RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

csproul

Dec 11, 2009, 7:33 PM
Post #1 of 15 (6912 views)
Shortcut

Offset aliens for trad climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I own and use standard Aliens for trad climbing and love them. It looks like I can get a set of offsets at a good price and would like to have them for aid climbing anyway. How many out there use offsets for day to day trad protection? Or do most of you keep them around just for aiding?

trenchdigger

Dec 11, 2009, 7:40 PM
Post #2 of 15 (6904 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Offset aliens for trad climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Day-to-day use? Not so much. They're a specialty piece that fits where other stuff doesn't. I'll bring them on R-rated stuff at Tahquitz and JTree, or on routes that have flaring or pin scarred, difficult to to protect cracks. Unless you like that kind of stuff, they probably won't get a whole lot of use.

kachoong

Dec 11, 2009, 8:20 PM
Post #3 of 15 (6867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The offsets mainly are a crag-specific piece. I've used them on certain volcanic rocks, such as trachyte, where cracks can be flared. Also good in old pin scars in granite and some sandstones.

If you can get them at a decent price, they'd be good to have, but you wouldn't always need them on your rack. If I were you I'd go for the smaller sizes... maybe up to yellow/red. I also find that the offset TCU's are just as good and in most cases cheaper.

shimanilami

Dec 11, 2009, 8:38 PM
Post #4 of 15 (6847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't usually carry them, but if I'm doing a route that is appropriate (thin, pin scarred, granite) I will carry the blue-green and/or green-yellow.

I can't recall any time I've whipped on an offset alien, however, which is odd now that I think about it.

At any rate, if you can get them for a good price and if you'll ever be doing some aid, then you should go for it.

cragmasterp

Dec 11, 2009, 8:44 PM
Post #5 of 15 (6840 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you'll love em for some of those flaired eybrows etc. that you find at Looking Glass and other NC granite.

sspssp

Dec 11, 2009, 9:53 PM
Post #6 of 15 (6771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a number of free routes in Yosemite that are pin scarred enough, that I will carry offset Aliens.

Outside of aid climbing and a few free routes in Yosemite, I can't think of any time that I've used them day to day.

On occasion I've added a specific offset to my rack for a redpoint attempt.

breaksteel

Dec 11, 2009, 9:54 PM
Post #7 of 15 (6769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got them thinking I'd use them all the time. Turns out they work great in the flares and pin scars but I always found normal placements within reaching distance. I stopped climbing trad with them due to weight, and being able to protect in other locations with gear I already have. They are indispensable when climbing aid in my opinion.

irregularpanda

Dec 11, 2009, 11:45 PM
Post #8 of 15 (6715 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] Offset aliens for trad climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
Day-to-day use? Not so much. They're a specialty piece that fits where other stuff doesn't. I'll bring them on R-rated stuff at Tahquitz and JTree, or on routes that have flaring or pin scarred, difficult to to protect cracks. Unless you like that kind of stuff, they probably won't get a whole lot of use.[/quote

I know this is just adding to the mountain of evidence that they are specialized pieces, but I agree. You'd only really use them at places with flares, J-tree for sure. City of rocks would fit that bill also.

I'd get them if you were planning on being a serious aid climber.

billcoe_

Dec 12, 2009, 4:55 PM
Post #9 of 15 (6636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JUST GET THEM, YOU WONT REGRET IT.

Sheese, am I the only dude who just buys gear...just because?

I use to think they were a specialty piece, but I've actually found that if I carry them, there is always placements for them. The same applies to the Metolius offset 3 cam units.

claramie

Dec 12, 2009, 6:03 PM
Post #10 of 15 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Re:Offset aliens for trad climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

agreed, buy a set if you are thinking about it. just like everyone said you won't use them everywhere but they are absolutely critical in the right place... think of routes that were established back in the day on pins and flaring granite. those things eat up pin scars and flares!

Yosemite, Zion, Cochamo and (I bet) plenty of aid in other places would benefit from offsets. Then again, metolius is now making offset TCUs and Master Cams, which aren't as great as aliens in my opinion, but there are other offset options.

I think that yellow / red and green / yellow are the two most useful sizes. The blue / green one works well too but I never placed it much.

CL

(This post was edited by claramie on Dec 12, 2009, 6:04 PM)

BirminghamBen

Dec 29, 2009, 4:16 PM
Post #11 of 15 (6433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cragmasterp] Offset aliens for trad climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cragmasterp wrote:
you'll love em for some of those flaired eybrows etc. that you find at Looking Glass and other NC granite.

What he said. I see you are in NC. Take em to LK once and you'll affirm their value. My NC rack has all manner of offset dodads.

cchas

Dec 30, 2009, 8:59 PM
Post #12 of 15 (6343 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BirminghamBen] Offset aliens for trad climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are going to buy if because you are a gear whore, go for it, but get used day in and day out.... I bought a set about 9 years ago, have used them three times and then gave them away this year. I can often get my BD C3's into spots you would once reserve for only offsets.

moose_droppings

Dec 30, 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #13 of 15 (6316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i use the Metolius offset cams regularly since there is a lot of flared stuff around here. Never been a big fan of Aliens, but if you can get them for a good price, go for it, sooner or later you'll find a place that will need them.

scottydo

Dec 31, 2009, 10:09 PM
Post #14 of 15 (6256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Offset aliens for trad climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

how are the metolius offsets faring for you? There were some nay sayers about them since their metal is harder than that used for aliens and thus less bite.

moose_droppings

Jan 1, 2010, 4:30 AM
Post #15 of 15 (6221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottydo] Offset aliens for trad climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They're really good for our hard, course granite with flaring cracks, which is one of my reasons I prefer them. One of my old partners would need to send in one of his Aliens now and them to replace the lobes, got to be a pain after a while so I never did warm up to them back then. They've got some good qualities but I've always managed to get by without them on my rack.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook