Forums: Community: Campground:
Sty's Post Count Increaser
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

donald949

Sep 30, 2009, 8:58 PM
Post #51 of 45342 (36539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
I did tree root 5.5 about 18 years ago. Looking foward to doing it again. I believe it was my first multi pitch. With a 50M rope it was 3 pitches. Last pitch being short.

Two years ago I did Ending Crack, 5.7. A great finger to hands crack, but with foot holds on the face.

Anyrate, none of the pitches are short enough to rap with one rope, so I'll break out my lightly used but old Mammot 11 for the tag line and bringing up the 3rd.

Actually, when I first climbed there, it was bolt free. As the rock takes pro well. But the bolts make for nice anchors for rapping off. The tradional descent is down the gully in the left of the pic. It mostly class 3, with a couple of class 4 sections, but a lot of exposure. So we rapped off a tree in the old days.

notapplicable

Oct 1, 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #52 of 45342 (36534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
churningindawake wrote:
Think I might go climbing at Smith Rocks for a day this weekend.

OK very nice.

If the Good Lord smiles on me once more I'll be off to Sespe Gorge and Pine Mountain over the weekend of Oct 10/11.

My marine buddy Tim from church is jonsing to go. Didn't take even a sec to say yes to a weekend of climbing. He was so excited, he invited Hector, our mutual freind from church. And Hector is jonsing to go. So it kind of all worked out, as I had to tell my wife that I kind of have to go now, the guys are really excited. Wink I like Hector, he's a real good guy, but he's never done multi pitch. I've also never shown him how to rap. We'll see how he does. Shocked But this way Tim will have to drag the second rope behind him to bring up Hector. Sly

Anyrate, I'm excited to head out.

Edit since I couldn't spell Tim's name right Pirate

Hopefully he's cool with mutipitch. It can be frustrating to get all geared up for a day of climbing but not be able to go beyond the first pitch because of a member of your party.

It's happened to me in the past and it sucked staring up at all that unclimbable rock the whole day.Frown

Just a hazard of introducing new people to the sport though.

notapplicable

Oct 1, 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #53 of 45342 (36528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
A pic from RC.knob showing Sespe Gorge, sometimes called the Black Wall

Oh, that shouldn't be too bad. Looks like mostly two pitches with bolted anchors. I'm sure he can handle that.

notapplicable

Oct 1, 2009, 11:07 PM
Post #54 of 45342 (36525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
I did tree root 5.5 about 18 years ago. Looking foward to doing it again. I believe it was my first multi pitch. With a 50M rope it was 3 pitches. Last pitch being short.

Two years ago I did Ending Crack, 5.7. A great finger to hands crack, but with foot holds on the face.

Anyrate, none of the pitches are short enough to rap with one rope, so I'll break out my lightly used but old Mammot 11 for the tag line and bringing up the 3rd.

11mm??

Good lord man, how old is that thing? I just checked their site and they don't even sell them anymore.

donald949

Oct 1, 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #55 of 45342 (36522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
churningindawake wrote:

OK very nice.

If the Good Lord smiles on me once more I'll be off to Sespe Gorge and Pine Mountain over the weekend of Oct 10/11.

My marine buddy Tim from church is jonsing to go. Didn't take even a sec to say yes to a weekend of climbing. He was so excited, he invited Hector, our mutual freind from church. And Hector is jonsing to go. So it kind of all worked out, as I had to tell my wife that I kind of have to go now, the guys are really excited. Wink I like Hector, he's a real good guy, but he's never done multi pitch. I've also never shown him how to rap. We'll see how he does. Shocked But this way Tim will have to drag the second rope behind him to bring up Hector. Sly

Hopefully he's cool with mutipitch. It can be frustrating to get all geared up for a day of climbing but not be able to go beyond the first pitch because of a member of your party.

It's happened to me in the past and it sucked staring up at all that unclimbable rock the whole day.Frown

Yea, I've thought about it though. It is easy to lower off the first pitch. We can even lower him from the second pitch to the first anchor. Heck the face is unbroken, such that if we had a 300 foot rope we could lower him from the top of the second pitch to the ground easy. The problem will be if he freaks on the second pitch, then if we lower him, he will have to tie into the anchor on the top of the 1st pitch by himself. So perhaps I'll have him second instead of third.
I'll have to think about it all.

donald949

Oct 1, 2009, 11:27 PM
Post #56 of 45342 (36516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:

11mm??

Good lord man, how old is that thing? I just checked their site and they don't even sell them anymore.

Around 15 years old, so its only 50M. I got it on sale at REI before I really needed a new rope. Its a dry treated rope and was only lightly used. But at the time I decided a 2nd rope was a good idea. So its in really good shape. However, since its so old I don't lead on it. Since I don't lead on it I don't climb on it, as most of the climbing is lead to an anchor and TR off that.
Plus, my brother bought another Mammut dry 50 shortly thereafter. So I really have two hardly used 15 yo 11mm 50M ropes. Crazy
My origonal rope is a Chounard non dry, way fuzy and well used 50. But I cut into two for mountainiering. Although it only saw a couple of uses at that. I'd get a new rope if I needed a mountain rope now.
Anyrate, I'd love to have another 60M Axis, except in blue to contrast with my red one.

donald949

Oct 1, 2009, 11:28 PM
Post #57 of 45342 (36514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:

Oh, that shouldn't be too bad. Looks like mostly two pitches with bolted anchors. I'm sure he can handle that.

Yea, thats my thoughts.

notapplicable

Oct 2, 2009, 12:09 AM
Post #58 of 45342 (36506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
churningindawake wrote:

OK very nice.

Yea, I've thought about it though. It is easy to lower off the first pitch. We can even lower him from the second pitch to the first anchor. Heck the face is unbroken, such that if we had a 300 foot rope we could lower him from the top of the second pitch to the ground easy. The problem will be if he freaks on the second pitch, then if we lower him, he will have to tie into the anchor on the top of the 1st pitch by himself. So perhaps I'll have him second instead of third.

Yeah you definitely want the least experienced person in the middle. Especially when it comes to rappeling, it always makes me nervous to either send an inexperienced person down first, or to leave them alone at the anchor. If a third person is available, I much prefer to have someone by their side the whole time for their first series of multipitch raps.

notapplicable

Oct 2, 2009, 12:17 AM
Post #59 of 45342 (36504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:

11mm??

Around 15 years old, so its only 50M. I got it on sale at REI before I really needed a new rope. Its a dry treated rope and was only lightly used. But at the time I decided a 2nd rope was a good idea. So its in really good shape. However, since its so old I don't lead on it. Since I don't lead on it I don't climb on it, as most of the climbing is lead to an anchor and TR off that.
Plus, my brother bought another Mammut dry 50 shortly thereafter. So I really have two hardly used 15 yo 11mm 50M ropes. Crazy
My origonal rope is a Chounard non dry, way fuzy and well used 50. But I cut into two for mountainiering. Although it only saw a couple of uses at that. I'd get a new rope if I needed a mountain rope now.
Anyrate, I'd love to have another 60M Axis, except in blue to contrast with my red one.

LaughLaugh

I've never even used an 11mm before but I've got a mental image of trying to stuff a well used one in to my atc being like trying to rapp off a garden hose.Tongue

My first rope was a 10.2 but it's been 9.8's since then. Not too skinny, not too fat, but just right. IMO of course.

notapplicable

Oct 2, 2009, 12:20 AM
Post #60 of 45342 (36502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/0/358330-work-SespeTopoJPGReduced.jpg[/image]

Yea, thats my thoughts.

From the look of that cliff, it should actually be pretty much the idea place to learn the in's and out's of multipitch. Have fun.

donald949

Oct 2, 2009, 12:39 AM
Post #61 of 45342 (36498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
churningindawake wrote:

OK very nice.

Yeah you definitely want the least experienced person in the middle. Especially when it comes to rappeling, it always makes me nervous to either send an inexperienced person down first, or to leave them alone at the anchor. If a third person is available, I much prefer to have someone by their side the whole time for their first series of multipitch raps.

He's climbed with us several time to 100 feet, and he's jonsing to go again. But hes never rapped. Since its multi pitch, 2 rope raps, I'm considering belaying him w/ 1 rope while he raps the other. Or just lowering him period. We'll see how he like being 150 then 300 feet up.

donald949

Oct 2, 2009, 12:46 AM
Post #62 of 45342 (36497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:

11mm??

LaughLaugh

I've never even used an 11mm before but I've got a mental image of trying to stuff a well used one in to my atc being like trying to rapp off a garden hose.Tongue

My first rope was a 10.2 but it's been 9.8's since then. Not too skinny, not too fat, but just right. IMO of course.

Well the old fuzy 11 was quite the chore to stuff through a Lowe tuber on rap. But there was very little risk of falling, as there was way toooooo much friction. If you let go of the rope, the tuber would lock down on the biner, and you could just hand out hands free. Took some getting used to actually holding down the rope on my new, as of several years ago, 10.2 gliding through the ATC XP. Laugh

donald949

Oct 2, 2009, 12:47 AM
Post #63 of 45342 (36496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/0/358330-work-SespeTopoJPGReduced.jpg[/image]

Yea, thats my thoughts.

From the look of that cliff, it should actually be pretty much the idea place to learn the in's and out's of multipitch. Have fun.

Will do thanks.

sungam

Oct 2, 2009, 9:52 AM
Post #64 of 45342 (36626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:

11mm??

15yo????
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *runz away*

Lazlo

Oct 2, 2009, 1:14 PM
Post #65 of 45342 (36507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:

11mm??

15yo????

I'd TR it in a heartbeat.

Lazlo

Oct 2, 2009, 1:15 PM
Post #66 of 45342 (36506 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe not TR solo though. teeth = bad

sungam

Oct 2, 2009, 1:26 PM
Post #67 of 45342 (36503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
I wudn't leadz t3h leed on it, tho.

donald949

Oct 2, 2009, 4:54 PM
Post #68 of 45342 (36493 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:

11mm??

15yo????

Be afraid...

donald949

Oct 2, 2009, 4:56 PM
Post #69 of 45342 (36492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
sungam wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:

11mm??

15yo????

Thats it.
Tthey are in good shape, not beat up at all, hardly climbed on heavy 11mm.

zeke_sf

Oct 2, 2009, 5:40 PM
Post #70 of 45342 (36491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
sungam wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:

11mm??

15yo????

Thats it.

I wouldn't worry about that rope at all. I'd worry about belaying it though. I don't think I've ever even belayed an 11mm outside of some gym ropes, and perhaps 10.5s that've fuzzed out to 11mm.

donald949

Oct 2, 2009, 5:46 PM
Post #71 of 45342 (36490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

Yea, I don't lead on it.

donald949

Oct 2, 2009, 5:53 PM
Post #72 of 45342 (36486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
sungam wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:

11mm??

15yo????

Thats it.

I wouldn't worry about that rope at all. I'd worry about belaying it though. I don't think I've ever even belayed an 11mm outside of some gym ropes, and perhaps 10.5s that've fuzzed out to 11mm.
How about a really fuzzy 11?

zeke_sf

Oct 2, 2009, 6:33 PM
Post #73 of 45342 (36481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
sungam wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:

11mm??

15yo????

Thats it.

that'd be a nurple to the durple double dawg

donald949

Oct 2, 2009, 7:51 PM
Post #74 of 45342 (36476 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
donald949 wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
sungam wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:

11mm??

15yo????

Thats it.

that'd be a nurple to the durple double dawg

????
OK, anyrate, my oldest rope is a way fuzy 21 yo non dry 50M 11mm. I don't use it for anything. But its till in the bottom of one of the containers.

churningindawake

Oct 3, 2009, 12:44 AM
Post #75 of 45342 (36471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
sungam wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

Yea, I don't lead on it.
good thing.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook