RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

olive

Nov 6, 2009, 8:19 PM
Post #1 of 22 (4210 views)
Shortcut

down sleeping bag opinions/suggestions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,
I need to buy a 0 degree down sleeping bag. I am a notoriously cold sleeper and freeze in my 30 degree sleeping bag once it hits the 40s outside. I need this for camping in the colder late fall/winter climbing days.
However, I get deterred by the variety of choice and the range of prices out there. I dont have a lot of money but I also dont want to buy a piece of crap. So, are there any brands that I should avoid, that you were not very happy with? Who makes decent sleeping bags in the mid/lower price range? What about EMS - right now they have a sale going on, did anyone use their bags?
And I know western mountaineering makes the best bags but I cant afford it - I wish I could but I cant, so do not suggest I check that out.

Thanks for the replies!

Edvin

Nov 6, 2009, 8:48 PM
Post #2 of 22 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olive] down sleeping bag opinions/suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check http://www.roberts.pl they make kind of cheap down bags, they got loads of different options and you can bsically order it as you want it. No price on their website but they'll send you one in euro if you ask for it.

Don't have one your self and they have received lots of good critic on some swedish forums I visit.

tomtom

Nov 6, 2009, 9:14 PM
Post #3 of 22 (4160 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Edvin] down sleeping bag opinions/suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Try REI. If you don't like it you can always return it.

charley

Nov 6, 2009, 9:16 PM
Post #4 of 22 (4153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomtom] down sleeping bag opinions/suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

check these.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/...rchdescriptions=True

Scooter12ga

Nov 6, 2009, 10:35 PM
Post #5 of 22 (4123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] down sleeping bag opinions/suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Mont Bell super stretch down UL bags. Super light bags, very warm, and cheaper than WM or FF. The only downside, is that the super light fabric doesn't deter moisture very well so if you're going to be soaked, then probably not the best choice for you.

http://www.montbell.us

Edit: Make clicky

(This post was edited by Scooter12ga on Nov 6, 2009, 10:39 PM)

ryanb

Nov 6, 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #6 of 22 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would recommend a marmot with 600 fill down if you want an affordable quality option. The only real sacrifice will be weight.

Be aware that temp ratings aren't comparable between manufacutres. If you can look up the fill weight and type of down and the loft of your current bag and the ones you are looking at and find some reviews.

I actually have a 20 deg WM ultralight (16 oz of 800 fill) and a marmot never summer 0 (30z of 600 fill).

The marmot is a heavier but can make me overheat even on nights that get down below freezing...it is my go to bag for off season stuff or car camping in the desert etc...I'd definitely consider the marmot 5 deg snowy range listed on sierra trading post.

Down bags last much longer then synthetics (which loose their loft over time) so get something you are going to want to use for a while.

rschap

Nov 7, 2009, 4:02 AM
Post #7 of 22 (4059 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanb] down sleeping bag opinions/suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I sleep cold also. I had the REI Kilo 0deg and was always cold in it. I switched to the Never Summer and I find it a much better bag, it has more loft and the neck baffle really keeps the cold out. My wife uses the Mountain Hardware 15deg (I couldn’t tell you the name) that’s like 8 years old and still sleeps just fine, the nice thing about that one is it has an expansion zipper down the side to make it more roomy when it’s wormer out.

doons

Nov 7, 2009, 5:41 AM
Post #8 of 22 (4033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the best down equipment ever made = Western Mountaineering. you will pay for it, but it will last for the rest of your life.

www.westernmountaineering.com

Partner mr8615

Nov 7, 2009, 5:59 AM
Post #9 of 22 (4026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [doons] down sleeping bag opinions/suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I know you said you can't afford Western Mountaineering, but they are far beyond the best anyone else has to offer. I'm also poor but would never, ever buy anything else. Not like I'm going to have to, my 15 degree WM down bag has been going strong for more than 5 years now. That includes at least a year while I was living in it/sleeping in it every night. You won't be sorry if you decide to spring for the best.

mach2

Nov 7, 2009, 7:07 AM
Post #10 of 22 (4014 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second the Marmot, probably the only decent bag I've used save for my older sierra designs. As far as warmth is concerned, can we assume you have a pad with a higher R value? I have seen plenty of people angry at their bag, when a poor pad was at fault.

brokesomeribs

Nov 7, 2009, 11:56 PM
Post #11 of 22 (3975 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Western Mountaineering's direct competitor is Feathered Friends. Handmade in Seattle out of the best European down available. Unlike WM however, FF often runs sales on their websites. Check it out.

budman

Nov 8, 2009, 12:23 AM
Post #12 of 22 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bought a North Face 0 degree bag over 25 years ago. It was a second, stitching was not perfect, but it was only cosmetic. Has always kept me warm even near 0. Buy one with the better down and you'll always stay warm. Wish I knew what they offer today but I haven't needed a new one in a long time.

Partner macherry

Nov 8, 2009, 12:27 AM
Post #13 of 22 (3962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [budman] down sleeping bag opinions/suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mountain hardwear phantom

800 fill down and folds up into nothing or the marmot helium

spent a little more money and you only buy once

billcoe_

Nov 8, 2009, 4:33 AM
Post #14 of 22 (3904 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brokesomeribs] down sleeping bag opinions/suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brokesomeribs wrote:
Western Mountaineering's direct competitor is Feathered Friends. Handmade in Seattle out of the best European down available. Unlike WM however, FF often runs sales on their websites. Check it out.

Din ding ding ding: WINNER RIGHT HERE FOLKS. Don't cheap out. This is truly one of those things you'll have for a long long time and if you chap out you'll be kicking yourself. These may be the best 2 bag makers in the US and it's not cheap Chinese down Marmot and REI use, it's real real good quality.

doons

Nov 8, 2009, 6:18 AM
Post #15 of 22 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] down sleeping bag opinions/suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

as they say in the outdoor industry, "buy nice or buy twice"

Myxomatosis

Nov 8, 2009, 3:12 PM
Post #16 of 22 (3853 views)
Shortcut

Re: [doons] down sleeping bag opinions/suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah a sleeping bag is always nice to splash out on... as my mate once said "once you fine tune your sleeping arrangements, its like you never left your bed"

I got a Macpac Escapade with 700 fill and a thermarest, never been cold with that combo. Only been in temps down to 5deg a few times tho and I wouldn't say its a mountaineering bag but it packs down pretty small.

(This post was edited by Myxomatosis on Nov 8, 2009, 3:13 PM)

qwert

Nov 8, 2009, 5:50 PM
Post #17 of 22 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Myxomatosis] down sleeping bag opinions/suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldnt say that you neccessarily need to get the best of the best, in order to get a good sleep, but i wouldnt go for the cheapest either.

so i am going to throw Mountain Equipment into the mix.

I got one and i am quite happy with it (apart from the fact that it is too cold, because i bought it too big Mad). I would say they are quite good value.

qwert

kobaz

Nov 8, 2009, 6:52 PM
Post #18 of 22 (3823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a big fan of the rei sleeping bags. I have a -5 degree 800 fill bag that I got for ~$220. I've slept in it when it was well below 0, with a thermarest and extra clothes stacked under the pad. A few times I had to unzip to let some heat out.
Sadly I don't see any rei -5's on rei's site

I also have a western mountaineering 35 degree bag. It works well for temperatures around 35 degrees, less than that I had to start using a closed cell pad underneath my thermarest.

And I totally am in agreement with getting a down sleeping bag. I have a 0 degree synthetic bag that insulates crap. I start getting cold when it hit's 30.

Just make sure you keep it dry etc... which I managed to do surprisingly well when hiking the AT (aka, the wettest trail in the country)

(This post was edited by kobaz on Nov 8, 2009, 6:54 PM)

newriverE

Nov 8, 2009, 7:06 PM
Post #19 of 22 (3818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sounds like you'll be car camping and not backpacking which means that if you're looking for good value you can go for a bag that's 600 fill down instead of 800. It will be a little heavier and not quite as efficient at heating as 800, but you will save some money. Features that you don't want to skimp on are a draft tube collar, to keep the heat in your bag, and a women's specific model. Women lose more heat from their feet and butts than men and so sleeping bag manufacturers put extra insulation there. It definitely makes a difference. Also, make sure you get the appropriate size. An extra 6" of dead space below your feet will keep you from staying warm for sure. Models to check out that are good prices would be:

http://sierradesigns.com/bags.display.php?id=1128

Sierra designs makes quality gear with professional features at a lower price.

http://marmot.com/fall_2009/equipment/sleeping_bags/outdoor/womens_teton_reg/info/details

Marmot makes great down stuff, period. This bag is reasonably priced.

http://www.rei.com/product/778167

it's a +10 bag, but I've had a couple REI bags and were really happy with their performance (I had a -20 and a +40 down bag and they both were awesome...) And, as mentioned before, If you don't like it or it wears out you can exchange it for something else. These are not THE best bags around, but for fall/ winter camping trips where you'll be sleeping in a tent, this will be great. Also, if you do still get cold, put a ridge rest under your thermarest and double up on your ground insulation. That will help a lot too.

Edvin

Nov 8, 2009, 10:17 PM
Post #20 of 22 (3797 views)
Shortcut

Re: [newriverE] down sleeping bag opinions/suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

newriverE wrote:
Also, if you do still get cold, put a ridge rest under your thermarest and double up on your ground insulation. That will help a lot too.

Or just get an Exped Downmat 9 :)

Bats

Nov 9, 2009, 12:40 AM
Post #21 of 22 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want cheap and heavy...Campmor...I have bought a Slumberjack 0 bag like 10 years ago and paid $40, but it is heavy, perfect for car camping. Work great in 15 degrees in Arkansas about 2 years ago. Wink I did buy a North Face Cat's Meow 20 like 1 1/2 years ago, I am not really that impress with it. It is comfortable to 30 degrees and colder beyond that not really. I had to threw some hand warmers in there on New Years at Erock and wished I had my 0 bag.Crazy
Western Mountaineering is the bag when I have real cash to spend. They have ultralight bags(1lbs) and warmth levels are great. I didn't find it at REI, but at a locally owned camp supplied store, Whole Earth Provision. I was really impressed with the quality of the bag. $300 something, but I think it will be worth it, especially when I start to go ultralight backpacking.Sly

Fenst

Nov 9, 2009, 4:04 AM
Post #22 of 22 (3746 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bats] down sleeping bag opinions/suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used Kelty, TNF, mountain hardwear, coleman, and western mountaineering ultralite super 20 deg. down.

I used the WM bag on a PCT and Colorado trail thru-hike and it worked great. My only complaint is the narrow foot box. But this is one of the sacrifices to make this bag so light. The fabric is strong and the stitching is reinforced in all the right places. I have had a couple of cold nights when faced with back to back rainy days in the Pacfic Northwest backcountry.

I also like my coleman 15 deg. mummy. It cost less than $75 and has kept me warm down to around it's rating. The zipper on that bag is stiff and operates the best out of all my bags.

As for my other bags, I have either sold them off due to their bland performance or never need to use them. All I ever needed was my WM for fast and light adventures and my coleman for car/base camping.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook