RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

acorneau

Oct 16, 2009, 4:57 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1602 views)
Shortcut

Random gear thoughts/obvservations
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Stopped in to REI yesterday to pick up some more accessory cord. Spent some time perusing the other climbing gear and came up with a few random thoughts/observations/questions. (I'll leave the "REI's selection sucks" to the other threads!)

They had the large Supercam in the display case. Didn't handle it, but thought to myself, "Damn that's big". (That's what she said!) Anyone rocking the Supercams and have opinions? Also noticed that they have welded connections to the axle like my older Powercams. Any idea why they chose welded over the newer Powercam/TCU design?

The OP Link cams seem to have a generous, if not excessive, overlap in range. I would have thought that they would have made the smaller ones smaller (if possible?) and the bigger ones bigger, or just made 3 sizes to cover the same range.

I believe Metolius' new FS Mini biner has officially reached the point of "too small". I can't open the gate with my thumb without having to turn it sideways to clear the nose, and my hands aren't that big. Anyone actually using these things on a regular basis yet? I'm not concerned about their strength, as all of Metolius's stuff is so well made, but the functionality of such a small biner.

Ok, random thoughts/observations/questions done. Discuss, flame, spew, or whatever.

(This post was edited by acorneau on Oct 16, 2009, 5:38 PM)

shoo

Oct 16, 2009, 5:23 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Random gear thoughts/ovservations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
The OP Link cams seem to have a generous, if not excessive, overlap in range. I would have thought that they would have made the smaller ones smaller (if possible?) and the bigger ones bigger, or just made 3 sizes to cover the same range.

Making a bigger link cam that is practical would probably be very difficult. I would be particularly concerned with the trigger pull distance. OP would really have to get creative with that. However, it would almost certainly make an already very complicated design much more complicated.

acorneau wrote:
I believe Metolius' new FS Mini biner has officially reached the point of "too small". I can't open the gate with my thumb without having to turn it sideways to clear the nose, and my hands aren't that big. Anyone actually using these things on a regular basis yet? I'm not concerned about their strength, as all of Metolius's stuff is so well made, but the functionality of such a small biner.

I'm inclined to agree, but can see where having a couple on your rack might be pretty useful. There are plenty of applications where you really just don't need a full sized 'biner. Spare 'biners for anchors and other misc. uses, keeping your chalkbag secure with a potentially useful emergency 'biner, racking cams (if they clip decently, thoughts?), keeping misc. small items (rap ring, knife, etc.), etc.

I'm not about to run tot he store to grab a set, but I would give it some thought if I were looking to modify my system.

johnwesely

Oct 16, 2009, 5:49 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1544 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Random gear thoughts/ovservations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
I'm inclined to agree, but can see where having a couple on your rack might be pretty useful. There are plenty of applications where you really just don't need a full sized 'biner. Spare 'biners for anchors and other misc. uses, keeping your chalkbag secure with a potentially useful emergency 'biner, racking cams (if they clip decently, thoughts?), keeping misc. small items (rap ring, knife, etc.), etc.

You forgot carrying your car keys, and attaching your water bottle to your book bag. These carabiners have literally changed my entire life. I shouldn't have to settle for 150 lb breaking strength in a small accessory carabiner, and now I don't have to. Now whenever I see people with those cheap walmart carabiners on their water bottles, I think only one thing... Total Poser.

caughtinside

Oct 16, 2009, 6:02 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1525 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Random gear thoughts/obvservations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Link cams do have a lot of overlap, just kind of the sweet spot of the range. At this point, I think the red might be the most useful size.

One downside they have is that the lobes retract a fair bit beyond what the trigger will pull. I think this is why they have a reputation of getting stuck. You can pull the trigger the whole way, put it in the crack, stuff it in farther and now the trigger is of no help removing the cam. Still, a very handy device.

I just got 10 of those metolius mini biners. I bid on them while I was loaded at rocktoberfest, not expecting to win, and well, I won. They are small, very small, but I also have a dozen of the camp nano biners, and I remember feeling the same way about them, but adjusted to their small size pretty quickly. So we'll see how it goes after some use.

TJGoSurf

Oct 16, 2009, 6:07 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Link cams are scary, but useful. I found some 40% off and they seem solid in a horizontal crack, haven't tried in a vertical. I will let you know monday, if I'm not here monday they don't work well.

acorneau

Oct 16, 2009, 6:35 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Random gear thoughts/obvservations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
I just got 10 of those metolius mini biners... and I remember feeling the same way about them, but adjusted to their small size pretty quickly. So we'll see how it goes after some use.

Good to know. I've got some Neutrino's and a few Superfly's both of which I like very much.

Actually, SAC has the CAMP Nano's today for $4.47 each and you can buy up to 10 at a time. Sweet.

(This post was edited by acorneau on Oct 16, 2009, 6:39 PM)

healyje

Oct 16, 2009, 9:52 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have all three Super Cams and they're burly beyond words. Love'm. Given the percentage of total weight the braze accounts for on these, compared to say the Ultra Lites TCUs, I doubt it's worth the hassle.

billcoe_

Oct 16, 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
They had the large Supercam in the display case. Didn't handle it, but thought to myself, "Damn that's big". (That's what she said!) Anyone rocking the Supercams and have opinions? Also noticed that they have welded connections to the axle like my older Powercams. Any idea why they chose welded over the newer Powercam/TCU design?

Ok, random thoughts/observations/questions done. Discuss, flame, spew, or whatever.

Love the Supercams!!!!

The #1 and #2 Link cam are only different in color, thats how much overlap they have. (I'm joking) I do have both, if you NEED to buy one, just buy the #2. My trust in them is going down as one breaks here or there though. Love the rad range still though.

The baby Metolius biners are sick. I have a single one and it's fine for my lil fingers. I started climbing when Eiger ovals ruled the day and they had a brand new strength of 1800 lbs. Gate open they were so weak they never bothered with the gate open rating LOL! Biners today are so good. Love the WC Heliums and the cheaper WC version of the Helium. However, even they would be left in the dust by these lil guys. Could you imagine how little an El Cap rack would weigh? Sick! I only have one to try it and rave about online, mostly cause I already bought too much of those I love. (Nanos and Heliums) - but I'll probably get some of these for routes like Epinephrine so I can eat a few more muffins and carry that weight on my belly instead of as gear! LOL

john_itis

Oct 18, 2009, 3:30 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1319 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Random gear thoughts/obvservations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
One downside they have is that the lobes retract a fair bit beyond what the trigger will pull. I think this is why they have a reputation of getting stuck. You can pull the trigger the whole way, put it in the crack, stuff it in farther and now the trigger is of no help removing the cam. Still, a very handy device.

I have a red link that stays on my rack pretty much always... and I've never gotten it stuck. I also haven't had any issues with the trigger retraction.

One down side that I've found is the link is ridiculously wide. + for horizontals - for verticals

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook