RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

acorneau

Oct 22, 2009, 6:39 PM
Post #1 of 21 (3500 views)
Shortcut

Climbers abandon disabled man halfway up a mountain
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Classy...

In reply to:
A group of climbers has been criticised after they abandoned a wheelchair-bound friend halfway up Mount Snowdon.

Six martial arts experts were on a sponsored charity climb up the peak in North Wales, carrying the man in his wheelchair.

But before they reached the summit they found it too difficult to keep carrying him and decided to carry on up the mountain without the 31-year-old man, leaving him sitting alone on the path.

By the time they came back down for him they were too tired to resume the wheelchair lift and had to call out rescuers. He was helped to safety by a mountain rescue team and was found to be suffering from mild exposure.

The man had been left at the foot of Allt Moses (Moses Hill) where the terrain becomes steep and rocky.

Climber Dave Morrell, 44, who saw the rescue, said: “The poor bloke was sitting there in his wheelchair for quite a while. It was a bit mean of them to leave him there while they carried on to the top. But other climbers went over to talk to him. He was just getting very cold.”

Fifteen members of Llanberis mountain rescue team carried the man to the mountain railway. A train then brought him down the peak.

Martial arts enthusiasts from across the country had been taking part in a world record bid at the weekend to see how many black belts and others could climb a mountain in a day. They were also raising money for a girl with cerebral palsy.

There are a number of charity wheelchair pushes every year up the mountain. But rescuers said they normally involved bigger parties because of the effort required.

Ian Henderson of Llanberis mountain rescue team said it was a “cheeky” callout which could have been avoided.

“This party were poorly prepared and felt it was OK to carry on to the summit rather than turn around and get him down the mountain,” he said.

“At what point did they think ’it’s OK we’ll get the rescue team to push him down?’”

Guides describe Llanberis Path as the most popular tourist route up Snowdon but at five miles also the longest.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/...k/article6880145.ece

IsayAutumn

Oct 22, 2009, 7:07 PM
Post #2 of 21 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Climbers abandon disabled man halfway up a mountain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sweep the leg, Johnny!!!

What a bunch of dicks! I bet they were these guys:

Time to find a new dojo.

[Edited to add photo.]

(This post was edited by IsayAutumn on Oct 22, 2009, 7:09 PM)

shimanilami

Oct 22, 2009, 7:13 PM
Post #3 of 21 (3431 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Climbers abandon disabled man halfway up a mountain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

"Climbers" did not abandon him. A bunch of martial artists posing as climbers did.

CrazyPetie

Oct 22, 2009, 7:18 PM
Post #4 of 21 (3422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like they were martial art "hikers", not climbers. I dont get it, their whole charity thing was to carry this guy, and then they decided to just leave him there? wtf

acorneau

Oct 22, 2009, 7:26 PM
Post #5 of 21 (3395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Somebody needs to make a video of this.

Seriously.

Six guys in karate outfits carrying a guy in a wheelchair, hiking up the mountain...

Where is Monty Python when you need them!!!!

LostinMaine

Oct 22, 2009, 7:32 PM
Post #6 of 21 (3381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
Classy...

In reply to:
A group of climbers has been criticised after they abandoned a wheelchair-bound friend halfway up Mount Snowdon.

Six martial arts experts were on a sponsored charity climb up the peak in North Wales, carrying the man in his wheelchair.

But before they reached the summit they found it too difficult to keep carrying him and decided to carry on up the mountain without the 31-year-old man, leaving him sitting alone on the path.

By the time they came back down for him they were too tired to resume the wheelchair lift and had to call out rescuers. He was helped to safety by a mountain rescue team and was found to be suffering from mild exposure.

The man had been left at the foot of Allt Moses (Moses Hill) where the terrain becomes steep and rocky.

Climber Dave Morrell, 44, who saw the rescue, said: “The poor bloke was sitting there in his wheelchair for quite a while. It was a bit mean of them to leave him there while they carried on to the top. But other climbers went over to talk to him. He was just getting very cold.”

Fifteen members of Llanberis mountain rescue team carried the man to the mountain railway. A train then brought him down the peak.

Martial arts enthusiasts from across the country had been taking part in a world record bid at the weekend to see how many black belts and others could climb a mountain in a day. They were also raising money for a girl with cerebral palsy.

There are a number of charity wheelchair pushes every year up the mountain. But rescuers said they normally involved bigger parties because of the effort required.

Ian Henderson of Llanberis mountain rescue team said it was a “cheeky” callout which could have been avoided.

“This party were poorly prepared and felt it was OK to carry on to the summit rather than turn around and get him down the mountain,” he said.

“At what point did they think ’it’s OK we’ll get the rescue team to push him down?’”

Guides describe Llanberis Path as the most popular tourist route up Snowdon but at five miles also the longest.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/...k/article6880145.ece

I might be a dick for this, but I'll admit it; I laughed. As I was reading I thought it was going to link to an article in the Onion or something...

dynosore

Oct 22, 2009, 8:05 PM
Post #7 of 21 (3332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bizarre. How desperate is Guinness? Most black belts to climb (not) a mountain in a day? Googled mount snowdon, it's a whopping 3560 ft.

cantbuymefriends

Oct 22, 2009, 8:45 PM
Post #8 of 21 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Climbers abandon disabled man halfway up a mountain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
Bizarre. How desperate is Guinness? Most black belts to climb (not) a mountain in a day? Googled mount snowdon, it's a whopping 3560 ft.
It's a peak, alright. Bit it's a hike, not a climb to get there.
There's even a friggin railway all the way to the top, ferchrissake!

xaniel2000

Oct 22, 2009, 9:03 PM
Post #9 of 21 (3230 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Climbers abandon disabled man halfway up a mountain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
"Climbers" did not abandon him. A bunch of martial artists posing as climbers did.

+1

evanwish

Oct 22, 2009, 9:11 PM
Post #10 of 21 (3214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xaniel2000] Climbers abandon disabled man halfway up a mountain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Shame...

cantbuymefriends

Oct 22, 2009, 9:17 PM
Post #11 of 21 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Re: [evanwish] Climbers abandon disabled man halfway up a mountain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

evanwish wrote:
Shame...
Yeah... They'll probably get in the book anyhow
"Biggest number of martial art twats to make it to the top"...

bill413

Oct 22, 2009, 9:37 PM
Post #12 of 21 (3171 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xaniel2000] Climbers abandon disabled man halfway up a mountain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

xaniel2000 wrote:
shimanilami wrote:

+1

I thought martial arts were supposed to involve mental discipline. How did those posers get high ranking belts.

osu_cowboy

Oct 22, 2009, 10:49 PM
Post #13 of 21 (3103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Epic Fail...

brownie710

Oct 23, 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #14 of 21 (2940 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IsayAutumn] Climbers abandon disabled man halfway up a mountain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

IsayAutumn wrote:
Sweep the leg, Johnny!!!

What a bunch of dicks! I bet they were these guys:

[image]http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/7746/boys28tn.jpg[/image]

Time to find a new dojo.

[Edited to add photo.]

That is the funniest thing I have seen on here in a while! Classic

sungam

Oct 23, 2009, 2:46 PM
Post #15 of 21 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started laughing as soon as I saw the title - knowing it would be about the Snowdon thing.
People take Snowdon pretty lightly (after all there's a fracking train station with a hotel and cafe on the summit) but the weather can change pretty quick (it's right by the sea).
Anyways, the guys were idiots who just left MR to clean up their mess.

tradrenn

Oct 26, 2009, 1:42 AM
Post #16 of 21 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
Where is Monty Python when you need them!!!!

Right here

Partner macherry

Oct 26, 2009, 2:29 AM
Post #17 of 21 (2585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Climbers abandon disabled man halfway up a mountain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

another "oh for fuck sakes" story!!

king_rat

Oct 26, 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #18 of 21 (2491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Climbers abandon disabled man halfway up a mountain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It does not surprise me, Snowdon is one of those peaks which is very easily accessible, there is a railway running to the top, and main footpath up is like a road. it’s the tallest mountain in Wales so it’s a natural tourist attraction.

All these factors lead to lots of people going up who have little or no out doors experience and inevitably you get people getting into trouble.

newriverjunkie87

Oct 26, 2009, 1:05 PM
Post #19 of 21 (2476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...bunch of dingleberries bringin the climbing name down...it's a shame...Mad

CarderockJeff

Oct 26, 2009, 2:44 PM
Post #20 of 21 (2405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like attracts like. The guy chose his partners in his "climb". I bet he'll be more careful next time he goes out on a "shared adventure".

hansundfritz

Oct 26, 2009, 2:52 PM
Post #21 of 21 (2396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder if this was inspired by "Darius Goes West"?

Not surprised to hear about this -- lots of zany nonsense happens in Britain every year in the name of charity -- or otherwise.

Guys I know spent a day getting a rubber dinghy and paddles to the top of the Cioch in Skye -- just to inflate it and then take lots of pictures of themselves in the boat. Another guy I know stashed a whole watermelon in his pack -- only to whip it out at lunch-time on the summit.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook