Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

CrazyPetie

Dec 6, 2009, 10:24 PM
Post #1 of 68 (10885 views)
Shortcut

Annodized GriGri?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I wanna get my girlfriend a pink gri gri for christmas. Does anyone have experience with coloring or annodizing the grigri's plate? It would be simple if the plate was removable, i guess it could be dipped in up to the hinge.

shoo

Dec 6, 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #2 of 68 (10844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CrazyPetie] Annodized GriGri? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Ermmmm. . .

You would absolutely need to remove the aluminum front plate, remove the existing layer of anodizing, and re-anodize it by itself. However, it doesn't look like there is any feasible way to do this without completely ruining the plate.

Don't even think about trying to anodize the whole thing together. There is more than just aluminum in a grigri. There's quite a bit of plastic in steel in there as well, with several moving parts made of these materials. The anodizing process can't possibly be good for those parts.

In short, this is an awesome idea if you really, really hate your girlfriend.

rhythm164

Dec 6, 2009, 11:07 PM
Post #3 of 68 (10839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ummmmm...taking your grigri apart to adonize it pink is... what's the word...dumb.

(This post was edited by rhythm164 on Dec 6, 2009, 11:08 PM)

CrazyPetie

Dec 6, 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #4 of 68 (10825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhythm164] Annodized GriGri? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea i'm framiliar with the whole anodization process, and i know that the front plate would have to be free from the device. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this before.

sungam

Dec 6, 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #5 of 68 (10802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just spray paint it and call it good. In 2 months she'll wish it wasn't pink anyways, so it's like a double-gift.

Urban_Cowboy

Dec 7, 2009, 1:27 AM
Post #6 of 68 (10750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Contact Petzl with your request, maybe they will custom make it just for you. Probly only cost several times the regular price.Tongue

ShibbyShane

Dec 7, 2009, 5:17 AM
Post #7 of 68 (10681 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Annodized GriGri? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Just spray paint it and call it good. In 2 months she'll wish it wasn't pink anyways, so it's like a double-gift.

Second.

caughtinside

Dec 7, 2009, 5:36 AM
Post #8 of 68 (10663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh I get it! Pink becuase she's a girl! Girls like pink!

Shintao

Dec 7, 2009, 5:53 AM
Post #9 of 68 (10652 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Krylon

coastal_climber

Dec 7, 2009, 6:05 AM
Post #10 of 68 (10646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

CrazyPetie wrote:
I wanna get my girlfriend a pink gri gri for christmas. Does anyone have experience with coloring or annodizing the grigri's plate? It would be simple if the plate was removable, i guess it could be dipped in up to the hinge.

Dude. You ask/say dumber shit than I do. And I say dumb shit.

rschap

Dec 7, 2009, 6:48 AM
Post #11 of 68 (10617 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Annodized GriGri? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I take no responsibility if you’re g/f drops you while belaying with it but I don’t see the big deal. It’s just the outer plate and has little effect on the strength and pretty much just holds the rope on the parts that do. I would think you could drill the pin, or grind the head off and take the plate to the anodizer. It’s not going to be cheep but shit if nothing else do it and tell her not to use it.

(This post was edited by rschap on Dec 7, 2009, 6:49 AM)

CrazyPetie

Dec 7, 2009, 7:35 AM
Post #12 of 68 (10596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Annodized GriGri? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
CrazyPetie wrote:

Why is it dumb? I'm thinking about getting a mass quantity of pink gri gris from petzl and reselling them for like $100 each. Think about it, i bet almost every climber girl you know would want one.

jt512

Dec 7, 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #13 of 68 (10564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (12 ratings)  
Can't Post

CrazyPetie wrote:

When someone posts something incredibly stupid on this web site, many people jump to the conclusion that the poster must be a troll. I, in contrast, have long held, with little corroborating evidence, that many incredibly stupid posts are actually posted by incredibly stupid people. I thank you for providing the missing evidence.

Jay

granite_grrl

Dec 7, 2009, 1:38 PM
Post #14 of 68 (10522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CrazyPetie wrote:
coastal_climber wrote:
CrazyPetie wrote:

Why is it dumb? I'm thinking about getting a mass quantity of pink gri gris from petzl and reselling them for like $100 each. Think about it, i bet almost every climber girl you know would want one.
Really? You seriously think that?

Just get two, one for the gf, and sell the other one to Magnus.

sungam

Dec 7, 2009, 1:47 PM
Post #15 of 68 (10519 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Annodized GriGri? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
CrazyPetie wrote:
coastal_climber wrote:
CrazyPetie wrote:

You're a mean, mean, bitter person, GG. But thanks for linking a picture that reminds me of one of the best nights of my life!

lena_chita

Dec 7, 2009, 3:38 PM
Post #16 of 68 (10457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CrazyPetie wrote:

First reaction-- FACE PALM.

Secondly, Petzl already sells red gri-gris that look sufficiently pink to satisfy your requirement without a lot of trouble.

Finally, I am curious-- are you planning to also dye her shoes and harness pink?

granite_grrl

Dec 7, 2009, 3:41 PM
Post #17 of 68 (10455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Annodized GriGri? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
CrazyPetie wrote:
coastal_climber wrote:
CrazyPetie wrote:

You're a mean, mean, bitter person, GG. But thanks for linking a picture that reminds me of one of the best nights of my life!
I do what I can.

rockforlife

Dec 7, 2009, 3:48 PM
Post #18 of 68 (10447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Annodized GriGri? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
CrazyPetie wrote:

First reaction-- FACE PALM.

Secondly, Petzl already sells red gri-gris that look sufficiently pink to satisfy your requirement without a lot of trouble.

Finally, I am curious-- are you planning to also dye her shoes and harness pink?

I would think that he would, i hear they have a new dye out that uses cat urine. It lasts forever and never fades.Sly

villageidiot

Dec 7, 2009, 4:38 PM
Post #19 of 68 (10402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My basic impression of annodization is that its not much more difficult than constructing an electrolytic or galvanic cell as one might do in a high school chemistry class; however, I suspect making 100 plates the same color could prove to be frustrating. A trip to a college library (or perhaps even a good local library) would probably be enough to figure out if you want to invest the time and money.

And yes I think you could just dip the plate in the solution without disassembling it.

jt512

Dec 7, 2009, 5:27 PM
Post #20 of 68 (10365 views)
Shortcut

Re: [villageidiot] Annodized GriGri? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

villageidiot wrote:
My basic impression of annodization is that its not much more difficult than constructing an electrolytic or galvanic cell as one might do in a high school chemistry class; however, I suspect making 100 plates the same color could prove to be frustrating. A trip to a college library (or perhaps even a good local library) would probably be enough to figure out if you want to invest the time and money.

Alas, for the OP a trip to the library is out of the question. Maybe they have a Bookmobile.

Jay

evanwish

Dec 7, 2009, 7:36 PM
Post #21 of 68 (10299 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Annodized GriGri? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
CrazyPetie wrote:

When someone posts something incredibly stupid on this web site, many people jump to the conclusion that the poster must be a troll. I, in contrast, have long held, with little corroborating evidence, that many incredibly stupid posts are actually posted by incredibly stupid people. I thank you for providing the missing evidence.

Jay

Jay, i it seems like a legitimate question.. course i have no knowledge on anodizing..

CrazyPete, I think its nice, probably not that practicable to get it done, but still very thoughtful of you. Good Man.

bennydh

Dec 7, 2009, 8:18 PM
Post #22 of 68 (10263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CrazyPetie wrote:

Just buy her pink Jewelry, it's what they really want. Tourmaline is an October birthstone, so you could get extra lucky if she was born in October.

C'mon what is sexier Petie? Pink bling, or an expensive brick of cold aluminum that she won't want to touch without her pink belay gloves?

jmeizis

Dec 7, 2009, 8:29 PM
Post #23 of 68 (10251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here's an idea. Buy an ATC and anodize that pink. Then teach her how to actually belay, that way you don't end up decking like your buddy in the video you posted.

lena_chita

Dec 7, 2009, 8:34 PM
Post #24 of 68 (10241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] Annodized GriGri? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
Here's an idea. Buy an ATC and anodize that pink. Then teach her how to actually belay, that way you don't end up decking like your buddy in the video you posted.

Of course, his buddy decked because he was being belayed on the pink gri-gri... Makes sense now.

BirminghamBen

Dec 7, 2009, 8:35 PM
Post #25 of 68 (10239 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] Annodized GriGri? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:

What he said minus the anodizing of the ATC.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook