Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dingus

Oct 30, 2009, 2:02 AM
Post #26 of 42 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] DO NOT CLIMB AT LAKE OSWEGO! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
I'm sure like all of us, you enjoy the benefit of low cost goods that RR's transport.

Jeezus fucking A christ you are a humorless bore. I mean that.

FUCK!@

DMT

caughtinside

Oct 30, 2009, 3:44 AM
Post #27 of 42 (6068 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] DO NOT CLIMB AT LAKE OSWEGO! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

But the low cost goods! Think of the low cost goods!

kobaz

Oct 30, 2009, 4:15 AM
Post #28 of 42 (6059 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] DO NOT CLIMB AT LAKE OSWEGO! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:

And the children? Think of the children?

dlintz

Oct 30, 2009, 4:35 AM
Post #29 of 42 (6054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] DO NOT CLIMB AT LAKE OSWEGO! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:

Who doesn't love them some low cost goods? McCain would've won if he'd ran on the "low cost goods" ticket.

d.

the_leech

Oct 30, 2009, 4:52 AM
Post #30 of 42 (6048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
dynosore wrote:
I'm sure like all of us, you enjoy the benefit of low cost goods that RR's transport.

Jeezus fucking A christ you are a humorless bore. I mean that.

FUCK!@

DMT

You ignorant hippie, dingus.

Railroads are not meant to be humorous. They are Very Serious Business.

That's why they used to beat hippies with iron bars -- to show them just how serious the railroads are.

Ah, the good ol' days.

josiahdood

Oct 30, 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #31 of 42 (6029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tymebldr] DO NOT CLIMB AT LAKE OSWEGO! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

That's pretty ridiculous about getting ticketed. Do they ticket the bums that wander around those tracks too?

We used to have huge keggers out there in high school. Once in a while, we'd actually see a train passing... at 2am. Rowdy high school drinking seems potentially more dangerous than climbing on some bolts...

I'm with everyone else, screw the railroad.

tymebldr

Nov 19, 2009, 3:44 PM
Post #32 of 42 (5950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] DO NOT CLIMB AT LAKE OSWEGO! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It was the Red line tracks.

Nice map!

photoguy190

Nov 19, 2009, 4:24 PM
Post #33 of 42 (5934 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tymebldr] DO NOT CLIMB AT LAKE OSWEGO! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I may be wrong but I always though that railroads just had a right of way. Basic they just worked out a deal with a land owner to use there land right? How far is the cliff from the tracks? Right of way is normally not more then 20 feet. Who's land is the cliff on. The railroad can keep you from walking the tracks, but not off someone else property. Is there another way to the cliff line? Again I may be wrong but right of way can't take away a unique feature of the land, has anyone talked to the actually land owner. Like I said I may be completely wrong this is just what I understand. I just don't like big corporation taking over the use of the outdoors. My girlfriend, is in law school and said that just putting up a no trespassing sign helps them with liability if someone would get hurt. Something like no reasonable person would pass the sign. I guess climbers are not reasonable people all that often.

healyje

Nov 19, 2009, 5:04 PM
Post #34 of 42 (5914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [photoguy190] DO NOT CLIMB AT LAKE OSWEGO! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

The problem is one of trade offs from my perspective given which tracks are involved.

This track is very likely managed by the same crew of folks who manage the tracks at the base of Beacon Rock where us Portlanders trad climb. At Beacon the tracks are right at the base of the cliff, and fully wired for rockfall detection. And, of late, we've been actively working with the railroad doing pre-season work sessions with the railroad and the Beacon Park staff, where they send out work crews to Beacon, stop and / or slow the trains, and then we do coordinated / monitored drops of large, loose rocks which might endanger climbers and the tracks. Afterwards the railroad sends computerized track gauging vehicles over the track to verify there's been no damage - even if their own crew says nothing hit them.

And the track out at Beacon is one of the busiest in the NW, so for them to even acknowledge climbers let alone stopping and slowing trains and agreeing to work with us and the park in a coordinated fashion is a big deal. And the park staff make no bones about the fact that of all the many stakeholders involved out at Beacon, the one we don't want pissed off at us, or the park, is the railroad.

So the question is do we want to aggravate these guys over what amounts to a bouldering spot with what, a half dozen or dozen routes? I understand the inconvenience, but I'm just suggesting it might not be worth it in the long run. Oh, and I should mention the other reason these guys might be a bit touchy is that there were three fataliities further up in the Gorge from Beacon involving windsurfers accessing launch sites across their tracks and they might be sensitive to all recreation access involving their tracks.

(This post was edited by healyje on Nov 19, 2009, 5:09 PM)

skiclimb

Nov 24, 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #35 of 42 (5870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These things take time and patience to resolve. Often they can be resolved by intelligent and respectful approach of the party that is closing the area. A small group of people approaching the railroad and helping them understand the sport and the lack of risk for their enterprise can make a huge difference.

I called the number and a couple others. probably wwont here anything back till next week due to holiday.

Need more information such as exact location and exact railroads involved.

cmagee1

Feb 3, 2011, 7:42 AM
Post #36 of 42 (5448 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] DO NOT CLIMB AT LAKE OSWEGO! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but might as well give an update. Signs still up. Crag is terribly slippery and dirty, moss everywhere. A couple buddies and I checked it out a couple days ago, its still fully bolted. We were there for around 30 minutes and saw at least 4 people walking dogs on the tracks. We talked to one, she said a train comes by ever few days but always late at night. As we were getting back in our cars a cop drove past and slowed down to check us out as he passed us. Seems sketchy. I think the biggest issue is going to be people in the neighborhood calling the fuzz on every parked car that doesn't explicitly belong there.

healyje

Feb 3, 2011, 8:00 AM
Post #37 of 42 (5439 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cmagee1] DO NOT CLIMB AT LAKE OSWEGO! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The biggest issue is the climbing there isn't worth aggravating the railroad over.

tymebldr

May 28, 2011, 11:51 AM
Post #38 of 42 (5266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a nice climb when you live nearby. Yeah, you are correct in that there are much better routes in the PDX area, but the easy access makes this worth while. ESPECIALLY when one has but an hour of free time to climb.

I still hope that this gets resolved.

lazymonkey

Jun 15, 2011, 2:09 PM
Post #39 of 42 (5028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Damn straight. I am way fucking tired of these gymbred rule following toe the line straight jacket do gooders messing up the dirtbag image of MY SPORT.

If you want to follow the fucking rules STAY ON THE PINK ROUTE.

And phuck the railroad! Fuckers used to beat up people with iron bars and throw bums off the train. Whats a little vandalism payback, huh?

HUH???????

DMT

At least there's 1 of you with half a set of balls. What a bunch of pussies

funnelator

Jun 17, 2011, 4:56 PM
Post #40 of 42 (4954 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lazymonkey] DO NOT CLIMB AT LAKE OSWEGO! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Trespassers have balls? Hardly. Really they are just sneaking around hiding in the trees or behind some rocks. That or they end up trying to explain to a property owner or a cop why they are entitled to climb wherever they want. Or they will just lie. Another "ballsy" feat common to trespassers.

Regardless, climbers who trespass jeopardize access elsewhere for other climbers. And in this case they are doubling that jeopardy by bragging about how big their trespassing balls are here on a popular climbing website where private cliff owners surely check in on occasion to see what climbers are up to.

If you are a trespasser, and you want to show some balls, try confronting your own selfishness.

Trasgo

Jun 19, 2011, 7:05 PM
Post #41 of 42 (4869 views)
Shortcut

Re: [funnelator] DO NOT CLIMB AT LAKE OSWEGO! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

funnelator wrote:

a popular climbing website where private cliff owners surely check in on occasion to see what climbers are up to.

I'm sure every landowner in the PNW with a cliff on their property makes sure to check into rocknoob.com at least once a week to make sure no one is bragging about poaching a line from them.

uh huh...sure of that I am

funnelator

Jun 22, 2011, 12:27 PM
Post #42 of 42 (4773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Trasgo] DO NOT CLIMB AT LAKE OSWEGO! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't say every cliff owner in the PNW. I did say private cliff owners, meaning some, surely check in on this board to see what climbers are up to. And not just private cliff owners in the Pacific Northwest.

Really, do you think climbers spouting off online about how ballsy trespassing is will favorably influence any private cliff owner anywhere?

Trespassing is disrespectful and selfish. Bragging about it online is stupid.

Edited to add:
Regarding poaching, which means "trespassing to steal", it is unwise for climbers to describe themselves as thieves of any sort.

(This post was edited by funnelator on Jun 22, 2011, 1:01 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook