Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Sport Climbing:
Multipitching a sport route for practice?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

johnwesely

Oct 14, 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #26 of 44 (3037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [p8ntballsk8r] Multipitching a sport route for practice? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

p8ntballsk8r wrote:
Man my buddy was right when he said there are two types of experienced climbers: snobs and people willing to help.

Assuming you are not a troll, the reason we are not being helpful is that you are a huge liability. You are obviously out there climbing without an even basic grasp on even basic climbing skills. You are going to get yourself killed and ruin access and everyone's day.

qtm

Oct 14, 2009, 2:52 PM
Post #27 of 44 (3022 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Multipitching a sport route for practice? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LoL... there are two types of experienced climbers.

Those that see a clusterf**k in progress and stop and try to prevent the inevitable.

And those that walk away quickly and hope darwin is taking a day off.

johnwesely

Oct 14, 2009, 2:57 PM
Post #28 of 44 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtm] Multipitching a sport route for practice? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was out climbing this weekend, and I saw a girl on the route next to me rigging an American Death Triangle at the belay station. I told her that it was dangerous and a serious no no, and she promptly became very pissed off.

markc

Oct 14, 2009, 3:04 PM
Post #29 of 44 (3016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
I was out climbing this weekend, and I saw a girl on the route next to me rigging an American Death Triangle at the belay station. I told her that it was dangerous and a serious no no, and she promptly became very pissed off.

Even when you gently correct people, I've found the initial reaction is often defensive. I try not to take it personally. No one wants to think that they're being careless with their life and those of their friends. Hopefully she reflected on it later and did some further research. At least you did what you could.

acorneau

Oct 14, 2009, 4:07 PM
Post #30 of 44 (3002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:

[Thread drift]

Like everyone else (well, mostly) I understand how the ADT increases forces on the anchor points. We tell people not to do it. Blah, blah, blah. However, I don't see anyone complaining when they are rapping on an ADT from the ubiquitous two ring/bolt anchor systems.

Yes, I know a lot of places have chains/webbing/etc. with a "master point", and some places have the vertical chain/bolt anchors (a la Fixe Trad anchor) but just as many anchor/rap stations have two ring/bolts or some other horizontally-placed anchors/rap hangers.

Are we hypocrites for admonishing people for setting up ADT's in top-rope systems and then go ahead and rap off ADT's ourselves?

Just a thought.

[edit for typo]

(This post was edited by acorneau on Oct 14, 2009, 4:21 PM)

johnwesely

Oct 14, 2009, 4:26 PM
Post #31 of 44 (2991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Multipitching a sport route for practice? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:

[Thread drift]

Like everyone else (well, mostly) I understand how the ADT increases forces on the anchor points. We tell people not to do it. Blah, blah, blah. However, I don't see anyone complaining when they are rapping on an ADT from the ubiquitous two ring/bolt anchor systems.

Yes, I know a lot of places have chains/webbing/etc. with a "master point", and some places have the vertical chain/bolt anchors (a la Fixe Trad anchor) but just as many anchor/rap stations have two ring/bolts or some other horizontally-placed anchors/rap hangers.

Are we hypocrites for admonishing people for setting up ADT's in top-rope systems and then go ahead and rap off ADT's ourselves?

Just a thought.

[edit for typo]

When you rappel through horizontal rings. the angle of your triangle is so low that it is not really an issue. At least that is what I read in some book somewhere.

qtm

Oct 14, 2009, 4:26 PM
Post #32 of 44 (2991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doesn't "Climbing Anchors" 2nd ed book address this issue? I thought it said it was a bad idea in general, but only really dangerous on questionable anchors.

markc

Oct 14, 2009, 4:36 PM
Post #33 of 44 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Something else to consider are the forces being applied. With rappelling, there's going to be less weight applied than you experience with someone falling.

When rappelling, you're generally working with what's there. When you're building a toprope anchor, you should be bringing enough equipment to do a proper job of it. It's easy enough to rig an anchor without creating the ADT, so why would you intentionally create a system that increases force?

acorneau

Oct 14, 2009, 5:16 PM
Post #34 of 44 (2970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtm] Multipitching a sport route for practice? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

qtm wrote:
Doesn't "Climbing Anchors" 2nd ed book address this issue?

I don't own the 2nd edition so someone else will have to confirm that one.

In reply to:
I thought it said it was a bad idea in general, but only really dangerous on questionable anchors.

[Devil's advocate] If it's only dangerous on questionable anchors then, assuming bomber anchors, why should we worry about it on top-rope systems? [/DA]

acorneau

Oct 14, 2009, 5:23 PM
Post #35 of 44 (2962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Multipitching a sport route for practice? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

markc wrote:
Something else to consider are the forces being applied. With rappelling, there's going to be less weight applied than you experience with someone falling.

Some sources* state that rap anchor forces can reach 1,000 pounds. I'd say that's pretty comparable with a top-rope scenario.

In reply to:
When rappelling, you're generally working with what's there. When you're building a toprope anchor, you should be bringing enough equipment to do a proper job of it. It's easy enough to rig an anchor without creating the ADT, so why would you intentionally create a system that increases force?

Good logic and I agree. Just stirring the ol' grey matter.
* How to Rappel! http://books.google.com/...e&q=&f=false

markc

Oct 14, 2009, 5:28 PM
Post #36 of 44 (2958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
qtm wrote:

In reply to:
I thought it said it was a bad idea in general, but only really dangerous on questionable anchors.

[Devil's advocate] If it's only dangerous on questionable anchors then, assuming bomber anchors, why should we worry about it on top-rope systems? [/DA]

There is a higher risk without any clear benefit. That should be reason enough. To draw out your example: If the installed hardware is bomber, anchoring to one bolt is safe. However, if you're wrong about the quality of the bolt the consequences could be catastrophic.

kachoong

Oct 14, 2009, 5:34 PM
Post #37 of 44 (2954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
qtm wrote:

I believe it does address this, and states that is really only a problem when "rigged to abysmal primary anchors".

acorneau wrote:
In reply to:

In a top rope situation you have the bonus of coming back to retrieve your set up. If the bolts are good and you're only rapping down, then threading the rope (through say two metolius rap bolts) in order to leave nothing behind should be considered ok practice.

markc

Oct 14, 2009, 5:46 PM
Post #38 of 44 (2946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
markc wrote:

Some sources* state that rap anchor forces can reach 1,000 pounds. I'd say that's pretty comparable with a top-rope scenario.

* How to Rappel! http://books.google.com/...e&q=&f=false

That seems like an overstated estimate, even with quite a bit of bouncing. I'd be curious to know the math behind that.

I found the following reprinted from Climbing, which states loads of over 1,000 pounds have been generated from top-rope falls with slack in the system. If the How to Rappel! number is accurate, the force is closer than I would have guessed.

edit - tag

(This post was edited by markc on Oct 14, 2009, 5:48 PM)

hafilax

Oct 14, 2009, 5:52 PM
Post #39 of 44 (2941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

[Thread drift]

Just a thought.

[edit for typo]
If somebody is building an ADT then the bolts probably aren't set up for rappelling and they are probably feeding webbing through thin, unrounded bolt hangers and running the rope over the webbing. It's probably not a big deal but there is a non-negligible chance of total anchor failure IMO.

After pulling the rope you're leaving behind gear that is of questionable safety that somebody else will have to deal with which is the bigger issue to me.

shimanilami

Oct 14, 2009, 5:59 PM
Post #40 of 44 (2938 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Multipitching a sport route for practice? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

markc wrote:
Even when you gently correct people, I've found the initial reaction is often defensive. I try not to take it personally. No one wants to think that they're being careless with their life and those of their friends. Hopefully she reflected on it later and did some further research. At least you did what you could.

Thread drift ...

I saw a guy belay his complete neophyte girlfriend up a TR, then drop her in virtual free fall for about 60' before catching her and launching himself up in the process. She actually decked, although pretty lightly. He was laughing his ass off and she was in tears out of fear.

"That was so uncool, dude," I said.

"No one asked you, asshole," he replied.

"Miss, I would never go climbing with that guy again if I were you," I told her. She says nothing, unties, and leaves.

Next thing, he's all pissed off at me, saying I had no business criticizing him, and he wants to fight. Enough people were giving him stink-eye, however, that he eventually dropped it and left.

Yeah. No one likes to be corrected, no matter how much they deserve it. And that guy frickin' deserved it.

p8ntballsk8r

Oct 14, 2009, 6:59 PM
Post #41 of 44 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Multipitching a sport route for practice? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought the ADT is only created when using webbing or a sling to connect the two bolts together and make a masterpoint for the rope to run through.

It is a very common practice to clip the rope through both biners at the top and get lowered down on a sport route. I've always been taught to lower someone very slowly and controllably to avoid jerking and causing exess loads because we never actually know how much the bolts can hold.

Clipping the rope through two biners at the top is obviously safer than just one, even if they were say 2 feet apart (i've never seen them farther than 6inches to a foot) would this impose an ADT and be a safety issue?

shimanilami

Oct 14, 2009, 7:03 PM
Post #42 of 44 (2920 views)
Shortcut

Re: [p8ntballsk8r] Multipitching a sport route for practice? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm ignoring you.

Hear me?

IGNORING YOU!

Like how I ignore you?

Leave me alone.

subantz

Oct 14, 2009, 7:11 PM
Post #43 of 44 (2916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hilarious, I have been laughing at this for a good 2 minutes. Histerical

hafilax

Oct 14, 2009, 7:55 PM
Post #44 of 44 (2903 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
I'm ignoring you.

Hear me?

IGNORING YOU!

Like how I ignore you?

Leave me alone.
I thought you were going to log off for some alone time.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook