RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

p8ntballsk8r

Oct 28, 2009, 6:20 AM
Post #1 of 9 (7301 views)
Shortcut

Accessory Cord - Strength?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How strong is it? I'm talking about the stuff used to make prussik loops and what not. I know that it's basically a thin rope, and should be treated like a rope that wears pretty fast. Obviously always inspect the cord before using.

It's strong enough to hang from, but how strong is it actually? Using as a substitute for a rope would be dumb, but could be done. Probably only in a TR situation but would be extremely dangerous. I'm not looking to do this, but just pondering some things.

Is it strong and reliable enough to join two biners together to make a quickdraw? I think a sling would be a better bet, but in the instance where only cord is available and not a sling, how much force can this little cord hold?

A more realistic use instead of making a quickdraw, would be to lengthen a quickdraw to either reduce significant rope drag or to prevent the draw or rope from hanging in a detrimental spot either on the rock or where the rope will be subject to damage.

I've also heard one way to pass a knot while belaying is to prussik on the climber's side of the ATC, load it, then unclip the belay device and reattach it to the other side of the rope. Is this a safe practice?

yokese

Oct 28, 2009, 6:29 AM
Post #2 of 9 (7292 views)
Shortcut

Re: [p8ntballsk8r] Accessory Cord - Strength? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.bealplanet.com/...delettes&lang=us

qwert

Oct 28, 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #3 of 9 (7257 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yokese] Accessory Cord - Strength? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

How stupid can you be?
Every new thread of you tops your last one!
congrats for that.

Back on topic: I have heard rumors that the manufacturers of climbing gear always test their stuff to find out how strong it is, and that they actually produce their stuff in such a way that all batches match this strengths.
The rumors even say that they publish these strengths on their web sites and catalogues, and even make retailers quote those strengths, when they want to sell their stuff.
And there supposedly even some strange things called books, where one also can supposedly obtain some genereall strength values for cords, and even some safe practices and techniques to use them. Crazy

I know that all sounds very wild, but thats the rumors i have heard.

qwert

binrat

Oct 28, 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #4 of 9 (7238 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Accessory Cord - Strength? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
How stupid can you be?
congrats for that.

Back on topic: I have heard rumors that the manufacturers of climbing gear always test their stuff to find out how strong it is, and that they actually produce their stuff in such a way that all batches match this strengths.
The rumors even say that they publish these strengths on their web sites and catalogues, and even make retailers quote those strengths, when they want to sell their stuff.
And there supposedly even some strange things called books, where one also can supposedly obtain some genereall strength values for cords, and even some safe practices and techniques to use them. Crazy

qwert

Thanks, you just made my morning.

binrat

airscape

Oct 28, 2009, 11:35 AM
Post #5 of 9 (7237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Accessory chord is to accessorize all your other equipment, you know to liven it up a bit. Are you a fashionable climber?

Add a nice pink twirl of accessory chord to your cams to make them match your chalk bag.

A prussik is not a back up for anything as some would have you believe. it's just a nice way to contrast the colors of your rope and enhance the color of you eyes.

billl7

Oct 28, 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #6 of 9 (7233 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

p8ntballsk8r wrote:
I've also heard one way to pass a knot while belaying is to prussik on the climber's side of the ATC, load it, then unclip the belay device and reattach it to the other side of the rope. Is this a safe practice?
No - it is not if those are all of the steps.

LostinMaine

Oct 28, 2009, 4:21 PM
Post #7 of 9 (7170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
How stupid can you be?
congrats for that.

qwert

lies.

tomtom

Oct 28, 2009, 4:31 PM
Post #8 of 9 (7160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

p8ntballsk8r wrote:
How strong is it? I'm talking about the stuff used to make prussik loops and what not. I know that it's basically a thin rope, and should be treated like a rope that wears pretty fast. Obviously always inspect the cord before using.

The rated strength of accessory cord depends on it's manufacture. Here are two examples of 6mm cord:

One is rated to a minimum breaking strength 2,260 lbf. (10.05kN)

http://www.karstsports.com/6mmaccor.html

and the other is not rated.

http://www.karstsports.com/sporaccor6mm.html

The rated cord will have a sticker on the spool with the specs.

Shintao

Oct 29, 2009, 5:56 AM
Post #9 of 9 (7094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you should team up with Majid and climb...
Match made in heaven

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook