RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

punk

Dec 4, 2002, 8:39 PM
Post #1 of 15 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Avalanche Beacon
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I need two of those...but I’m a gumby when it comes to pick one.
Any experience, recommendations, and top 3 contestants I need info before I commit to buying them

data118

Dec 4, 2002, 8:44 PM
Post #2 of 15 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Avalanche Beacon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That Mt. Washington Avalanche got you thinking, huh. Get the Avalung too, it looks like a good tool; can buy you value time.

bluesky

Dec 4, 2002, 8:59 PM
Post #3 of 15 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an old ortovox (analog technology) which requires a search pattern, the newer transcievers use digital technology to give a direction and distance, obviously making single and multiple searches easier.

On getting better deals, often shops and sites offer 2+ deals. Sometimes shops will offer an early season deal where they will order a batch and offer reduced price to all.

Here are a few of the current brands and models:

The ARVA (about $300)
http://www.climbaxe.com/avalanche_rescue/avalanche_rescue.html

DTS Tracker (about $300) and
Ortovox M2 (about $310)
http://www.mtntools.com/cat/alpineice/avalanche/safety.htm

[ This Message was edited by: bluesky on 2002-12-04 13:00 ]

nite_climber

Dec 4, 2002, 8:59 PM
Post #4 of 15 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have some choice when it comes to avalanche beacons. It is an expensive purchase and one that should not be taken lightly. Some of the transcievers available are ARVA Nic-Impex, Ortovox M2, Barryvox, SOS F1-ND. They all have their pros and cons and I can bore you to tears with technical detail that no matter which one you buy they all use the same frequency and blah, blah, blah.

After you decide which one and purchase it, make sure you learn how to use and it and practice. Most importantly, a beacon does not guarantee you will not be in an avalanche (as does carrying the proper gear). Seek proper avalanche training.

Good luck.

agrauch

Dec 4, 2002, 9:12 PM
Post #5 of 15 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Mammut Barryvox transciever that I like alot. Its easy to use and it has both digital and analog modes. At long ranges the transciever functions in analog mode. When you get closer to the victum, it switches to digital. In digital mode there's an LCD display that gives you visual help. This makes finding buried people faster than listening to a bunch of beeps.

You definitely need a lot of practice to use the beacon correctly.

punk

Dec 4, 2002, 9:29 PM
Post #6 of 15 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually was looking at the Mammut Barryvox transceiver is anyone else has any info/experience about/with them the Barryvox site doesn’t say much

telluryan

Dec 4, 2002, 9:43 PM
Post #7 of 15 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If i were going to buy another i would definitely buy the DTS Tracker. Seems so simple to use and is self explanatory. I have the Ortovox M2 and like it a lot as well.

May want to check ebay for transceivers. i got mine for a little over 100 dollars from someone in California who never used it after they thought they were going to spend a lot of time in the backcountry

bigo

Dec 4, 2002, 10:22 PM
Post #8 of 15 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a DTS tracker. It's easy to use and they have been made for so long that there is no question of their reliability.

Any of the digital, dual antenna models are probably your best bet.

elvislegs

Dec 4, 2002, 10:32 PM
Post #9 of 15 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One more vote for the Tracker. I have been carrying one around my neck and shoulders for two years now. Never had occasion to use it (knock on wood) but have practiced with it alot. My buddy had an M2 which was stolen. It was good, but he now uses the tracker. Simple, fairly good range, multiple burial option, etc. Great device.

sierramike

Dec 5, 2002, 1:41 AM
Post #10 of 15 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a guide, I recommend the Tracker. Why? The Ortovox, while a very good tracker is a bit tougher to master (not that you couldn't), but you need to hear the "pings". As you'll be in the backcountry, you know that the wind can howl. That makes it tough to grasp the "pings". Not impossible, but tougher than reading digital numbers. Also, sounds are tougher to hear when you have a helmet on. The Tracker is easier and fast, but has a shorter range than the Ortovox. Kinda makes you want to keep your partner in sight huh. Oh yeah, get a shovel (metal blade--$40) and a probe ($30). As everyone has mentioned---PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Have fun.

data118

Dec 5, 2002, 4:22 AM
Post #11 of 15 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do I really need to buy a probe? Instead, could I just use the pole from my tent?

coconutz

Dec 5, 2002, 4:47 AM
Post #12 of 15 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Punk,
good choice on getting a "little black box" for your person .
I have a tracker and like it a lot and I have a buddy that has a barryvox and he seems to like it a lot also as it is easy to use. Being a former Ortovox user for quite a while I can shed some light on the X1, F-1, and the M2.

The X-1 comes in a familiar looking package similar to the F-1 focus that has been popular for years. It is red with slightly different dials and a digital readout in the center. Above the digital readout are 3 lights that point the user in the 10,12, and 2 O clock positions. The strap is the same tight weave strap Ortovox has always used, with the “on” switch at the end of the strap. The beacon is operational only with the strap plugged in to the beacon. Rudimentary instructions are printed on the back of the beacon and a green LED on the side flashes when the beacon is transmitting. All in all, a fairly standard and familiar Ortovox setup.

Digital
On the box that the X-1 came in (and in recent ads), Ortovox claims “the X-1 is the first fully automatic digital, user friendly avalanche transceiver”. I don’t know where Ortovox thinks users have been since 1997 when the BCA Tracker came out, but this is obviously a blatant lie. To top that off, the X-1 is really only half digital. The directional lights and digital capabilities only function within 10 meters of the victim and there are no visual clues whatsoever above 35 meters.

Range
The X-1 claims to have a range of 65 meters, but again, this is wrong. In fact, only at about 45-50 meters was I able to get any type of signal at all. Because the operational range of any beacon is dependent on many factors, I conducted numerous searches with the X-1 and the transmitting beacon in different positions and orientations. 45-50 meters was still the maximum range. A little misleading is the assumption that this is a digital beacon with directional capabilities. There are no directional signals until you are within 10 meters of the victim. Further, there are only audio signals (noises) until you are within 35 meters of the victim. At 35 meters, numbers are displayed on the digital readout and are coupled with sounds of increasing intensity. Supposedly, as you get closer to the victim, the numbers decrease and the sounds get louder and more erratic. However, there was very little change in the audio signal between 45 meters and 20 meters and the numbers on the readout would jump from 35 to as low as 12 with movement of only a few meters. This made it very confusing to determine which way to go. The digital readout above 10 meters is almost useless because the numbers are so erratic. Basically, this translates to a useable range of about 10-20 meters for the beacon that is being billed as having a superior range. Another flaw was that even within the 10 meter range the sound had little variation until you were within 1.5-2 meters from the victim. Considering many victims are buried at this depth, it makes that feature useless as well. It also seemed that the microprocessor could not keep up with how fast I was moving, eventually overestimating the direction in which to go. This made for a longer tangent line (more curve) and more time to get to the victim. Not cool Zeus.

Multiple Burials
Ortovox claims that in multiple burial situations with the X-1 “the victims signals can be isolated automatically for identifying each of their burial locations”. This is apparently another lie, because there is nothing automatic about it. In fact, there is not even a special mode for multiple burials like there is on other beacons. Instructions say to mark the first spot where multiple signals are received, find one of the signals, and then return to the mark and find the other signal again. There is nothing automatic about that.

I think that the revert to transmit mode is very important beacuse if you are searching for a victim and another avalanche hits, the X-1 has no automatic revert mode so that you can be found. You have to hope that you can make the switch back to transmit mode manually before the avalanche hits you.

I feel that the Ortovox F-1 focus is a better product than the X-1 and that the BCA Tracker is better still. DO NOT buy an X-1 thinking that it will be as easy to use as the Tracker, have the range of the F-1, or represent the latest in beacon technology.

You need to pick one and learn to use it and quickly, it should be second nature. I would also suggest buying a probe (you know Black Diamond has some rockin' ones that just came out, seeing as you are a self described gear whore ) and you should learn to use it quickly also. And no you shouldn't just use a tent pole. As you are probing Up and Down Up and Down the tent poles has a tendence to pull apart like you were breakin' in down. A probe has a shock cord mechanism or cord lock mechanism at the end that allows you to keep in togather when pulling it out of the snow. Also I know most of them (including the new BDs) are graduated, kinda like a measureing cup, so when you stab you buddy in the head you know exactly how deep he is.

buy a tracker or barryvox and set up some "beacon olympics" with your buddies, looser buys the beers

[ This Message was edited by: coconutz on 2002-12-04 22:33 ]

sunsation

Dec 5, 2002, 5:12 AM
Post #13 of 15 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally I use the Ortovox F1. In my experience, it has the best range. Last year I completed my Organized Avalanche Response through SAR and we tested the range of a number of transceivers out in the field and the Ortovox came out WAY above the rest. In may take more practise to learn how to use it effectively, but in my opinion it's time well spent.

Your beacon is of limited use if you aren't also carrying a probe and a shovel. You will need to know how to use this gear. A course is an excellent idea and make sure who you winter travel with, takes it with you. No point in educating yourself if your buddy is in the dark and can't save you should the situation arise.

sunsation

Dec 5, 2002, 5:34 AM
Post #14 of 15 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do plan to test drive the SOS F1 this winter, should we actually get some snow.
Anyone out there had much experience using one?

raybo

Dec 5, 2002, 7:49 PM
Post #15 of 15 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the Tracker. You can't use your tent pole as a probe, as it will come apart when you pull it out. The avy probes have a locking mechanism to hold them together.

Check out www.avalanchetools.com. They were having a special with a free shovel or probe if you buy a beacon. I picked up my second Tracker there a few weeks ago. Prompt service and a good price.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook