RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

bigbouda

Dec 4, 2002, 5:17 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2253 views)
Shortcut

Alpine Pilgrimmage French Alps
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey everyone & bonjour les copains francais!

I just convined my gf and boss that I need to take 5 monnths off work and take off to the French Alps and climb. I was thinking of Chamonix obviously but I'm scared its too much like Banff in the wintertime (ie overpriced & touristy). Does anyone know any locations really close to great climbing and skiing and not too pricy?

elvislegs

Dec 4, 2002, 5:24 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2253 views)
Shortcut

Alpine Pilgrimmage French Alps [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know alot of specifics, but I know if you have some money saved, you can live cheaply enough in the Chominix / Verbier area. I have talked to some who have done exactly what you are planning, but for a year or two, and for less than I am paying living here in Idaho. Mt. Blanc will be worth it dude. I am green with envy. Have fun, be safe, take a lot of pictures.

gooch

Dec 4, 2002, 6:41 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cliebt told me Les Arcs was great last year, good party too
BTW the weather is as lame over there as it is here right now

bigbouda

Dec 4, 2002, 6:46 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how bad is it gooch?
out est its been frikkn cold and we have some falls building up (very) slowly...
Do you know how the the Canmore area is doing up to now?
Partywise I know the french can hold their end of the stick. Spent 10 days rock climbing there 3 years ago and damn! they live life!

andy_lemon

Dec 4, 2002, 7:03 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Please post pics of Charmonix when you go! I want to see what a climber's town is all about.

gooch

Dec 4, 2002, 7:08 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

El Nino is definately in effect right now

We are Warm and Dry. 4c in the village and no snow to talk about, Canmore is a little colder, but i do not think they have much in the way of snow either

Goofy weather in El Nino years, I would expect that better weather will be in February out this way

After El Nino we usually have a cold year, so next year may be better for Ice Climbing

sunsation

Dec 4, 2002, 7:15 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope, last I heard there was no snow in the Rockies either. Though there is ice in the Canmore area. Rendog's your man for 411 there. Bigbouda, you got room for me in your luggage? Your gf won't mind, I'm reaaallly ugly...

stevo

Dec 4, 2002, 7:20 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cham would be a sweet place to go, so many routes, so much access. I would love to go, but the only thing that worries me is all the people, a result of the history and access. Funny, the exact reason I want to go. It would be great if someone who has been there for alpine, relate some of there stories, like crowding of routes, access, and so forth..
As far as the question about canmore, october and november were great, well the beginning of november, at the end it really warmed up and routes started falling down and taking a real beating. THere is no snow, basically, the ski hills are open but I wouldn't waste my money. I am considering some winter alpine due to these conditions, and new ice routing due to the easy access to remote places with teh little snow. Lots of ice to be climbed, but the weather is right messed, really warm, really cold.
later

bigbouda

Dec 4, 2002, 9:37 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sunsation, u can tag along no worries ! I need someone to belay me after all ! I’ll pay fer the wine and cheese.

thomasribiere

Dec 5, 2002, 7:58 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Salut Laurent,
Chamonix is overcrowded in winter time (many Scandinavians) and so is expensive. And it's not a good season for moutaineering, except if you are a very good mountainer, what I don't know. Not good either for rock climbing (wet and cold, even snowy probably).
And so are the Alps. Many ski resorts are just too expensive to live in during winter time...
I don't know what to say, buy maybe you should wait until the spring : better rock climbing and snow/ice climbing in summer time. But no ski?

coclimber26

Dec 14, 2002, 1:34 AM
Post #11 of 11 (2253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chamonix is a bit pricey in the winter, better to go in the summer. There are many places in Austria with good skiing/climbing. St. Anton, lechs, zurs areas are popular. But there is nothing like the access to the worlds best climbing via cable cars like Chamonix...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook