Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Did anyone in CO lose their rack recently?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Couloirman

Oct 8, 2009, 1:08 AM
Post #1 of 29 (2841 views)
Shortcut

Did anyone in CO lose their rack recently?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

http://shop.ebay.com/...g=&_trksid=p4340

Check this clowns auctions out

(This post was edited by Couloirman on Oct 8, 2009, 1:08 AM)

CrazyPetie

Oct 8, 2009, 1:15 AM
Post #2 of 29 (2831 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Couloirman] Did anyone in CO lose their rack recently? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hahaha i saw those "cam holds" yesterday, but i didn't realize he was also selling other things that are most likely stolen. I'm actually bidding on that #10 metolius tho, sorry to whoever is the victim.

dugl33

Oct 8, 2009, 2:24 AM
Post #3 of 29 (2778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Give me a break. That shit is OBVIOUSLY stolen. What if it was your rack? Gear thieves are the lowest form of life. This piece of shit doesn't even know a wired bliss from a black diamond. If you've been climbing since before wired bliss had slings you would know what your own shit is called. I reported every climbing item as stolen, maybe some others could help out and report it as well. Click on the report item flag... follow the drop down. Not sure if it accomplishes anything or not but we have to shut these low life pieces of shit down when possible., !! Thanks to Couloirman for posting this. Crazy

kylekienitz

Oct 8, 2009, 3:15 AM
Post #4 of 29 (2730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"rock climbing nut hold cam scrapper"

I have been looking for a good "nut hold cam scrapper" EVERYWHERE! No one seems to make them anymore.

This guy does.

moose_droppings

Oct 8, 2009, 3:27 AM
Post #5 of 29 (2716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] Did anyone in CO lose their rack recently? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dugl33 wrote:
Give me a break. That shit is OBVIOUSLY stolen.

Just a woman's intuition or do you got proof?
Tell us what you know, excluding your observation Sherlock.

dugl33

Oct 8, 2009, 4:06 AM
Post #6 of 29 (2692 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Did anyone in CO lose their rack recently? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you practice a sport for any period of time, you know its terms and jargon. You know the gear. You would say something like "old school .75 camalot jr." not "Black Diamond 5080 rock climbing cam hold". You would know if your tcu's were wired bliss rather than black diamond. You would know a flexible wild country friend is not a "Black Diamond Cam Hold 3". You would not call a nut a "cam-nut-hold". etc, etc. This guy is reading production stamps or something and trying to bullshit his way through. Kind of like you might do if just lifted someones stuff and you had absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Those wired bliss tcus with home-made slings were probably made in the early 90's and appear to be well used. Nearly twenty years later and you don't know what your own gear is called? Remember he's claiming to have bought the gear new, paid a ton for it! Doubtful. Glad its not my rack. I'd hunt the POS down.

moose_droppings

Oct 8, 2009, 4:16 AM
Post #7 of 29 (2686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have no idea of what may be any of a thousand circumstances for the way its worded.

Calling someone a thief, and reporting it stolen to Ebay with absolutely no proof, relying only on your narrow minded opinion is almost as bad as being a thief.

I agree it doesn't look right, but that doesn't make it wrong.
What you did was wrong.

kylekienitz

Oct 8, 2009, 4:34 AM
Post #8 of 29 (2678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to go ahead and disagree. I think the responsible thing is to report it. I'm not sure what actions Ebay takes, but they aren't going to send the police over to arrest him. If something that looks suspicious (as this obviously does) is brought to their attention then they have the power to check it out, and they will in the best way they know how (without offending legit sellers, and keeping stolen goods off their site) since it does have an effect on their business.

I'm also curious about the thousands of reasons for the wording. I would like to hear ten good ones.

pfwein

Oct 8, 2009, 4:41 AM
Post #9 of 29 (2668 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kylekienitz] Did anyone in CO lose their rack recently? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just food for thought: there was a somewhat similar posting on MountainProject recently; turns out the seller was almost certainly legit, just very out of the mainstream and used non-standard (and just wrong) terminology.

This posting seems more suspicious to me than the one on MP, but we should always be careful in accusing people of criminal conduct without solid evidence.

Investigating and drawing attention to it--that seems prudent, but hold off on the lynch mob.

kylekienitz

Oct 8, 2009, 4:55 AM
Post #10 of 29 (2655 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pfwein] Did anyone in CO lose their rack recently? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i agree. whipping up a frenzy always leads to erroneous assumptions.

dugl33

Oct 8, 2009, 4:56 AM
Post #11 of 29 (2652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pfwein] Did anyone in CO lose their rack recently? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The verbage on the e-bay form is "You suspect stolen property is for sell on ebay". This is what I reported. For god's sake its not my stuff, but in my opinion buying gear a reasonably prudent person would suspect was most likely stolen, this is what is "almost as bad as the theft itself". I guess I figure as a community climbers should look out for other climbers. That's the way we roll out west. If ya'll think I've jumped to conclusions, well, maybe you're right. Maybe the guy suffered a brain injury or had a stroke and that's why he's selling his climbing gear and assorted motorcycle parts. On the other hand, maybe I'm calling a spade a spade. I'll sleep ok tonight. I was just trying to look out for my fellow man. Apparently what I did was wrong. Oh well.

moose_droppings

Oct 8, 2009, 5:26 AM
Post #12 of 29 (2626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dugl33 wrote:
The verbage on the e-bay form........

But your verbage here was
dugl33 wrote:
That shit is OBVIOUSLY stolen

and
dugl33 wrote:
I reported every climbing item as stolen

I've already stated that it doesn't look right, I might even add suspect as an adjective, but I'm not asking for everyone to grab the pitchforks and torches and follow me.

the_climber

Oct 8, 2009, 4:40 PM
Post #13 of 29 (2508 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"North Face rock climbing cam pack vest holder"
With the description:
"will fit any size, my wife is 5 foot 2 and she used it and I am 6 foot 2 and 200lbs and I have used it. Its in great shape. "

If you look a the other guy's non climbing items he seems to know what he's talking about "non-climbing".

But then you look at the trends, a bunch of motorcycle shit auction ending 3 days, more bike parts 2 days, speaker/stereo stuff ending tomorrow, climbing stuff ending today.

Either the guy sells random parted out vehicles and is a complete tool who knows jack shit about climbing, or the guy is a crook.

milesenoell

Oct 8, 2009, 5:00 PM
Post #14 of 29 (2480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

+1 for OBVIOUSLY STOLEN!

It's easy to construct a story about how used gear came into your hands that you know little about, but he didn't even go that far. By claiming to have bought these things new all semblance of legitimacy is gone, and the ridiculous titles and bogus "measurements" on the pieces just reinforce this conclusion. This person not only didn't buy these pieces new, they don't even know what they have. If they knew even one person that climbed, or even went to the trouble to ask a few questions at a gear shop they could have made this questionable, but they didn't. Anybody who even bought these at a yard sale or Goodwill would very likely have gathered some information and not sounded so stupid.

Couloirman

Oct 8, 2009, 5:02 PM
Post #15 of 29 (2477 views)
Shortcut

ebay [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is why I did not say it is definitely stolen, merely asked the question of 'did' anyone in CO lose their rack recently and pointed out a very suspicious listing. I no where said this rack is definitely stolen, but if I had to put money on it, Id say he either owns a pawn shop and unknowingly bought it stolen from someone who came in, or found/stole it himself. Just my opinion.

photoguy190

Oct 8, 2009, 6:05 PM
Post #16 of 29 (2404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Couloirman] ebay [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are many logical reasons he might not know what he has, he owns a pawn shop, sells on eBay for friends, inherited the stuff. Who knows if, it was just the climbing gear it wouldn't seem so odd. With the other stuff that looks like it was stolen it makes one wonder. I think haveing one person flag it as stolen is ok, I don't think with out proof we should all go and do that. eBay can now look see what the seller's record looks like, does it all look stolen, and make a call. To be responsible climbers and looking out for the community I feel we just should just not buy stuff that looks stolen, If he is stealing and makes a lot of money he may realize he found a cash crop and steal a lot more. Let not let him realize its worth anything, and keep others from getting there gear stolen.

cloudbreak

Oct 8, 2009, 6:25 PM
Post #17 of 29 (2391 views)
Shortcut

Re: [photoguy190] ebay [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

+1 for stolen, or purchased stolen.

Look at the rest of his listings, like mentioned before. Somethings not right!

shoo

Oct 8, 2009, 6:38 PM
Post #18 of 29 (2377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

To quote from almost all of the auctions, for those who didn't actually bother looking, bolded for emphasis.

mlhitch70 wrote:
I bought it new and paid a ton for it, It is a Friend brand 2.5" hold. This is used so be aware of that but it is in good working condition.

There are only a few plausible explanations as to how someone can mislabel something so badly on an e-bay auction. All of these are a direct result of the person genuinely having no clue about what the gear actually is.

There are legitimate reasons that a person could own such items but not really know what they are. Some of you have presented some possible reasons, including pawn shop, inheritance, gift etc.

However, there is no reasonable way that a person could have bought these pieces brand new, used them for that many years (there's some old gear in there), and sell them, all without having any clue as to what these items might be commonly called beyond what is available on the engraved labels. The only scenario I can think of is the person bought them to give to someone as a gift, who later returned it somehow many years later. This is a ridiculous scenario, given the age and wear on the gear.

If this were a pawn shop, inheritance, or gift, then the statement quoted above is fraudulent.

Furthermore, the seller's other auctions contain an otherwise eclectic set of items. The only thing tying those items together is that they are items that are often stolen and resold.

The gear listing at best contains fraudulent information regarding how the gear was obtained, and is most likely stolen. There is no other conclusion a reasonable person can make given the evidence. It is not unreasonable to report these listings as suspicious.

(This post was edited by shoo on Oct 8, 2009, 8:55 PM)

TJGoSurf

Oct 8, 2009, 8:46 PM
Post #19 of 29 (2302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The real question here is, why are you going to ebay for gear?

milesenoell

Oct 8, 2009, 9:02 PM
Post #20 of 29 (2288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

photoguy190 wrote:
There are many logical reasons he might not know what he has, he owns a pawn shop, sells on eBay for friends, inherited the stuff. Who knows if, it was just the climbing gear it wouldn't seem so odd. With the other stuff that looks like it was stolen it makes one wonder. I think haveing one person flag it as stolen is ok, I don't think with out proof we should all go and do that. eBay can now look see what the seller's record looks like, does it all look stolen, and make a call. To be responsible climbers and looking out for the community I feel we just should just not buy stuff that looks stolen, If he is stealing and makes a lot of money he may realize he found a cash crop and steal a lot more. Let not let him realize its worth anything, and keep others from getting there gear stolen.

I feel funny for making this my issue now, but I've got to disagree with you. Anyone who has a pawn shop would know that it is worth taking 15 minutes to educate yourself about what you have for sale (and likely have practice finding info about odd items). People who regularly buy and sell things (very different from those who steal and sell things) learn that being able to identify rare or valuable items is where the profits are, and so they are careful to figure out what they've got.

As for just not buying it, this is one of those "If I don't do it, somebody else will" items. Somebody who doesn't realize or doesn't care is going to buy this stuff and the seller will recognize it as valuable whether he gets top dollar or just a bit of cash. He will also likely get better at selling things and make it harder to catch.

Couloirman

Oct 8, 2009, 9:08 PM
Post #21 of 29 (2282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TJGoSurf] Did anyone in CO lose their rack recently? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TJGoSurf wrote:

show me a shop that will sell me pre-c4 camalots and I wouldn't have to

TJGoSurf

Oct 8, 2009, 9:10 PM
Post #22 of 29 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A valid reason, but change is enviable. Once you embrace change your stress level will go down. And BD will stop sending those hitmen.

rockandlice

Oct 8, 2009, 9:57 PM
Post #23 of 29 (2244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TJGoSurf wrote:

Seriously? You're on a real roll today.

rockandlice

Oct 8, 2009, 9:58 PM
Post #24 of 29 (2239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TJGoSurf wrote:
A valid reason, but change is enviable. Once you embrace change your stress level will go down. And BD will stop sending those hitmen.

..it just keeps on coming.

rkepley_1

Oct 8, 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #25 of 29 (2193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just a woman's intuition

Just a climbers intuition....It's stolen

(This post was edited by rkepley_1 on Oct 8, 2009, 11:47 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook