Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

nynewbie

Dec 4, 2002, 10:30 PM
Post #1 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

I know absolutely nothing about climbing. Know a book that
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello. What my subject line reads is pretty much what I'm looking for. I've been thinking about climbing for a long time and have just begun reading articles and such in Outside Magazine about the sport and really know nothing about it. I am interested in learning the first most important steps, techniques, essential equipment, and basically anything I would need to know about climbing. I was hoping you'd know some good reads.

Also, as my name sugests I'm from New York, not that it matters, but I'm really not interested in climbing walls in a gym, I want to experience it first hand. Does anyone know any good beginner climbs in the NY / New England area or a good class?

Any help is appreciated. Cheers!

rck_climber

Dec 4, 2002, 10:35 PM
Post #2 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

I know absolutely nothing about climbing. Know a book that [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The "How to Rock Climb" series is pretty good from what I've heard, although I've never read them. I learned by linking up w/ a more experienced climber and belayed faithfully, soaking up all the knowledge he gave until he finally offered me the sharp end of the rope.

That's my suggestion for you as well. I don't know any climbers in NY, but you might want to PM Lew (AKA clymber), he's in NJ and might be willing to show you around.

Good luck.

Mick

boogirl

Dec 4, 2002, 10:45 PM
Post #3 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditto. Head to your local outdoor shop, Barnes and Noble or any good book store -- there is a whole series of "How to Rock Climb" books. Many of them are authored by John Long with contributions by various other climbers. After you've done some reading -- hit a climbing gym, hook up with someone experienced and hit the rock.

[ This Message was edited by: boogirl on 2002-12-04 14:48 ]

elvislegs

Dec 4, 2002, 10:45 PM
Post #4 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My advice:

How To Rock Climb by John Long.

Mountaineering The Freedom of The Hills The Mountianeers

...and find an experienced climber and hit the Gunks.

misha

Dec 4, 2002, 10:51 PM
Post #5 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would consider going to a gym. mainly for equipment reasons. go to central park (live near there?) and ask some climber to introduce you to some easy routes.

misha

Dec 4, 2002, 10:53 PM
Post #6 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

better start you off with a rigid sense of ethics. DO NOT CHIP HOLDS OR DRILL THE ROCK IN ANY WAY. DO NOT BOLT UNLESS COMPLETELY NECESSART.

go balls out and have fun.

gunkjunkie

Dec 4, 2002, 10:57 PM
Post #7 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi -

I'm not sure exactly where you are located - upstate NY - north of Albany or downstate. If you are down near the Gunks (New Paltz) there are three or four guide services that can guide on the preserve. My recommendation is to call Rock and Snow (914)255-1311 or visit http://www.rocksnow.com/ and ask what guide service they recommend. If nearer the Adirondacks try Rock and River Guide Service - http://www.rockandriver.com/.
I have never been guided by R&R but I have heard good things about them.

Deirdre

nynewbie

Dec 4, 2002, 11:11 PM
Post #8 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow! Can't believe how many replies I've received already, thanks a lot. Looks like I'll be checking out the "How to Rock Climb" series.

Misha, I do live in NYC, well, right outside of NYC in Queens. I've known about Central Park and was going to look into it too, but eventually I want to get as far away from the city as possible. Ha!

I know about The Gunks, well New Paltz, from mountain biking, thanks. I don't mind driving anywhere to get to a climb.

This is off the topic, but have any of you gone into it with fear of heights and have been able to overcome it? I don't think I have a fear of heights, never really liked them though. I don't know how I will react but climbing seems like it's all about confidence, intelligence, patience and a trust of gear. I think if you have these, you'll overcome the fear of the height involved. Also, the heights involved are really in the back of my mind, I love the challenge, both physically and mentally, but haven't really given thought to how I'd react. Any thoughts?

[ This Message was edited by: nynewbie on 2002-12-04 15:15 ]

nynewbie

Dec 4, 2002, 11:14 PM
Post #9 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah, Misha, thanks for the ethics intro. It's all about respect...

alwaysforward

Dec 4, 2002, 11:15 PM
Post #10 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a bit of a fear of heights, and while i've never been up to high, i concentrate on the climb so much that i forget about heights.

nynewbie

Dec 4, 2002, 11:16 PM
Post #11 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do you consider to be high?

Partner drector

Dec 4, 2002, 11:22 PM
Post #12 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nynewbie,

My partner (climbing only) seemed to have a fear of heights when we both started out. I had none. After about a 3 months, he had little or none. He was always brave and confident in his gear and would not let what fear affect him.

Good luck. Climbing is great. jhohn Longs books are good and they are what I used to get started. Try to practice anything you read such as the importance of footwork.

Dave

misha

Dec 4, 2002, 11:28 PM
Post #13 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love heights because I am scared of them. Sometimes when i am soloing or on a tall building, i get the urge to jump. does that ever happen to anyone?

elvislegs

Dec 4, 2002, 11:32 PM
Post #14 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some other books, dealing with the mental aspects of climbing:

Extreme Alpinism -Mark Twight

Fall of the Phantom Lord (sort of biographical)- Andrew Toddhunter.

I can lend any of the ones I have mentioned except How To Rock Climb if you would like. But your library will probably have them. PM me if you want to borrow any.

nynewbie

Dec 4, 2002, 11:37 PM
Post #15 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't believe someone here would lend out books. That's amazing. Thanks again, I'm going to buy some books. I love books, never needed to borrow em, if I read it, I want it on my bookshelf.

Misha, you should try base jumping. Or have you tried it already?

nbrown

Dec 4, 2002, 11:50 PM
Post #16 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a rock climbing basics book also and it looked like it would be good.

clymbhigh33

Dec 5, 2002, 12:28 AM
Post #17 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Newbie...

I am sure you know this (but hey in todays society one never knows anymore) but...reading is great to learn the terminology and basics of climbing. But to experience climbing, I suggest climbing with someone who really has some experience AND taking an "introduction to rock climbing class" or something like it. Climbing is pretty popular in your area, and a 1 or 2 day class costs about the same as a few books.

Climb On...
Climb High...

wv5ten

Dec 5, 2002, 12:32 AM
Post #18 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

on the heights thing...they are a complete mindf*ck for me. I can't stand them and yet it doesn't keep me from climbing

brutusofwyde

Dec 5, 2002, 12:55 AM
Post #19 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While checking out "How to rock climb" series, don't forget "Climbing Anchors" and "More Climbing Anchors" by Long. After 30+ years of climbing, I still learned new stuff from those two books.

Brutus
Old Climbers' Home
Oakland, California

climbinganne

Dec 5, 2002, 1:12 AM
Post #20 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

super cool of you sean

enigma

Dec 5, 2002, 10:10 AM
Post #21 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might want to check out www.gunks.com as well, its for people in the ny and surrounding areas with alot of information.
I would re-think going to a climbing gym as well,it will give you a taste of the height factor,make you stronger,build endurance and teach you alot of basics. Considering the weather now in NY , it realistically is your only climbing option. Unless of course you can travel to warmer regions. Think by the spring you'll be ready to go outside to the Gunks.
For the height,well try to remember you're on a rope and you're not going to fall to the ground on toprope .Good Luck

wildtrail

Dec 5, 2002, 12:19 PM
Post #22 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anything and everything by John Long. Also, Freedom of the Hills.

Read those, then get PROPER instruction. Either buy an experienced climber (one you can trust) or by taking guided courses.

Steve

Partner cracklover

Dec 5, 2002, 3:25 PM
Post #23 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My $.02

Heights: Yes, I had a reasonable fear of heights when I started climbing. It is much diminished now, but even then, it just added to the rush. When you start climbing, you should start with a style called toproping. Once you learn a few things, and conscientiosly follow good safety practices, this style is absolutely safe. So the only things you'll have to focus on are learning how your body interacts with the rock, and conquering your fear.

Books: Other folks have said it, but I can reinforce that How to Rock Climb and Freedom of the Hills are your two first books. I don't remember there being a lot on toproping in either of them, I'm afraid. But the principles of anchor building you'll get from those books, in combination with the experience you'll get from watching your new buddies build anchors in the spring (ask lots of questions!) should be sufficient. TR anchors aren't rocket science.

Also - I would recommend going to the gym at least once to take a class in the basics of belay safety and rope handling. You may also find it helpful to go a few more times this Winter in preparation for your first trip outside. Even if you hate the gym environment, here are some things you'll get from it: the chance to practice your new skills; the opportunity to meet people who climb outside and have toprope gear (read potential partners/mentors for the spring); and the chance to gain some facility in climbing movement.

And if you're still looking for a partner/mentor in the Spring, look me up.

Gabe

gunkjunkie

Dec 5, 2002, 3:49 PM
Post #24 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi -

I don't like heights at all & I HATE ladders. I found that it's not so bad when I'm climbing but when I'm at belays it bothers me. I just have to take a little extra time to get used to where I'm located, take a couple of deep breaths and I'm fine.

Deirdre

nynewbie

Dec 5, 2002, 4:44 PM
Post #25 of 44 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man am I pissed, I just posted this long response and when I hit submit the site asked me for my password and logged me in. It didn't post my response though.

I'll try it again....

Gabe (and everyone else), thanks for the reply, and I may just look you up in the spring. I think I found the deal of the century in NYC. ClimbNYC.com has a gym on 59th street and the membership is $200 a year. You don't even know how inexpensive that is for a gym in NYC, let alone a climbing gym. I'm going to look into it more.

An observation....are all good climbers tall and thin? I mean, I'm the opposite, and all the pictures of climbers I've seen are mostly tall and thin. I'm 5'5" and wide, not obese wide, broad wide. Am I at a disadvantage because of my size? I am in good shape though so I will have good strength and endurance but would someone taller then me have more choices of where to grip the rock then I would? Therefore, won't they be able to get up the rock more efficiently then I would? Am I making any sense or am I losing my mind here? BTW, I'm not worried about not being able to climb, I'll get up the rock, it's just more of an observation.

[ This Message was edited by: nynewbie on 2002-12-05 08:46 ]

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook