Forums: Climbing Information: General:
How to Survive a Free Solo
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

notapplicable

Dec 1, 2009, 1:04 PM
Post #177 of 794 (7365 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] How to Survive a Free Solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
king_rat wrote:
I don’t know about you but I have certainly done stupid things as a younger man.
Sorry NA, but I haz to do it...
NA haz done stupid things!!! Look at his profile icon!!!!LaughLaugh

Not at all my good man, not at all. Thats why that pic is there; CONSTANT REMINDER.

Partner angry

Dec 1, 2009, 1:21 PM
Post #178 of 794 (7354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CrazyPetie] How to Survive a Free Solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

CrazyPetie wrote:
Now THATS the funniest thing someone has said to me so far. First of all, just because someone gets injured does not mean the crag is going to get shut down....

The public views climbing no different than caving. Here's an example from last week. http://www.csmonitor.com/...128/p02s07-usgn.html

In reply to:
On Friday afternoon officials said it's too dangerous to retrieve Jones's body and that the cave will be permanently closed. A memorial for Jones may be placed at the entrance of the cave.

There are a good many places we climb on that would prefer to shut down access for our own good. They're just looking for an excuse.

sungam

Dec 1, 2009, 1:26 PM
Post #179 of 794 (7351 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] How to Survive a Free Solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
sungam wrote:
king_rat wrote:
I don’t know about you but I have certainly done stupid things as a younger man.
Sorry NA, but I haz to do it...
NA haz done stupid things!!! Look at his profile icon!!!!LaughLaugh

Not at all my good man, not at all. Thats why that pic is there; CONSTANT REMINDER.
Yup, and not just to you. Thanks.

dingus wrote:

What's the First Rule of Breakneck?

Don't talk about free solos.

What's the 2nd Rule of Breakneck?

Don't threaten violence on an MMA fighter.

DMT
http://www.metro.co.uk/...rs-beat-up-attackers
The video gets good at around 1:20, when the drunk guy tries to punch the cagefighter in drag.

wonderwoman

Dec 1, 2009, 3:08 PM
Post #182 of 794 (7289 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Threats of physical violence are not at all cool or tolerated here. I've hidden all of those types of posts, as well as those that included them in the quotes.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...Forum_Rules_513.html
Specific Forum Policies
No Personal attacks, Flaming and Trolling.

Personal attacks and hate posts will not be tolerated in any forum. Personal attacks on another user are a great way to earn some time off, as is posting inflammatory material specifically to provoke a negative response from someone (aka trolling). If you are unclear about what a 'troll' is, a description can be found here. We consider threats of physical violence, be they veiled or otherwise, to be one of the most egregious violations of this rule.

subantz

Dec 1, 2009, 3:18 PM
Post #183 of 794 (7279 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] How to Survive a Free Solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Where did my post go?
Just kiddin mod I have no posts missing.
I would say hello Wonderchicky I am Suby the all mighty how are you.
Can you make me the invisible post guy. No name thread killer, Please....
Thanks sexy suby the super beast.

wonderwoman

Dec 1, 2009, 3:54 PM
Post #184 of 794 (7261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [subantz] How to Survive a Free Solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

subantz wrote:
Where did my post go?
Just kiddin mod I have no posts missing.
I would say hello Wonderchicky I am Suby the all mighty how are you.
Can you make me the invisible post guy. No name thread killer, Please....
Thanks sexy suby the super beast.

Crazy-posting, on the other hand, is a-okay!

Partner robdotcalm

Dec 1, 2009, 4:03 PM
Post #185 of 794 (7256 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cp:

Thanks for the post. The video is well done by the standards of climbing videos and says more about the dangers of free soloing than a hundred pious rants.

An addition to the list of dead free soloers: Jimmy Jewel was a leading British climber in the 70s and 80s. He died while warming up on a 5.7. He was wearing tennis shoes. It never occurred to him to put on climbing shoes for anything less than 5.9 or 5.10.

Cheers,
Rob.calm

ryanb

Dec 1, 2009, 4:28 PM
Post #186 of 794 (7235 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ingrahamd] How to Survive a Free Solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ingrahamd wrote:
ryanb wrote:
ingrahamd wrote:
CrazyPetie wrote:
. Would you call Alex Honnold stupid? If you would, then you just dont get it.

Honnold is the man, Son! Obviously this guy doesn't get it, and quite frankly I don't solo, so I don't pretend to get either.

If you look at someone like Honnold, he'll go and solo Half Dome and tell nobody. Why? Because he does it for himself. I heard an interview with him (this is going back sometime) on podclimber, and he even said he only told his one buddy that had belayed him the day before.

Honnold solos for himself and I think that's why you solo, not to try and pick up that blonde chick he almost hit on the way down...

I'll call Honald stupid. There were camera crews rigged on his half dome solo. I don't think that equals not telling anyone...

I have met 4 climbers in my life who soloed at a high level (5.12, 5.11 onsite, 5.11 down climbing, big stuff in the mountains)...real climbers though, none of them particularly famous or sponsored... they might tell you about some of the stuff they'd done or you might hear about it from others but you won't read about it in the mags.

These people are machines on the rock, strong enough to hang out and test every hold for loose rock, reverse any move, down climb the whole route if they need to.

3 of them don't solo anymore...one because he died soloing, one because he miraculously survived a hugh tumbling fall in the mountains and the 3d saw too many friends and heros die doing it.

The 4th lives in a POS mini van you will see if you spend enough time at world class crags in north america.

Soloing is stupid. People like Honald just solo 'cause they want free shoes and can't keep up with Caldwell on a rope.

Alright,Pal. I'm not sure if Honnold soloed Half Dome again, but I know for a fact that the first time he soloed it....he was solo. Maybe you're thing of the Moonligh Butress?? I know he soloed that, too.

Now as far as climbing for free shoes goes... I'm pretty sure Alex Honnold doesn't NEED to solo Half Dome or anything to get free pair of shoes!? Come on dude. If you can Solo MB, I'm pretty sure you already climb at a level that'll score you some free shoes....

Some people just don't think it through...

Here is the video:
http://vodpod.com/watch/2486564-alex-honnold-half-dome-free-solo-on-vimeo

Note the north face logos and general stupidity.

There ARE people out there who solo near that level (i'm talking up and down soloing old school granite test pieces etc...) and don't video tape it. I'm just saying, the few i've met toned it down or died after a while.

jt512

Dec 1, 2009, 5:01 PM
Post #187 of 794 (7198 views)
Shortcut

Re: [king_rat] How to Survive a Free Solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

king_rat wrote:
Sometimes the holier then thou, attitude of some of the posters on this board gets on my nerves. Yes the guy in the video did something stupid, no his climbing was not perfect, but who the hell are we to judge him.

Smarter people?

Jay

subantz

Dec 1, 2009, 5:06 PM
Post #188 of 794 (7190 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] How to Survive a Free Solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

*PLONK*

jt512

Dec 1, 2009, 5:07 PM
Post #189 of 794 (7187 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] How to Survive a Free Solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
Many of the same people here who are calling the subject of the video an idiot are those who speak of famous soloers in tones of reverance. The only real difference is that this guy fell.

Hopefully, you can think of a few more differences between the climber in the video and a climber like, say, Peter Croft.

Jay

jt512

Dec 1, 2009, 5:09 PM
Post #190 of 794 (7183 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] How to Survive a Free Solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
king_rat wrote:
Sometimes the holier then thou, attitude of some of the posters on this board gets on my nerves.

Esp. considering many of their critics are wet behind the ears noobs who've never soloed a fucking thing in their lives bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa!!!1111

I see no problem at all with a beginner who recognizes that he does not have the skill to solo criticizing another beginner who falsely believes he does.

Jay

dingus

Dec 1, 2009, 5:19 PM
Post #191 of 794 (7170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] How to Survive a Free Solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
dingus wrote:
king_rat wrote:
Sometimes the holier then thou, attitude of some of the posters on this board gets on my nerves.

Esp. considering many of their critics are wet behind the ears noobs who've never soloed a fucking thing in their lives bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa!!!1111

I see no problem at all with a beginner who recognizes that he does not have the skill to solo criticizing another beginner who falsely believes he does.

Jay

Its not the criticizing I object to - its the parrot-like manner in which its done. The whole 'do it for yourself' bullshit for example...

DMT

jt512

Dec 1, 2009, 5:26 PM
Post #192 of 794 (7160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
jt512 wrote:
dingus wrote:
king_rat wrote:

Jay

Its not the criticizing I object to - its the parrot-like manner in which its done. The whole 'do it for yourself' bullshit for example...

DMT

Gotcha'. That bugs me too.

Jay

CrazyPetie

Dec 1, 2009, 5:47 PM
Post #193 of 794 (7130 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] How to Survive a Free Solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
king_rat wrote:
Sometimes the holier then thou, attitude of some of the posters on this board gets on my nerves....

I agree. Why turn on the guy who posted a FANTASTIC video. He didn't have to post it but I'm glad he did. Sure interpret what you will from that video but don't insult the poster.

Many of the same people here who are calling the subject of the video an idiot are those who speak of famous soloers in tones of reverance. The only real difference is that this guy fell. But hey plenty of other respected soloers have fallen.

I'm not saying that this guy was smart to be climbing like that but please stop you holier than thou attitude.

CRAZYPETIE thanks for your video! Smile

majid_sabet wrote:
This is a great video so if I was insurance company and wanted to know how stupid climbers are, all I had to do just watch this thing and cancel their policies the next day.

It is interesting that you say that considering most travel insurance covers you for soloing but not for leading or top roping.

Thanks guys!

Yea I didn't have to post this. I made the video for my friends. Its not like Mike is proud of it, showing off that he fell and didn't get hurt. They are laughing in the video because they are still in such shock that nothing bad really happened. Its a reminder that soloing is dangerous, thats all its supposed to be.

evanwish

Dec 1, 2009, 5:56 PM
Post #194 of 794 (7113 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crazy_fingers84] How to Survive a Free Solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crazy_fingers84 wrote:
evanwish wrote:
that reminds me of the michael reardon quote.. what was it?

is this the one you're thinking of?

michael reardon wrote:
Ten feet off the ground, you aint soloing for anything other than you. And if you are, you're stupid and you're going to die

yep thats it! that quote's all over the place but i didn't want to mess it up.. its put bluntly, but its a good reminder for soloists... i think....

[i'm a ~5.10c trad leader but got pretty sketched on the "crux" of a 350' 5.5 free solo... so i don't think i'm one to really talk about free soloing]

BenKenobi

Dec 1, 2009, 6:30 PM
Post #195 of 794 (7087 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

CrazyPetie wrote:
We do crazy, wreckless, bold things; i'm surpized this was the first ground fall one of us have had. We really didn't have anyone to guide us, we discovered it all by ourselves.

What, gravity?

johnwesely

Dec 1, 2009, 7:04 PM
Post #196 of 794 (7056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

subantz wrote:
*PLONK*

He can't here you.

Partner cracklover

Dec 1, 2009, 7:42 PM
Post #197 of 794 (7012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
king_rat wrote:

BOO!

DMT

My holier-than-thou attitude is not coming from a wet-behind-the-ears n00b. Although I do feel that it's pretty poor form to beat on someone who's close friend just got such a rude awakening.

That's why I think I've actually been pretty gentle here, and haven't said anything negative about the video or the attitudes expressed therein. Besides, it's a good video, in an "Ow My Balls" kinda way.

But after CP went out of his way to call me a pussy for recognizing that sometime backing down is the smart thing to do, I'll be damned if I'm not going to speak out about the fact that the idiotic macho bullshit ideas he has about what "being a real climber" is turn out to be pretty stupid after all.

But I think he gets it now, so that's cool. And if not, that's cool too. It's only his ass on the line.

GO

(edited for clarity)

(This post was edited by cracklover on Dec 1, 2009, 7:47 PM)

enlightenme

Dec 1, 2009, 7:58 PM
Post #198 of 794 (6992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Honestly, once the video gets past the rock climbing community, I think it's going to go mini-viral...

Partner camhead

Dec 1, 2009, 8:46 PM
Post #199 of 794 (6953 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enlightenme] How to Survive a Free Solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enlightenme wrote:
Honestly, once the video gets past the rock climbing community, I think it's going to go mini-viral...

Yeah, it's way better than the previous, and next-best depiction of idiots getting hurt on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fenWzUBndo

synrock

Dec 1, 2009, 9:19 PM
Post #200 of 794 (6913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] How to Survive a Free Solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
I don't believe I have ever seen a boulderer wearing socks with his climbing shoes....

And those red stockings aren't socks. I'm not quite sure what they actually are....but socks, they aren't! Unless he's swiped his sister's knee socks.

There are THREE (count em) 3 - good reasons all boulders should wear socks (specifically white tube socks).

#!. Performance. You have better friction and feel. Moist skin against shoe leather is not as good a bond as you get when you stick a sock between the two. I know this sounds wrong but I've spent many many years climbing at a micro-edging area - and a light cotton sock simply works better than without. But don't trust me, try it yourself.

#2. Safety. I solo a lot and climb lots of highball boulders. I really can't help myself sometimes I just start climbing up crap. And often I will get to a marginal foot hold and wonder - "dude is your shoe clean?"
Well with a quick whip of the toe on the sock of the other foot I know if I'm good to go (this is why the socks should be white).

#3. Social reasons. The shoes of most boulderers I know smell really really bad. If every climber were to wear a fresh socks the climbing shoe funk would be a thing of the past.

video of boulderer wearing socks on gritstone no less.

http://www.synrockholds.com/gritmoves.mov

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook