Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Suggestions for a week long trip out west
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

womblep

Nov 13, 2009, 12:09 AM
Post #1 of 16 (19452 views)
Shortcut

Suggestions for a week long trip out west  (North_America: United_States)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Need some places to check out on a road trip out west (NM, AZ, NV, UT) in March. We're going for a week, thinking of renting a camper (if feasible), and mixing up stops at different crags with some short day hikes in case we kill ourselves climbing. We are all pretty new to the sport and can sport climb up to 5.10s at this point. However, we are looking for stuff in the 5.7-5.9 range so the whole group (four of us) can have a go at everything. Top rope is fine but we don't do trad climbing yet. We'd like to have the most bang for our buck at each stop- not just 2 or 3 routes, but enough for a whole day. We're starting from MO and at this point, we were thinking we'd do a loop through NM up to NV and back through CO to MO. We'd like a few more places to check out so I thought I'd hit up this forum to see what you all think.

daggerx

Nov 13, 2009, 1:12 AM
Post #2 of 16 (19433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [womblep] Suggestions for a week long trip out west [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

rifle co, este park co. moab utah, indian creek and zion... life time of amazing shit. in your range.

kennoyce

Nov 13, 2009, 2:11 AM
Post #3 of 16 (19411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can forget about moab, indian creek, and zions if you don't trad climb. you might want to think about red rock canyon in vegas as a stop for some good fun sport climbing, or you can just start trad climbing and then hit the above places and just add red rocks to your list.

dugl33

Nov 13, 2009, 3:47 AM
Post #4 of 16 (19384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wouldn't weather be a factor... still early spring.

Rifle -- burr**?
Estes Park -- burr**?
Moab -- burr**?

Hit Red Rocks, drop to Mt. Lemmon, head on to Joshua Tree. (?) Actually, you only have a week. Might want to just pick one or you'll spend all your time going from one place to the next. Or take off a month... now we're talking!

Jarred8715

Nov 13, 2009, 3:48 AM
Post #5 of 16 (19383 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Suggestions for a week long trip out west [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you end up in moab, ther is a good place for some moderate spoty climbing. one of the only places where there is sport routes in the aread. the place is in kane creek canyon and the name of the crag is called ice cream parlor. you could spend a day here as there is about a dozen sport climbs rating from 5.7 to 5.11 so you make a moab trip lots of fun. and if you are in the area the italian restraunt on main street has excellent food.

climbingtrash

Nov 13, 2009, 3:50 AM
Post #6 of 16 (19380 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

womblep wrote:
Need some places to check out on a road trip out west (NM, AZ, NV, UT) in March. We're going for a week, thinking of renting a camper (if feasible), and mixing up stops at different crags with some short day hikes in case we kill ourselves climbing. We are all pretty new to the sport and can sport climb up to 5.10s at this point. However, we are looking for stuff in the 5.7-5.9 range so the whole group (four of us) can have a go at everything. Top rope is fine but we don't do trad climbing yet. We'd like to have the most bang for our buck at each stop- not just 2 or 3 routes, but enough for a whole day. We're starting from MO and at this point, we were thinking we'd do a loop through NM up to NV and back through CO to MO. We'd like a few more places to check out so I thought I'd hit up this forum to see what you all think.

Red Rocks outside of Las Vegas is a good suggestion. As far as Southern Utah goes, check out the Saint George area. Snow Canyon State park has some good, moderate stuff, as well as the Black Rocks and Chuckawalla crags. I'd suggest getting the guide book for the area and there's plenty of info on Mountain Project too...

http://mountainproject.com/...int_george/105716826

Zion is also only an hours drive from Saint George...well worth a visit if you have time.

UPRISING

Nov 13, 2009, 4:39 AM
Post #7 of 16 (19360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definately go to Red Rocks in Nevada. Almost everywhere else in the other states you mentioned will still be too wet from snow and too cold in March. There is an awesome cool weather crag at Red Rocks called Sunny & Steep. That crag has its own micro-climate, as I have been able to enjoy a shirtless day of climbing there on Christmas day. Copious routes of all grades and types are available throughout Red Rocks
In reply to:
. I would spend the entire week there to maximize use of time, and there are more routes than you could even think about climbing in that amount of time. If you come out West during warmer months, the other suggestions from other posters are premium locations such as Rifle and Estes Park. Other great destinations in CO for warmer months are Shelf Road and Clear Creek Canyon. Warm UT destinations that I recommend are American Fork Canyon, Logan Canyon and Big Cottonwood Canyon.

Have an awesome trip!

tradmanclimbs

Nov 13, 2009, 1:04 PM
Post #8 of 16 (19330 views)
Shortcut

Re: [UPRISING] Suggestions for a week long trip out west [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For march moderate sport climbing I am going to 3rd or 4th red rocks. If you want a rest day drive and don't want to spend the whole rest day on the strip then you could skoot up to St george. the oasis is a good cheap clean spot to crash in between st GEORGE UT and RR NV but with a short week you might do better just staying in Vegas...

kennoyce

Nov 13, 2009, 3:40 PM
Post #9 of 16 (19290 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradmanclimbs] Suggestions for a week long trip out west [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would also have to agree that St. George would be a great option. I think I take it for granted and forget to mention it, but there is a ton of great moderate sport climbing around the St. George Area. I would get the book Rock Climbs of Southwest Utah by Todd Goss and you could easily spend a week in St. George. That being said, Red Rocks is more of a destination climbing spot.

As far as people saying that Moab will be too cold in March, I have to disagree. March is one of my favorite times to climb in Moab and if you started trad climbing, it would be my number 1 recomendation.

wmfork

Nov 13, 2009, 4:00 PM
Post #10 of 16 (19286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Suggestions for a week long trip out west [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
You can forget about moab, indian creek, and zions if you don't trad climb.
Your time would be much better spent at the red instead of taking a trip out west if you don't trad climb.

marc801

Nov 13, 2009, 4:11 PM
Post #11 of 16 (19280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doesn't anyone actually read posts here any more? The OP wrote:

womblep wrote:
We are all pretty new to the sport and can sport climb up to 5.10s at this point. However, we are looking for stuff in the 5.7-5.9 range so the whole group (four of us) can have a go at everything. Top rope is fine but we don't do trad climbing yet.

Just a reminder to folks suggesting Zion, Moab, Estes Park, and other areas that may have a smattering of sport routes but are predominantly trad. Even Red Rocks has damned little sport climbing in the requested 5.7 - 5.9 range. Regarding Rifle, aren't the easy warm-ups around 11b?

The other thing the OP needs to realize that in a week, starting from MO, and taking in NM, AZ, NV,and UT, they'll spend far more time driving than climbing. Suggestion: pick one.

climbingtrash

Nov 13, 2009, 5:39 PM
Post #12 of 16 (19264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Suggestions for a week long trip out west [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Doesn't anyone actually read posts here any more? The OP wrote:

womblep wrote:
We are all pretty new to the sport and can sport climb up to 5.10s at this point. However, we are looking for stuff in the 5.7-5.9 range so the whole group (four of us) can have a go at everything. Top rope is fine but we don't do trad climbing yet.

Just a reminder to folks suggesting Zion, Moab, Estes Park, and other areas that may have a smattering of sport routes but are predominantly trad. Even Red Rocks has damned little sport climbing in the requested 5.7 - 5.9 range. Regarding Rifle, aren't the easy warm-ups around 11b?

The other thing the OP needs to realize that in a week, starting from MO, and taking in NM, AZ, NV,and UT, they'll spend far more time driving than climbing. Suggestion: pick one.

Best suggestion yet.

MS1

Nov 13, 2009, 6:10 PM
Post #13 of 16 (19257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Screw the west; go to the red. Good weather in March, great rock, short approaches, and a ton of routes.

This way, you avoid all the driving from place to place and have just as many routes. Seriously, in a week going to all the places you mention you will do far more driving than climbing.

womblep

Nov 13, 2009, 6:34 PM
Post #14 of 16 (19242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] Suggestions for a week long trip out west [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The suggestion to pick just one place makes sense, so thank you for that. Red rocks is still a possibility if we make some improvement by the time of the trip (damn well better since we're climbing once a week). However, the suggestion to hit up the red might be a winner since it's only about 8 hrs from us and has plenty of climbing in our range. Thanks for all the replies.

Putter224

Apr 8, 2013, 8:09 AM
Post #15 of 16 (14709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The same think

(This post was edited by Putter224 on Apr 8, 2013, 8:10 AM)

marc801

Apr 8, 2013, 7:09 PM
Post #16 of 16 (14651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Putter224] Suggestions for a week long trip out west [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Putter224 wrote:
The same think
New user registered today - check.
First post is a reply to a several years old thread - check.
Reply makes little to no sense - check.

Spam post and link coming from this user in ...3...2...1...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook