RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

clmbrdancer

Dec 17, 2009, 4:05 AM
Post #1 of 13 (1141 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Picture book for 3 year old?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For Christmas, I'm looking to get my niece a picture book with a climbing (or any outdoorish story) story since she lives in Bozeman, MT.

Are there any pictures book stories about kids having adventures in the outdoors?

Cheers,
Brad

wonderwoman

Dec 17, 2009, 4:11 AM
Post #2 of 13 (1136 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clmbrdancer] Climbing Picture book for 3 year old? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure - but I always thought that somebody should do a climbing pop-up book. Or a 3-D mountaineering book. If you find one, let me know! :)

karmiclimber

Dec 17, 2009, 6:04 AM
Post #3 of 13 (1102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an almost four year old. Her dad got her a book with a sing a long cd called "mike and the bike" (which is hilarious because her dad's name is mike. And he road and mountain bikes). I think lance Armstrong contributed in the writing. She adores the book and the songs. He also got her a dr. Suesse book about maps. She has other books- like Dora's camping adventure. Dora and Diego are always doing outdoorsy stuff- so they are always a good bet. I also have gotten her nat geo and planet earth sticker books. Hope this helps somewhat...

granite_grrl

Dec 17, 2009, 1:24 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A few years ago we made a picture book using our own photos for our niece. It had photos from various trips and then simple captions (Car you find the pica? Look at all the dogs, how many dogs can you count? Aunt Becca is ON the rock. Uncle Nate is UNDER the rock. etc etc). It was nice using photos that included ourselves because she doesn't get to see her aunt and uncle too often, and we hoped this would bring more familiarity.

Speaking of which, I consider making up another one of these book for our niece on my side of our family. She doesn't get to see her aunt and uncle very often either.

wonderwoman

Dec 17, 2009, 2:05 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Climbing Picture book for 3 year old? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's such a cool idea, Rebecca!

kachoong

Dec 17, 2009, 2:35 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
A few years ago we made a picture book using our own photos for our niece. It had photos from various trips and then simple captions (Car you find the pica? Look at all the dogs, how many dogs can you count? Aunt Becca is ON the rock. Uncle Nate is UNDER the rock. etc etc). It was nice using photos that included ourselves because she doesn't get to see her aunt and uncle too often, and we hoped this would bring more familiarity.

Speaking of which, I consider making up another one of these book for our niece on my side of our family. She doesn't get to see her aunt and uncle very often either.

That's so neat!! There are so many directions you could run with this idea. "Find all the bolts...how many are there? None? Oh that's run out!" ..."Oh noes! Mr WMD has fallen again" ..."Can you spot which picks Uncle Nate is using?" You could even put a PTFTW in the top corner of each page... and a passed out Doc hidden somewhere in each picture!

Another idea is to round up all of Majid's drawings and make a book of them... lots of color... lots of action...

karmiclimber

Dec 17, 2009, 2:35 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with WW- that is an awesome idea! Can I ask what you used to make it? So I can steal your idea to make one for my daughter:-D

By the way, they have some rockclimbing, mountaineering, hiking and nat'l park themed stickers and paper at a scrapbooking
place I went to ONCE ( I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about me)...those might be cool to use for such a thing.

granite_grrl

Dec 17, 2009, 2:48 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] Climbing Picture book for 3 year old? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We just used a small photo album. We had a photo on one page, then stuck a card with some writing on the opposite page.

I just started going through some photos this morning. I have a million animal photos, but I'm not finding many I like with Aunt Becca and Uncle Nate.

Edited to add: I don't want to take too much credit for this, the book idea was actually Uncle Nate's. Laugh

(This post was edited by granite_grrl on Dec 17, 2009, 2:51 PM)

edge

Dec 17, 2009, 2:54 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Granite_grrl's idea is awesome.

As for existing books, try this one. It may be rated a bit older than you are looking, but is a good story to cuddle up with and read to your little one.

http://www.amazon.com/...o-Good/dp/1559719036

Partner robdotcalm

Dec 17, 2009, 3:16 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Climbing Picture book for 3 year old? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is too involved for a 3-year old, but some of my grandchildren (>=5) who climbed in the gym enjoyed it. Betty and the Silver Spider by Craig Luebben.

http://www.amazon.com/...-1&condition=new

Cheers,
Rob.calm

gblauer

Dec 17, 2009, 3:31 PM
Post #11 of 13 (996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
We just used a small photo album. We had a photo on one page, then stuck a card with some writing on the opposite page.

Laugh

You can also create an inexpensive book (fully published) on Mypublisher.com. You upload the photos and text and they will produce the book.

I did one of these for Mitch, documenting our first year of climbing together. he cried when he read it.

lvpyne

Dec 17, 2009, 4:06 PM
Post #12 of 13 (974 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Climbing Picture book for 3 year old? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
You can also create an inexpensive book (fully published) on Mypublisher.com. You upload the photos and text and they will produce the book.

I've used lulu.com for the same kind of thing -- they worked really well and did a great job with the final book.

clmbrdancer

Dec 17, 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #13 of 13 (937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the suggestions about Mike and the Bike and perhaps even making my own picture book. I've an old version of Photoshop on my other computer so you've got me thinking!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook