RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

lizardontherocks

Nov 10, 2009, 12:48 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2166 views)
Shortcut

Parking lot changes to come at Rumbling Bald, NC
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As you know parking is changing at Rumbling Bald, NC. I talked with ranger Adrienne Wallace on Sunday and she said big changes are on the way. The lower parking lot will be gated and closed. Posts will be installed on the right side of the lot closing parking on that side as well. Parking will only be available on the left side and will be drastically reduced. There will be a public forum soon and the time will be posted on the NC State Parks website www.ncparks.gov or Adrienne Wallace will email you with the time of this meeting if you email her. Adrienne.wallace@ncmail.net or her number is 828-625-1823. She is really nice, so please be kind to her in order to keep positive relationships up with the rangers. I know the changes are hard for us, but the reality is that we need to be aware of our huge impact on the area the past few years, especially in the boulderfield. Keep an open mind. The changes are coming in order to help preserve the sensitive nature of the resource and to help keep it open to all. Too many people equals too much damage to fragile ecosystems. We will need to start carpooling to The Bald and realize that just like in our national parks, limiting access helps save the resource for many generations to come.

rock_fencer

Nov 10, 2009, 12:59 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lizardontherocks] Parking lot changes to come at Rumbling Bald, NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

good to know. last time i was there a huge gravel road was there. Is the parking then on the left side of this road?

thatguyat99

Nov 10, 2009, 6:48 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2117 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] Parking lot changes to come at Rumbling Bald, NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeh you will park on the left side of the road...
from what i have heard you won't be able to drive down
the hill to park where the trail starts anymore...small price to pay for a great place to climb.

yodadave

Nov 10, 2009, 1:09 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lizardontherocks] Parking lot changes to come at Rumbling Bald, NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

personally i was kind of pissed when they dozed the whole thing out instead of spending money working on the trails.
They cut dozens of trees, created enough parking for erosion to become a big problem and then did nothing to the trails.

johnwesely

Nov 10, 2009, 1:23 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2091 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yodadave] Parking lot changes to come at Rumbling Bald, NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, the trail to the Cereal Butress is awful.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook