RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Partner neuroshock

Oct 8, 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1323 views)
Shortcut

Old Black Diamond Fusion tools
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm hoping for some opinions/advice from those who are familiar with the Fusions (orange/black, not the new green). I pulled the trigger on a pair a couple of weeks ago for 50% off (from steepandcheap) because I couldn't make a decision at the time and figured that I could later determine whether to keep/return them. $270 for the pair was just too tempting.

I got the redesigned BD Vipers last winter and love them. I'd like to try my hand at mixed climbing someday (soon) and while I knew that I could just drytool with my Vipers, the gear whore in me clamored for the Fusions. They'll also come in handy, though not wholly necessary, when climbing with my girlfriend and other friends because then we don't have to swap tools nearly as much and can TR multiple lines simultaneously.

I've used the Petzl Nomics and I don't like the way they swing on ice. I've also used the BD Rage, BD Black Prophets (non-CF), BD Vipers (new), and BD Cobras (old) and liked they way they all handled so I've assumed that i'll like how the Fusions swing.

Questions:
1) Did I just make a huge mistake and should just sell the Fusions, still in packaging, to chossmonkey?
2) While I want to get on mixed/drytool routes, I'll be doing a lot of ice. Mostly WI3 to WI5- terrain. How do the Fusions perform as pure ice tools?
3) Should I pick up a couple of Laser picks for ice or do the Fusion picks work just fine?
4) I put full-sized hammers on my Vipers to give the head more weight. I'll need to do the same to the Fusions for ice? What's the point of the micro-hammer? (they came on my Vipers) For pounding pins without the head weight?

Thanks!
-Mike

granite_grrl

Oct 8, 2009, 5:13 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1277 views)
Shortcut

Re: [neuroshock] Old Black Diamond Fusion tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, if you sell them to chossmonkey I won't have to listen to him complain anymore......

......just saying.

chossmonkey

Oct 9, 2009, 7:44 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1228 views)
Shortcut

Re: [neuroshock] Old Black Diamond Fusion tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

1) Yes. For what it sounds like, there are better tools to fit your needs. Unless of course you plan on doing overhanging trad/mixed.

2)For pure ice there are better tools, supposedly. A lot of people really hate the swing. Apparently I didn't know any better and learned to climb with them. They drytool awesomely, I think better than Nomics, and you can pound pins, specters, and whatever else needs a beating with them.

3)I only use fusion picks on hard drytool routes with very little ice and lots of steinpulls. 90% of the time I climb with Lasers. They drytool fine. You will need to do some work to them with a file to get best DT performance. You can also make the fusion picks work better on ice by filing the sides a little to make them not as thick.

4)Full sized hammers make the Fusions swing better on ice. On ice and tradmixed routes I use the hammers for bashing. Micro hammers are a joke. I only use the blank heads for hard drytool routes where I want my tools to be as light as possible.

You will need to wrap the upper grip with tape. Don't use hockey/sport tape as it will ice up really quick. Most people use some sort of silicone tape. I like this stuff http://www.glasgowmfg.com/pages/magicwrap.html

eviljay

Oct 9, 2009, 9:31 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Old Black Diamond Fusion tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used the Fusions for a lot of pure ice routes. They work very well as long as you add the hammer heads and change to ice specific picks.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook