Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Myxomatosis

Oct 30, 2009, 3:17 AM
Post #1 of 35 (5558 views)
Shortcut

Not Enough Rope Rescue
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im not really a beginner nor have I ever had this problem but I was told a story of it happening and I was wondering what options you had. I have a few ideas but I dont think they would be considered very safe (but perhaps thats your only option)

Heres the situation..

You turn up at a crag, no guide book, with a 50m rope.

You accidently do choose a 60m sport route (so no trad gear).

You are belaying your partner and you suddenly find yourself at end of the rope. You have tied a knot in the end (not to hard to see your nearly at the end, so quick thinking just in case), so its not going to pass through the belay device. You have only 2m's of slack since your climber took the whipper onto the bolt and climbed back up to the bolt (hanger)

How would you get your partner to the ground?

Here are the options of what gear you have....

1. Prusik cord, few locking biners and your ATC (and anything else someone climbing sport might have close by on the ground) but say your partner has no PAS device or sling, just two quick draws.

2. Another 50m rope, some locking biners, partner still no PAS, just some draws.

3. Whats the minimum amount of gear you could use to get him down?

clausti

Oct 30, 2009, 3:24 AM
Post #2 of 35 (5548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Myxomatosis] Not Enough Rope Rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

your partner sacks up and downclimbs.

caughtinside

Oct 30, 2009, 3:31 AM
Post #3 of 35 (5544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you can't get off a sport route you've got problems.

dan2see

Oct 30, 2009, 3:38 AM
Post #4 of 35 (5535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's easy for your partner to get out this.

First, you simul-climb up the the first bolt (or more likely the second one), and clove your harness to it.
Now you're on a hanging belay, so you can lower your leader from the top anchor.
When he's back on the ground, he unties, and goes home in a snit because your forget your guidebook.

How do you get back down? I donno -- that's up to you!

uni_jim

Oct 30, 2009, 3:41 AM
Post #5 of 35 (5529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SIMUL-CLIMB!!! your on bolts, just go fer it!
BTW: yer gonna die!

curt

Oct 30, 2009, 4:01 AM
Post #6 of 35 (5514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Myxomatosis wrote:
Im not really a beginner nor have I ever had this problem but I was told a story of it happening and I was wondering what options you had. I have a few ideas but I dont think they would be considered very safe (but perhaps thats your only option)

Heres the situation..

You are belaying your partner and you suddenly find yourself at end of the rope. You have tied a knot in the end (not to hard to see your nearly at the end, so quick thinking just in case), so its not going to pass through the belay device. You have only 2m's of slack since your climber took the whipper onto the bolt and climbed back up to the bolt (hanger)

1. Prusik cord, few locking biners and your ATC (and anything else someone climbing sport might have close by on the ground) but say your partner has no PAS device or sling, just two quick draws.

2. Another 50m rope, some locking biners, partner still no PAS, just some draws.

Untie the knot in your end of the rope and let go of it. Your partner is now down--and you've used no extra gear. If it's an additional requirement that your partner lives, you may want to have a plan B.

Curt

Myxomatosis

Oct 30, 2009, 4:04 AM
Post #7 of 35 (5508 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Not Enough Rope Rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess you could Simu-climb and walk off.

Or have your partner down climb half way and leave a bail biner....

grover

Oct 30, 2009, 4:15 AM
Post #8 of 35 (5498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Have the leader fall repeatedly until the rope stretches 10 meters.

airscape

Oct 30, 2009, 9:21 AM
Post #9 of 35 (5411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Myxomatosis wrote:

Why would you have another rope with you?

If I was the climber in that situation I would unclip my last draw, fall to the next draw, unclip etc etc.
Until it's not safe to do so anymore. But by then you would already be low enough to be lowered. by your belayer.

cantbuymefriends

Oct 30, 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #10 of 35 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since you started the climb with only one 50 m rope on what you thought was a 50 m climb, I assume that the original plan was to walk off from the top.
Then:

Option 1, simul-climb till first climber reach anchor, then have him belay second to top. Walk off.

Option 2, if you can't simul-climb. Climber 1 builds an anchor in the 2 topmost bolts, belays up the second, and then continues to the top.

johnwesely

Oct 30, 2009, 11:54 AM
Post #11 of 35 (5369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cantbuymefriends] Not Enough Rope Rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cantbuymefriends wrote:
Since you started the climb with only one 50 m rope on what you thought was a 50 m climb, I assume that the original plan was to walk off from the top.

I am pretty sure he means it is a 30m route, requiring a 60m rope to be lowered.

airscape

Oct 30, 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #12 of 35 (5361 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cantbuymefriends] Not Enough Rope Rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think most sport climbers even know what simul climbing is. Tongue

colatownkid

Oct 30, 2009, 12:08 PM
Post #13 of 35 (5355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Myxomatosis wrote:

Heres the situation..

wait, how tall is this route? 30m or 60m? i assume you are talking about belaying your partner on lead, correct? do you run out of rope when your partner is leading, or after they have clipped the anchor and are being lowered?

cantbuymefriends

Oct 30, 2009, 1:07 PM
Post #14 of 35 (5327 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Not Enough Rope Rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
cantbuymefriends wrote:

I am pretty sure he means it is a 30m route, requiring a 60m rope to be lowered.
In that case, he would have alot more than 2m rope left, when the climber is at the last bolt, right? Wink

Otherwise, including distance from last bolt to anchor, length of QD, rope stretch and whatnot, he would be able to lower the climber until at least a safe "jump distance" from the ground.

(This post was edited by cantbuymefriends on Oct 30, 2009, 1:10 PM)

jaablink

Oct 30, 2009, 1:18 PM
Post #15 of 35 (5317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don’t like this game. Sport climbing is too technical for me. Cant we just go with Curts answer… and skip plan B

curt wrote:

Untie the knot in your end of the rope and let go of it. Your partner is now down--and you've used no extra gear. If it's an additional requirement that your partner lives, you may want to have a plan B.

Curt

Partner angry

Oct 30, 2009, 1:25 PM
Post #16 of 35 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In an emergency, fix the rope and rap to the ground on a single bolt. Then hike around to the top with your second rope (why you brought a second rope, who knows) and rescue the first rope.

Simuling would be the fastest and safest way to fix the situation though.

lena_chita

Oct 30, 2009, 1:45 PM
Post #17 of 35 (5291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Myxomatosis wrote:

Heres the situation..

Something doesn't seem right in this scenario. This is a single -pitch sport route, e.i if it requires 60 m rope to climb it, the route is no longer than 30m, so you can't possibly have only 2 m left while your partner is still climbing.

Down-climbing seems to be the easiest option.

Or down-climb a couple of bolts and "bail" on a a bolt that is <25m to the ground, using a bail 'biner or a length of webbing.

Or, climb all the way to the anchors, go on direct, and ask someone to tie a second rope to your rope to pull it up and rappel on two ropes. it is a sport crag, there's bound to be someone else there.

kachoong

Oct 30, 2009, 1:47 PM
Post #18 of 35 (5289 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hop in a time machine... go back to the 90's ...where you belong! No-one climbs on 50m ropes anymore! Tongue Angelic

Myxomatosis

Oct 30, 2009, 1:55 PM
Post #19 of 35 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Not Enough Rope Rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well two ropes are easy to have at the crag. I sometimes bring one along with my partner.

Well the idea was that you didnt have any beta of the route... so you didnt know if it was 30 or 50 or 60m's... I dont know how else you would end up in this situation.

The story I was told was that a german couple were climbing and the rope passed through the ATC (girl belaying) and she was holding onto the end for dear life while pulling her partner down. Apparently both made it away safely as there were other people at the crag to help them.

Not that I have ever been dumb enough to get into this situation,

It just got me thinking how you could get out of this cluster fuck. Smile

Seems to simul climb up so your partner could finish the rope, then build an anchour with the draws and belay you up from there and walk off would be the easiest and safe way to get out.

the1esteban

Oct 30, 2009, 1:55 PM
Post #20 of 35 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grover] Not Enough Rope Rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

grover wrote:
Have the leader fall repeatedly until the rope stretches 10 meters.

This one made me laugh because I'm sure there's someone out there that will try this.

blueeyedclimber

Oct 30, 2009, 2:20 PM
Post #21 of 35 (5261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Myxomatosis wrote:

At a sport crag? A 60 m climb? NO such thing. Did you mean a 30 m climb, requiring a 60 m rope? In any case, lower to the lowest bolt you can. Climber clips in direct. Belayer goes off belay. Climber pulls rope, clips into leaver biner, belayer goes back on belay and then lowers. There are a couple other options as well, but I will let you figure them out.

If you do indeed find a sport crag with 60 m climbs, let us know, so we can all bring our 120 m ropes. Cool

Josh

Myxomatosis

Oct 30, 2009, 2:32 PM
Post #22 of 35 (5253 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Not Enough Rope Rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Myxomatosis wrote:

At a sport crag? A 60 m climb? NO such thing. Did you mean a 30 m climb, requiring a 60 m rope? In any case, lower to the lowest bolt you can. Climber clips in direct. Belayer goes off belay. Climber pulls rope, clips into leaver biner, belayer goes back on belay and then lowers. There are a couple other options as well, but I will let you figure them out.

If you do indeed find a sport crag with 60 m climbs, let us know, so we can all bring our 120 m ropes. Cool

Josh

Hey mate.. read the post above... Its not like I actually pre thought of this silly state of affairs, just wondering what you would/could do.

dudemanbu

Oct 30, 2009, 2:41 PM
Post #23 of 35 (5246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Myxomatosis wrote:

Josh

Jumbo love is almost 80 meters Crazy

But if you can climb that to nearly the top, i'd say your safest way off is to just ask the camera guy to rap down a little further to you and tie you in.

blueeyedclimber

Oct 30, 2009, 2:43 PM
Post #24 of 35 (5241 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Myxomatosis wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
Myxomatosis wrote:

Josh

Hey mate.. read the post above... Its not like I actually pre thought of this silly state of affairs, just wondering what you would/could do.

Hey, if you're not going to clearly think out your posts, then why should I read any of the ridiculoso following it?

Tongue

kachoong

Oct 30, 2009, 3:04 PM
Post #25 of 35 (5223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Myxomatosis wrote:

Josh

Couldn't resist... that made me think of Yoda... [yoda] Clip in direct you can... belayer off belay he must... his rope the climber pulls... into leaver biner he must clip...[/yoda] Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook