Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Toast_in_the_Machine

Oct 2, 2009, 11:47 AM
Post #26 of 41 (851 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Tips on keeping warm out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
If it's bouldering or single pitch, climbing shoes under the armpits when not climbing.

If it's multipitch, have sex at every belay ledge when you meet up with your climbing partner. If you're climbing with a group of three, plan ahead on who goes where in case there's limited space at the belay or hanging belays. It's really awkward other wise.

It is a shame when someone gives good advice and no one appreciates it.

jolery

Oct 2, 2009, 3:38 PM
Post #27 of 41 (834 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyscarlett] Tips on keeping warm out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely want to keep your core and head warm, and keeping the forearms toasty helps. I climb into the 20's when I have to, the biggest thing for me is to warm the hands back up between climbs and while belaying - warm gloves for this.

olderic

Oct 2, 2009, 5:50 PM
Post #28 of 41 (805 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If your feet are cold put on a hat.

ladyscarlett

Oct 2, 2009, 5:53 PM
Post #29 of 41 (804 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Tips on keeping warm out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
If it's bouldering or single pitch, climbing shoes under the armpits when not climbing.

!!!keeping shoes warm...what a thought! Recently had to stick my warm feet into cold cold leather. Yum.

In reply to:

If it's multipitch, have sex at every belay ledge when you meet up with your climbing partner. If you're climbing with a group of three, plan ahead on who goes where in case there's limited space at the belay or hanging belays. It's really awkward other wise.

this sounds amazing...I just need to find a partner(s) who don't mind taking a little extra time for the change over at the belay!

Which interestingly brings up another point. Generally, when climbing, I'm trying to make the belay changeover as quick as possible, especially since there's less light with the shorter days. All these layers, gloves, dodads, and thingamijiggers get hauled up the mountain with me and get packed in, taken out, packed away, taken out continuously. That seems like a lot of fiddling to me. Especially booties! Just pulling out gloves after a long pitch on a late day has my buddy eyeing the setting sun. Is it just accepted that in cold weather, changes at the belays will take that much longer? And take this into account when picking a climb?

Don't leave me behind because I'm trying to stay warm please!

cheers!

ls

Edvin

Oct 2, 2009, 6:03 PM
Post #30 of 41 (795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stick to the old "if your hands are cold, put on an extra sweather". So just dump all the gloves, socks etc. Just bring an thick down jacket or similar to put on at the belay, perhaps gloves could be a good idea but that's all. Will definately speed up the switch at belay

bandycoot

Oct 2, 2009, 7:26 PM
Post #31 of 41 (774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"ladyscarlett wrote:
In reply to:

this sounds amazing...I just need to find a partner(s) who don't mind taking a little extra time for the change over at the belay!

From personal experience, it is amazing. High Sierra is highly recommended...

If you're worried about losing time at the belays, make up for it in other ways, like climbing fast and doing things efficiently. I use belay gloves and can put them on and take them off in a matter of seconds. I've never had a partner complain about that taking too long. Also, if you're climbing fast with a fast partner there is less time sitting round waiting so there isn't as much body temperature variation.

Josh

Edit: fixed my quotes...

(This post was edited by bandycoot on Oct 2, 2009, 8:32 PM)

Partner xtrmecat

Oct 2, 2009, 7:29 PM
Post #32 of 41 (771 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Edvin] Tips on keeping warm out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second the merino wool. The stuff is great, and with a good base layer can go through a huge range of temps and still perform nicely. Also a second on the "if you feet are cold put a hat on".

Puffy jacket on at belays is nice, and as mentioned it can be shared by the partner to keep the pack small. If windy, shut it out with a wind layer as also mentioned, and manage the moisture underneath it. Mega important, especially if the descent isn't all that strenuous, but exposed and long. (rapping)

When out in winter here I always carry a portion or two of something fatty. It works to stave off the cold more than one would think. We used to carry a squeeze bottle of parkay, back when I did trips semi pro.

Seems like little ls is getting much more avid.

Bob

(This post was edited by xtrmecat on Oct 2, 2009, 7:30 PM)

kachoong

Oct 2, 2009, 8:29 PM
Post #33 of 41 (743 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Tips on keeping warm out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
If your feet are cold put on a hat.

This is closer to the truth than it sounds. Works so well!

I second the neck "gaiter" idea. I used to use a type of balaclava that I had for my motorcycle in the wintertime. It had a thick fleecy neck part with a thin silken head part that wouldn't restrict wearing the helmet at all. I used this ice climbing and also during the winter... kept the neck area completely closed up, without worrying about the complications that a scarf may produce.

Also, get an extra Nalgene... use it as a pee bottle and cuddle it immediately after relieving yourself... puts back the warmth you lose from peeing. Make sure to color-code your bottles. Tongue

rocknice2

Oct 2, 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #34 of 41 (722 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mecalekahi-mekahidyho] Tips on keeping warm out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mecalekahi-mekahidyho wrote:
If doing multi-pitch I would find a large animal carcas and make a large incision in the belly. Anchor the carcas at the belay station and hop on in.

This is what the third climber is for

LoveGettingStoned

Oct 2, 2009, 11:54 PM
Post #35 of 41 (699 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Smoke pot, then you won't care what the temperature is, and this is really true by the way.

hafilax

Oct 2, 2009, 11:57 PM
Post #36 of 41 (698 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LoveGettingStoned] Tips on keeping warm out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I get cold more easily when I'm dehydrated and hungry.

LoveGettingStoned

Oct 3, 2009, 12:22 AM
Post #37 of 41 (693 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Tips on keeping warm out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
I get cold more easily when I'm dehydrated and hungry.

You should know to bring those already.Wink

healyje

Oct 3, 2009, 12:49 AM
Post #38 of 41 (689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb through the winter in the Columbia River Gorge where the winds get pretty radical. This is a link to the system I use. Not all the stuff is still available so you'd have to substitute, but the basic gist of the system is still there.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/...d_Thursda#Post627781

ladyscarlett

Oct 13, 2009, 3:13 AM
Post #39 of 41 (633 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LoveGettingStoned] Tips on keeping warm out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to bring this back, but I just have to say this after a week of initial field testing

LoveGettingStoned wrote:
Smoke pot, then you won't care what the temperature is, and this is really true by the way.

Lies, all lies. This only works to a point, which actually isn't that cold. Just saying that it's not that good for the cold is all...

Didn't try the rock suggestion after my friend reminded me that hot rocks can explode...so I'm going to do a little more research on that one.

The point about the thumb loops for your shirts made a surprising difference! Same with the cheese/fat consumption suggestion.

Two additional discoveries

Red Bean Mooncakes!!! Better tasting than parkay or pure fat and all the staying warmth power. The Lotus ones taste better, but the red bean ones both satisfy and keep you warm.

And for those who don't wear socks with their climbing shoes -

Legwarmers...yeah yeah, I know, our favorite fashion statement after neon lycra. But they keep the lower legs/ankles warm when you don't have socks/boots on, helping your feet stay warm enough for just a little longer. They lay well under pants, and have this way of sealing in heat from escaping via pant leg. I guess there really is a reason why dancers use them!

However, they make changing your underwear a bit of a project, especially if you're wearing long underwear too.

Cheers

ls

TJGoSurf

Oct 13, 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #40 of 41 (605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I've been out when around 0 degrees out. I have no problems staying warm. I wear pants, tshirt(sometimes a fleece), and a hat. The hat is very important.

If you're cold I don't think you're climbing hard enough.

budman

Oct 13, 2009, 3:19 PM
Post #41 of 41 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fleece is a gift from the God's. Neck warmer and fleece hat crucial for me. Some one was offering neoprene wrist band that held the small hand warmers. Warmer goes on the inside of the wrist. Warm fingertips in really cold weather. Makes hand jamming harder but you compensate.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook