock the rope pressed on, and it wasn't notably sharp. I don't have pictures but it looks like the kind of damage in the first post of the "Petzl Zephyr Rope Warning" thread.

What are the chances that BW and Petzl (Cousin) got their red yarns from the same source?

The rope's owner will be contacting the outfit she bought it from. I'm not too optimistic about the outcome but will share whatever I hear.

vegastradguy

Sep 13, 2009, 12:52 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1845 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Remember the problems with Petzl ropes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:

What are the chances that BW and Petzl (Cousin) got their red yarns from the same source?

fair, actually. i also suspect that NE Ropes (Maxim) had the same supplier that initiated the recall.

there arent that many suppliers for nylon yarns out there- i dont know who uses who, but its not unlikely that its the same problem.

i would actually be fairly optimistic- make sure the owner insists that Bluewater gets that rope- in particular, Scott Newell- he'll want to see it for sure. if the shop wont do it, she should sent it back to Bluewater directly (they're in the SE, i think)- i'd bet good money Bluewater will replace the line.

gunkiemike

Sep 13, 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1688 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Remember the problems with Petzl ropes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Recall?? Did it go that far?

vegastradguy

Sep 13, 2009, 6:20 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1600 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
Recall?? Did it go that far?

NE Ropes recalled a bunch of their ropes last year because in-house testing revealed that some ropes were not passing the fall test, so they initiated a recall on the affected lines. I forget which ones they are, but I'm sure their website still has the info.

knudenoggin

Sep 27, 2009, 5:44 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1286 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
Why? Because today I used a BRAND F'in NEW Blue Water Accelerator, 10.5 mm x 60 bicolor. Gorgeous rope. Gorgeous RED rope. And it suffered SERIOUS, like 3 years worth of careless wear serious, sheath damage on its first TR climb. This is a route I've set up dozens of times. Never seen a rope get shredded like this. No, the core didn't show, but the rope is badly damaged. And I ran my fingers over the only spot of rock the rope pressed on, and it wasn't notably sharp. I don't have pictures but it looks like the kind of damage in the first post of the "Petzl Zephyr Rope Warning" thread.

P H O T O S ! ! ! Post some photos (and take 'em anyway
for your own sake(s)). Let's get this information out into daylight
and preserved here. This is really troubling, puzzling.

*kN*

gunkiemike

Sep 27, 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knudenoggin] Remember the problems with Petzl ropes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know, I KNOW. Photos are critical, but this isn't my rope and I'm not having luck getting the owner to respond.

knudenoggin

Sep 27, 2009, 3:38 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

>>> ... not having any luck getting the owner to respond.

Gently lament that, now, the only thing you have to satisfy
your urge to post images is the butt-shot video you have of her,
BUT if you got something to substitute like pics of the rope, ... .

Sly

Shintao

Sep 27, 2009, 4:10 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just commenting to this, don't know how relevant it is. I remember reading lots about Petzl ropes being rubbish, this was after I picked up my Petzl Fuse Green 60m for super cheap. I was worried but after a week of solid use there was no abnormal wear on the rope.

I was scarred out of my mind because my girlfriend likes to have ZERO slack in the rope when TRing... but even after some nice rock abrasion it seemed to hold up well. Don't know if Petzl fixed the problem but my rope seems to be fine.

vegastradguy

Sep 28, 2009, 1:11 AM
Post #9 of 11 (1033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Shintao] Remember the problems with Petzl ropes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Shintao wrote:
Just commenting to this, don't know how relevant it is. I remember reading lots about Petzl ropes being rubbish, this was after I picked up my Petzl Fuse Green 60m for super cheap. I was worried but after a week of solid use there was no abnormal wear on the rope.

I was scarred out of my mind because my girlfriend likes to have ZERO slack in the rope when TRing... but even after some nice rock abrasion it seemed to hold up well. Don't know if Petzl fixed the problem but my rope seems to be fine.

The Petzl rope in question was the Zephyr model- none of the others ever had any problems.

canterbury

Sep 28, 2009, 6:49 AM
Post #10 of 11 (985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea, i forgot about the zephyr thread and bought a zephyr a month ago. yea i know, bad idea. it's my first rope, so i don't have anything to compare it to, but it looks like it's wearing out a little faster than it should be. nothing like the pics in the original thread though. i'd post a pic but i don't have a camera right now. is this something that i can just contact petzl about and return it?

clausti

Sep 28, 2009, 11:00 AM
Post #11 of 11 (949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
Shintao wrote:

The Petzl rope in question was the Zephyr model- none of the others ever had any problems.

i wouldn't say none. camhead and i sent a non-zephyr petzl rope back for abnormal sheath wear. and it was not red. i concur that the vast majority of the problems with the petzl ropes seemed to be with zephyrs.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook