RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

visitorfromuk

Dec 6, 2002, 8:54 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1812 views)
Shortcut

any ideas for our our road trip???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

from the 18 december to 4 january a couple of mates and i will be travelling from phoenix to san francisco, hoping to get as much climbing as possible in on the way....and hopefully get to know a few locals.
we're generally planning to stick to single pitch routes and bouldering, and would really appreciate some suggestions as to where to go. Although we will have a tent (we dont want to use it!!), some ideas about cheap places to stay would be great, especially in the colder areas.
we havent planned an itinary as such, so at the moment we're very flexible.
my email is;
simon_bailey_uk@hotmail.com
any info or offers of tours will be gratefully appreciated.

bolder

Dec 6, 2002, 9:10 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1812 views)
Shortcut

any ideas for our our road trip??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Head north to Vegas via St. George UT, for some sport then hit Red Rocks and then going North on HWY 95 you can hit The Mecca for some boulering, then head north again and cross over into Bishop, CA for some more bouldering. The temps are cold at night in the winter, but you should be fine during the day.

micronut

Dec 7, 2002, 12:18 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

go to Josh, but you'll have to use your tent. It's a must-do, a pilgrimage.

richardaiken

Dec 8, 2002, 2:07 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A logical driving route would be Phoenix-Joshua Tree (4 hours west), then north to Red Rock (200 miles, 3 hours through the Mojave Desert-but MUCH longer via hwy 10 and back east on hwy . 15-I can give you the details, if you wish), then north to Bishop ( the route is complex, but highway for most of it). If you do the St. George, route, the earlier posting is a good itinerary.
For cheap hotels, look at http://www.orbitz.com and Expedia.com You should be able to find decent hotels for $30-40 almost anywhere. There is no need to make reservations most places and if you are flexible about when to travel and where to stay, you can see signs on the roads for cheap hotels.

Red Rock and Joshua Tree have been in the low 60 degree range (daytimes) for the past week, and down to high 30s or low 40s at night.
In Las Vegas, you can get hotels for $20 per night.
I would be happy to join you folks for part of the trip. It will be very easy for you to meet other climbers at Jtree (Hidden Valley campground) and Red Rock (go to the Gallery or the Black Corridor)

[ This Message was edited by: richardaiken on 2002-12-08 18:03 ]

curt

Dec 8, 2002, 2:37 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From Phoenix you really should go to Joshua Tree. However do not take I-40, as in the post above. Rather go straight West on I-10 and enter the park at its South entrance. (A map ought to clear this up.)

Curt

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook