RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

rock_fencer

Sep 26, 2009, 10:50 PM
Post #1 of 13 (6126 views)
Shortcut

Synthetic Sleep Systems
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A few questions for you gear lovers.

How effective are the new sleeping bags that do not have insulation in the bottom? Designs like Big Agnes and such. If its so effective then why arent companies like Western mountaineering and feathered friends doing it?

I'm allergic to down according to the allergist. Does anyone with a confirmed down allergy regularly camp in a down bag? Im hesitant to put down the money for down if i wont be able to use it.

I have a golite 20 thats a tad over 3 lbs (extra wide and long) that i need to replace with something that fits me (5'10 145). Im trying to lighten my whole outdoor kit after a recent excursion into the mtns with a very heavy pack on.

Main uses are going to be for alpine, and extended travelling. Ideally weighs the least for the most insulatilon and money.

Edit: Im a side sleeper and i cant stand the skinny pads! Any prefrences on the air mattresses because i hate waking up with sore shoulders and then climbing!

suggestions and comments appreciated

cheers
T

(This post was edited by rock_fencer on Sep 26, 2009, 10:52 PM)

shrug7

Sep 27, 2009, 3:09 AM
Post #2 of 13 (6086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] Synthetic Sleep Systems [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I forget what model of big anus bag I have, and i'm to lazy and drunk to get off the couch.

But... the style I have has a sleeve system (Pad slides inside). I've used it car camping, backpacking and craging but would never take it on an alpine climb(I assume you mean for a bivy), to heavy (yet comfy). Not sure what Western Mountaineering has to offer sorry bud.

Look into ultralight synth bags if you're really worried about down.

(This post was edited by shrug7 on Sep 27, 2009, 3:43 AM)

rock_fencer

Sep 27, 2009, 9:45 PM
Post #3 of 13 (6013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump for more sobering Tongue suggestions

cheers
T

irregularpanda

Sep 27, 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #4 of 13 (6003 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shrug7] Synthetic Sleep Systems [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

shrug7 wrote:
I forget what model of big anus bag I have, and i'm to lazy and drunk to get off the couch.

drunk typing win. I hope that was an accident.

asiaclimber

Sep 27, 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #5 of 13 (5992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have 3 big agnes sleeping systems. I love them. 15deg synth, 30deg down and 45deg synth. They all perform really well if you get the right sleeping pad to go along with them. I have used my 15deg down to 0deg while sleeping on snow and had no issue(I am a warm sleeper by the way so this isn't because the bag will sleep tha tlow for a normal person). Like I said though, you have to have the properly rated sleeping pad to go along with it. One other thing, they are the lightest synth sleeping bags you can get.

seatbeltpants

Sep 27, 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #6 of 13 (5990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i had a bag for a while which didn't have down in the bottom, just a pocket for your sleeping mat. think it was a macpac - and from looking at their website i see they don't make one like that any more.

i think i know exactly why... it sucked. honestly, it just didn't work for me - the bag was light as anything and packed down super small which was great, but the thing was cold. damn cold. i think i used it half a dozen times if that before selling it on.

ymmv, but i wouldn't even consider buying a similar model again.

steve

tedman

Sep 28, 2009, 12:15 AM
Post #7 of 13 (5971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

been using a big agnes Gilpin which is rated at 15 degrees I think. Paired with the BA synthetic blow up pad, no heat issues, although havnt used it in the extreme cold yet.

I am likewise a side sleeper, and recently switched to a hennesey hammock. the thing is awesome! you can actually sleep on your side without having to switch sides every 2 hours because your shoulder is fcked. Bit of a pain in the ass to set up, but well worth it to be able to actually sleep.

rock_fencer

Sep 29, 2009, 9:09 PM
Post #8 of 13 (5875 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tedman] Synthetic Sleep Systems [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm ill have to see if i can find a hammock to check out for car camping. Though usually im with my gf camping so....

any other suggestions for synthetic Sleeping bags?

anybody have a direct comparison of Mtn Hardwares Thermic Micro vs. primaloft?

Would it be better to get a higher temp bag to save on weight and then rely on a insulated jacket? I almos always sleep in long underwear when its cold out, but dont really know how much i like the idea of sleeping in a puffy jacket.

cheers
T

dlintz

Sep 29, 2009, 9:35 PM
Post #9 of 13 (5863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the BA Gilpin (older 15 degree model) paired with the Dual Core pad. The bag is down and the pad is Primaloft synthetic. My climbing/camping partners hear way too often how much I love this set up. It works great to around 10 degrees (I'm a wuss when it comes to cold weather) and I can easily move from back to side to stomach.

I'm not violently allergic to down but enough that I don't use down pillows. That said the BA bag hasn't given me any problems.

d.

rock_fencer

Sep 29, 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #10 of 13 (5851 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] Synthetic Sleep Systems [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah im not violently allergic, my gf usually sleeps in a down bag next to me. but ive never actually slept in one and tested out my reactions. Problem is allergies develop with exposure ive found so even if im not now, i dont want to wake up and not be able to breathe the next day. The dual core pad is pretty heavy at over 2 lbs isnt it? Ofcourse that probably offset by the lighter bag.

ah the dilema.

anybody ever made their own sleeping bag?

dlintz

Sep 29, 2009, 11:02 PM
Post #11 of 13 (5847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doh! Just checked, I have the Insulated Air Core not the Dual Core.

d.

sspssp

Oct 1, 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #12 of 13 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rock_fencer wrote:
How effective are the new sleeping bags that do not have insulation in the bottom? Designs like Big Agnes and such. If its so effective then why arent companies like Western mountaineering and feathered friends doing it?

Edit: Im a side sleeper and i cant stand the skinny pads! Any prefrences on the air mattresses because i hate waking up with sore shoulders and then climbing!

I didn't think this sytem worked very well for side sleepers because it is set up for your entire back to be in contact with the pad . If you sleep on your side, isn't the part of bag that has no insulation going to be far too wide? But being a side sleeper, I've never tried it, so I'm curious to see the responses.

As far as pads, it is a tradeoff, but since I sleep on my side, and really only need cushioning from my shoulder to my hip, I've taken to buying a thick piece of foam and cutting it down to a rectangle that is about 3 feet long and 2 feet wide. Pretty light. No aching shoulder in the morning. You have to be pretty awake to roll over and reposition it though (the tradeoff part).

(This post was edited by sspssp on Oct 1, 2009, 11:19 PM)

lithiummetalman

Oct 2, 2009, 1:07 AM
Post #13 of 13 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Montbell Super Stretch Burrow Sleeping bags (what a mouthful)

http://www.montbell.us/...s/list.php?cat_id=31

They stretch with you as you sleep, so It's ideal for those who thrash or sleep on their sides.

Montbell synthetic sleeping bags tend to run on the narrower and shorter side (Seemed to be sized for the average asiatic frame), so for your height I recommend getting the long, (I'm 5'8 and some change and maxed out the length of the regular size)

Sleeping bags with no insulation on the bottom:

Pros:

-Sleeping bag lighter in general
-Insulation utilized more efficiently rather than
being crushed on the bottom

Cons:

- SUCKS FOR SIDE SLEEPERS (IMHFO)
- Some bags are finicky about which pads will work in
conjunction

In my experience, thermo micro and primaloft feel different, primaloft feels more down like than thermo micro, warmth wise...about the same, (Isn't warmth determined by loft amount; ability to trap and keep warm air? In addition, metabolism, diet, body type? Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Hope this helps!

(This post was edited by lithiummetalman on Oct 2, 2009, 1:08 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook