Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

andersjr

Aug 25, 2009, 1:51 PM
Post #1 of 36 (11401 views)
Shortcut

Average Climbers - How do we get over our height limitations
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am talking to all of you in the 5'7 to 6'1 range. We are stuck. We not only get screwed on routes that we have to scruntch up on, but we also encounter problems on routes that are "reachy." When will we win? Average at everything, good at nothing.

Damn.

pataphysicien

Aug 25, 2009, 7:27 PM
Post #2 of 36 (11353 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andersjr] Average Climbers - How do we get over our height limitations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm sad now

andersjr

Aug 25, 2009, 7:38 PM
Post #3 of 36 (11346 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pataphysicien] Average Climbers - How do we get over our height limitations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pataphysicien wrote:
I'm sad now
yeah, not being some freak, mutant or midget just screwed the average, everyday dude/dudette out there.

shimanilami

Aug 25, 2009, 7:42 PM
Post #4 of 36 (11341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andersjr] Average Climbers - How do we get over our height limitations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Depending on the route, I either wear stilts or stealth knee pads.

The real problem is with cracks. I wear welders gloves for wide ones, but I have no good option for thin ones except, "Crack, let me introduce you to my good friends hammer and lost arrow."

punk_rocker333

Aug 25, 2009, 7:43 PM
Post #5 of 36 (11340 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Start crack climbing. Height dependence is usually not an issue.

dynosore

Aug 25, 2009, 7:46 PM
Post #6 of 36 (11332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

andersjr wrote:
I am talking to all of you in the 5'7 to 6'1 range. We are stuck. We not only get screwed on routes that we have to scruntch up on, but we also encounter problems on routes that are "reachy." When will we win? Average at everything, good at nothing.

Damn.

Look at it this way, we always have an excuse.

andersjr

Aug 25, 2009, 7:47 PM
Post #7 of 36 (11330 views)
Shortcut

Re: [punk_rocker333] Average Climbers - How do we get over our height limitations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

punk_rocker333 wrote:
what if there is an earthquake and my hand is jammed in a crack? what if i have to cut my arm off? crack climbing seems too dangerous

pfwein

Aug 25, 2009, 7:59 PM
Post #8 of 36 (11319 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Average Climbers - How do we get over our height limitations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
andersjr wrote:

Damn.

Look at it this way, we always have an excuse.
Yes, and often a perfectly valid one. I'm a little short and a friend I go to the gym with is on the tall side, but we're both in about the range specified in the OP.
Damn route setters frequently set routes where it would be optimal to be shorter/taller than that, so we may both get shut down due to height limitations.

I am talking about on the same route (where you do a move either by a very long reach or by a super-skrunch sequence). I call it the "band pass filter" effect.

There's no way to "get over" this aside from insane surgery--you just need to accept it.

blueeyedclimber

Aug 25, 2009, 9:50 PM
Post #9 of 36 (11284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What are you talking about? This is the perfect size. If you are in this range and you also have core strength, flexible hips, strong fingers and powerful legs, then stop your whining!

Cool

lithiummetalman

Aug 25, 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #10 of 36 (11275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Our disadvantage is our biggest advantage

I_do

Aug 26, 2009, 4:45 AM
Post #11 of 36 (11236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

andersjr wrote:

Damn.

Yes having sufficient reach combined with fine power to weight ratio must really suck, being in the same height range as many top climbers must really be a setback, 6'3 and 195 pounds of sympathy for you dude.

roughster

Aug 26, 2009, 6:00 AM
Post #12 of 36 (11220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [I_do] Average Climbers - How do we get over our height limitations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lumping 5'7" with 6'1" is a joke but I regress. I used to climb with a well known climber when he was a wee pup. Dude (back then wee-dude) would float the reachy stuff with technique and power, and when all else failed: determination at no more than 5'2" or so.

Fuck the excuses, how about getting out there and enjoying the movement. Enjoy hanging out with your bros or babes on a sunny day. Focus on the vibe and the good times.

You don't need to walk up to every route and crank 1 time and turbodynoflagpimpcrossthroughfuckthathole monostylefreakythatshit in one shot. Enjoy the process. Each route presents a unique challenge to each of us. Why rush the best part of climbing? Figure it out how it works for you and send that shit and keep that shit-eating grin on your face for as long as you can.

newguy5000

Aug 26, 2009, 6:02 AM
Post #13 of 36 (11217 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roughster] Average Climbers - How do we get over our height limitations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rocket Boots.

andersjr

Aug 26, 2009, 11:13 AM
Post #14 of 36 (11188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [newguy5000] Average Climbers - How do we get over our height limitations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

newguy5000 wrote:
Rocket Boots.
I do like where your head is at,

Highcuu

Sep 10, 2009, 7:38 PM
Post #15 of 36 (11033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I am a the gym, I usually stow a couple holds and a wrench in my pocket. So if I encounter a difficult section, I just "find" a hidden hold.

This seems to work quite well, and the other climbers admire my ability to find beta for a route that they had not considered. Many of them look too narrowly at the climb and only see the tiny crimps and slopers, but miss the ladder rung jug next to it.

gmggg

Sep 10, 2009, 8:23 PM
Post #16 of 36 (10994 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Highcuu] Average Climbers - How do we get over our height limitations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Highcuu wrote:
When I am a the gym, I usually stow a couple holds and a wrench in my pocket. So if I encounter a difficult section, I just "find" a hidden hold.

This seems to work quite well, and the other climbers admire my ability to find beta for a route that they had not considered. Many of them look too narrowly at the climb and only see the tiny crimps and slopers, but miss the ladder rung jug next to it.

Those are some big pockets...

hafilax

Sep 10, 2009, 8:27 PM
Post #17 of 36 (10989 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Highcuu] Average Climbers - How do we get over our height limitations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Highcuu wrote:

Don't they get suspicious when there's no tape next to the hold?

The local guidebook has optimal heights next to the grades. I only climb routes in my height range.

damage

Sep 10, 2009, 8:41 PM
Post #18 of 36 (10983 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Average Climbers - How do we get over our height limitations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
Highcuu wrote:

The local guidebook has optimal heights next to the grades. I only climb routes in my height range.

i got strappy heels custom made for my shoes. 3" of stealth rubber.

Highcuu

Sep 10, 2009, 8:55 PM
Post #19 of 36 (10977 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Average Climbers - How do we get over our height limitations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
Highcuu wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I also carry a gear sling with rolls of colored tape. I keep a Sharpie with me too. Sometimes the original markings fade, and V10 looks like V0, so I correct all the V0s to read V10 again.

nthusiastj

Oct 2, 2009, 6:23 PM
Post #20 of 36 (10715 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First step:

Stop convincing yourself that height is a limitation.

Alpine07

Oct 2, 2009, 6:34 PM
Post #21 of 36 (10706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

andersjr wrote:
newguy5000 wrote:
Rocket Boots.
I do like where your head is at,

This reminds me that we haven't had a good newguy5000 thread/bashing in quite a while. Those were always a good time...

bandycoot

Oct 2, 2009, 6:42 PM
Post #22 of 36 (10700 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roughster] Average Climbers - How do we get over our height limitations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roughster wrote:
turbodynoflagpimpcrossthroughfuckthathole monostylefreakythatshit in one shot. Enjoy the process.

Is that from the Kama Sutra?

nextclimb

Oct 2, 2009, 7:01 PM
Post #23 of 36 (10682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where is Randy Newman when we need him?
Average climbers got no reason to live...

Maybe get the route setters to put in variable distance holds that allow you to customise the climb. Kind of like adjusting the seat of a car. Of course then what would e have ti bitch about in the gym.

Love the 3" stealth booties and taking your own holds and tape.

Maybe for the outdoors just bring your rock hammer and chip a few buckets in the right places.

curt

Oct 2, 2009, 7:23 PM
Post #24 of 36 (10667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

andersjr wrote:
punk_rocker333 wrote:
what if there is an earthquake and my hand is jammed in a crack? what if i have to cut my arm off? crack climbing seems too dangerous

Then the next leader can simply sling it-and clip into it as pro. Cool

Curt

sween345

Oct 2, 2009, 9:01 PM
Post #25 of 36 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Average Climbers - How do we get over our height limitations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://i129.photobucket.com/.../HughStageFright.jpg

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook