Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
U.S. DWS
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jookyhead

Nov 20, 2009, 12:08 AM
Post #1 of 12 (14799 views)
Shortcut

U.S. DWS  (North_America: United_States)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've got about a month off of work come June and am hoping to check out various DWS areas across the states. Any suggestions? Is Summersville still off limits? Would Pace Bend be worth the trip? Any beta is appreciated. Thanks all.

munky

Nov 21, 2009, 1:00 PM
Post #2 of 12 (14741 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jookyhead] U.S. DWS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As long as you aren't explicitly jumping off of the cliffs at Summersville you will be fine. I'm a bit biased as I live in Fayetteville, WV and love the NRG so much that i moved here but really man DWS at teh lake on a summer day is amazing and the rock is by far world class and endless. We don't have the inspiring arches like Mallorca but we do have superior grade sandstone that forms horizontals, pockets, brain slopers, splitter cracks, tiered roofs, and everything else between to make for fantastic climbing. I'd go so far to say that the rock is better than Mallorca because of the splitter cracks and dihedral lines that are availabel in addition to the overhanging lines. THE PLACE IS SICK! COME CHECK IT OUT.

Partner angry

Nov 21, 2009, 3:05 PM
Post #3 of 12 (14724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been seeing some absolutely pee your pants (not problem cause you're wearing a swim suit) good DWS photos of Lake Powell over on MP. There is also allusion of even better and more epic stuff that there aren't photos of. We're talking about 100' water. Pretty effing cool.

Something to keep in mind as well is islands near the US that aren't the US. Bermuda has 125 established DWS lines, some of them are ulta classic. I'm sure the US and British Virgin Islands have a ton, as well as the Caymans. Cuba is a climbers paradise.

Just some ideas.

Partner camhead

Nov 21, 2009, 5:56 PM
Post #4 of 12 (14690 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] U.S. DWS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pace Bend is worth the trip. If you know someone with a boat, check out Lake Whitney in North Texas as well. Lake Powell looks awesome, and if you do some searching, Flaming Gorge reservoir has a LOT of potential.

jookyhead

Nov 24, 2009, 7:25 PM
Post #5 of 12 (14588 views)
Shortcut

Re: [munky] U.S. DWS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

@Munky - It's good to hear from a local. Browsing online had left me with the impression that DWS had been clumped in with cliff jumping by the powers that be. I've definitely ogled Summersville pictures for years.

@Angry - Checked out the Lake Powell area on MP, definitely leaked a little haha. It never really occurred to me there'd be options there though it entirely makes sense.
Looks amazing.

Saw some pictures from Bermuda as well, though I can't find much on the Virgin Islands. You aware of anyone who's actually climbed there or books/sites with info? Not that I'm not down to explore, it'd just be nice to have a wee bit of beta before shipping out that far.

@camhead - Lake Whitney looks amazing as well, Texas seems to have an abundance of options. It's looking like I could easily kill a month just doing Washington, Utah/Nevada, and Texas options if I so pleased!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to get back to me. It's still a ways off obviously but I'm already getting the itch.

Bats

Nov 24, 2009, 8:32 PM
Post #6 of 12 (14564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pace Bend on Lake Travis...I believe the lake's level is still too low for DWS. You might want to do research on this.

minibiter

Nov 24, 2009, 9:04 PM
Post #7 of 12 (14552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

munky wrote:
As long as you aren't explicitly jumping off of the cliffs at Summersville you will be fine. I'm a bit biased as I live in Fayetteville, WV and love the NRG so much that i moved here but really man DWS at teh lake on a summer day is amazing and the rock is by far world class and endless. We don't have the inspiring arches like Mallorca but we do have superior grade sandstone that forms horizontals, pockets, brain slopers, splitter cracks, tiered roofs, and everything else between to make for fantastic climbing. I'd go so far to say that the rock is better than Mallorca because of the splitter cracks and dihedral lines that are availabel in addition to the overhanging lines. THE PLACE IS SICK! COME CHECK IT OUT.

Are any of the DWS lines going to be in the new guide?

I'll be headed out there tomorrow to get on the un-named 10c splitter near Pirate's Cove. We call it Indian Summer.

munky

Nov 26, 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #8 of 12 (14472 views)
Shortcut

Re: [minibiter] U.S. DWS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure but I'll ask Mikey next tlime I see him and get back to you. I kinda hope he doesn't include them because I've always liked the idea of just picking out what looks cool and just going for it. The name and grade would kind of take away from the experience in my opinion.

curator

Nov 27, 2009, 12:39 AM
Post #9 of 12 (14454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the new guide will include whipperwill (all the stuff in the cater guide plus about 40 more routes south of the descent gully), and Long Point. 50+ routes across the lake from whipperwill. The only routes listed are those that have been climbed with rope during the low water season. Many of these are soloable when the water is up but the official rule is that DWS is still illegal.

flamer

Nov 27, 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #10 of 12 (14404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curator] U.S. DWS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a sick place near Winslow Arizona.
It's called Mcammond Res. Most folks refer to it as either "clear creek" or "east clear creek" There is info on this site and MP.com.

The rock is exactly like the stuff in Red rock NV.

Super fun...but you probably want a boat. We had inflatable kayaks that worked great.

josh

minibiter

Nov 28, 2009, 5:26 AM
Post #11 of 12 (14376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

munky wrote:
Not sure but I'll ask Mikey next tlime I see him and get back to you. I kinda hope he doesn't include them because I've always liked the idea of just picking out what looks cool and just going for it. The name and grade would kind of take away from the experience in my opinion.

Yeah, last time I was out at Whipperwhill I took a walk around and there are some crazy beautiful lines that would make great DWS when the lake is up. They didn't all look hard either... but some did! Looked like there was more rock there than in the entire NRG. Plus when the lake is down you can see exactly where all the bad landings are...

minibiter

Nov 28, 2009, 5:29 AM
Post #12 of 12 (14373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curator] U.S. DWS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curator wrote:
the new guide will include whipperwill (all the stuff in the cater guide plus about 40 more routes south of the descent gully), and Long Point. 50+ routes across the lake from whipperwill. The only routes listed are those that have been climbed with rope during the low water season. Many of these are soloable when the water is up but the official rule is that DWS is still illegal.

Wonder how we go about getting it legal... Might the lure of more tourism help?

Can't wait to get that guide

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook