RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

trekker17

Dec 4, 2002, 8:20 PM
Post #1 of 17 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Michigan climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Im just starting to get interested in climbing, but the problem is there doesnt seem to be many options in michigan. I was wondering if any one knows any good climbing gyms in michigan or of any good spots to maybe do some bouldering? thanks

otherain

Dec 4, 2002, 8:40 PM
Post #2 of 17 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Michigan climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post

There are a lot of good gyms in the grand rapids area. Grand Ledge has some good outdoor climbing, also look for places up in Marquette

john1987

Dec 4, 2002, 9:22 PM
Post #3 of 17 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Yep grand ledge and marquette are really the only areas for outdoor climbing. Michigan does have some of the best gyms though. My favorite is climb kalamazoo but part of that is because the people there are really cool. If your looking for some big indoor walls go to plaet rock there is one in ann arbor and on in pontiac. There is another gym in grand rapids called inside moves but I havant been there so I don't really know anything about it. pm me if you want any more info on the places i mentioned.
John

[ This Message was edited by: john1987 on 2002-12-04 13:24 ]

trekker17

Dec 5, 2002, 2:23 AM
Post #4 of 17 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Does anybody else know of any places possibly in the upper peninsula along the lake superior? I spend a lot of time and the summer up there and wanted to check out the climbing/bouldering opportunities.

john1987

Dec 5, 2002, 2:48 AM
Post #5 of 17 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Marquete is the only place i know of for climbing in the U.P. go to:
http://www.trails-edge.com
for more information.
John

whitenight

Dec 5, 2002, 6:21 PM
Post #6 of 17 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

To add to your list of gyms, Higher Ground in Grand Rapids, it is small but the people are super nice.
I guess it depends what part of the UP you are in. My family climbs at least once a year at Triple A rock in the UP, however I have never been with them. I believe it is by Marquette. Recently I met someone who goes to school at Lake Superior State University and they said that there are some good climbs not too far away in Canada.

lazide

Dec 5, 2002, 6:34 PM
Post #7 of 17 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Where is freeland, mi? I live in traverse city, and as they have said, your options for outdoor rock is pretty limited. I would actually say non-existant. Grand ledge is... well a joke I am afraid.

the UP is supposed to have some decent (albeit short) rock, but at least from traverse it is a much shorter drive into southern canada, where there is some REAL rock. (300ft or so). If you know where to go, totally bomber quality stuff as well.

If you are in southern michigan, I would say your best bet is to go outside michigan all together. If you are near detroit, it is about the same drive to the Red River Gorge as it is to the UP.

(and the red is a whole heck of a lot better)

otherain

Dec 5, 2002, 7:13 PM
Post #8 of 17 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Vertical Earth is just outside of Grand Rapids on the Grand Valley campus. I hear there are some spots to climb up by copper harbor if your looking for and outdoor spot. I have never been there to climb, I am looking into it myself. I have also climbed at inside moves, it's not to bad there.

[ This Message was edited by: otherain on 2002-12-05 11:15 ]

trekker17

Dec 5, 2002, 8:36 PM
Post #9 of 17 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Freeland is just outside of Saginaw in the middle part of the state. I greatly appreciate all the replies so far and since my cabin is only a couple hours away from marquette, i think im going to look into the climbing around there.

vood00

Dec 12, 2002, 12:23 AM
Post #10 of 17 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

For your summers you should stop by Marquette or Houghton/Hancock. Marquette has a lot of good bouldering, there's some good climbing at Silver mountain near Baraga (inbetween mqt and htn), and a little north of Houghton there's quite a bit of climbing along cliff drive. You can stop by Down Wind Sports in Mqt or drop me a line (I work at the one in houghton) and we'll be glad to show you around. Cliff drive has stuff up to 5.11c and quite a bit in the 7-9 range. Also you can visit www.sos.mtu.edu/climb This is a link to the local club up here in houghton.

[ This Message was edited by: vood00 on 2002-12-11 16:25 ]

jackflash

Dec 12, 2002, 12:37 AM
Post #11 of 17 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

The closest gym to Freeland of which I'm aware is in the Midland Community Center. They converted a raquetball court into a small gym. Its just top roping now, but I believe they are planning on putting in a lead wall at some point.

CMU also has a rock wall on their campus, but I've never climbed there and don't know much about it.

wanlessrm

Dec 12, 2002, 4:17 PM
Post #12 of 17 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I went to picture rocks but found you can't climb there. I don't think anything has changed if it has someone let me know! IT look awsome!

benkiessel

Dec 14, 2002, 8:42 PM
Post #13 of 17 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

you all forgot the best gym in michigan. New Campus Climbing Wall in Traverse City. Know if any of you have been there you can back me up on this New Campus ROCKS! (pun intended) This gym has some of the best climbing in the world, go see for yourself.

www.traverse.com/people/poinsett/climb.html

northwood

Apr 3, 2003, 2:13 AM
Post #14 of 17 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Midland Climbing?? [In reply to]
Report this Post

Has anyone been to the wall in the Midland Community Center?? If so is it even worth the time to check it out. Also, I heard someone mention a gym being put up somewhere near Midland... if anyone knows anything about it, i would love to know!

jackflash

Apr 3, 2003, 2:33 AM
Post #15 of 17 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

The Midland Community Center gym is very small, and is expensive for its size. Is it worth checking out? Well, you seem to already be in the Midland area or at least frequent it, so I'd say its worth taking a look at least.

ejlim

Apr 3, 2003, 2:45 AM
Post #16 of 17 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Midland.... [In reply to]
Report this Post

Way back when, I used to live in Midland, and I ventured down to Planet Rock in Pontiac to climb a couple times....its a haul (couple hours I think) but its also a great gym. That's the first place I ever roped up :) The one in Ann Arbor may be closer...I'm not sure b/c it wasn't there when I lived there and its been long enough I don't remember how far anything is...

presto40

Apr 3, 2003, 2:45 AM
Post #17 of 17 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I think Planet Rock in Ann Arbor is a great indoor place, but I am new to climbing. I went to Inside Moves in Grand Rapids and the two guys working there were real dicks. The walls aren't very big compared to Ann Arbor, but that doesn't mean they don't have anything to offer.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook