Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

subantz

Dec 25, 2009, 1:36 AM
Post #51 of 82 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] living out of a van? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Or the right, Possibly both, But that takes some skill.
I have a few books and such to keep busy. I am thinking about buying a PSP to make the time go by faster.

guangzhou

Dec 26, 2009, 1:14 AM
Post #52 of 82 (3739 views)
Shortcut

Re: [subantz] living out of a van? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're bored, it's you who is boring. Read, write, campfire chats. The list is endless, you find a way to kill time.

Better off with a woman versus your hands. But those are a bit harder to find when you decide to live life at climbing areas in a van.

Hennessey

Dec 26, 2009, 3:03 AM
Post #53 of 82 (3729 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Urban_Cowboy] living out of a van? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Urban_Cowboy wrote:
If you're gonna live in a van, make sure it's down by the river.

Clicky

Chris Farley was Awesome. David Spade aint shit without him

wallrat

Dec 26, 2009, 4:05 AM
Post #54 of 82 (3713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Hennessey] living out of a van? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I spent eight years living on the road and climbing in my vans. I loved the Vanagons, but they have too many mechanical problems. The haul bag goes on the roof, bike on the front, and you have a kitchen and fridge. Pretty sweet. I had a friend with a Ford, he had a plywood deck as his bed, and built two sliding boxes under it to access from the back. Nice for hiding tools and rack. Choose one with few to no windows. That keeps you low profile, and away from Johnny Ranger tap-tap-tapping in the middle of the night. If you could put a Vanagon interior in a Ford van, plus the pop-top......you'ld have the perfect van.

sspssp

Dec 26, 2009, 11:26 PM
Post #55 of 82 (3679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wallrat] living out of a van? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On most of my long trips, I've either had a partner and/or I spent most of the trip in places where it was easy to hang around other climbers at the campfire (Indian Creek, etc.).

But yeah, traveling by yourself can get lonely and it is not for everybody. I usually tried to hang out at public libraries (over coffee shops) because they typically have free internet and you aren't obliged to buy anything. I'm also in a little bit of a different situation in that I'm in the computer industry and ten hours in the library is just another day in the office...

Going back to an earlier subject, I tend not to park in store parking lots for sleepng overnight. If the lot empties out, it makes me feel that it is too likely to draw attention from a cop, security guard, a theif wanting to break in, etc. When sleeping covertly in a parking lot, I would usually choose a hotel/motel. Sure they have a list of the license tags of the registered guests, but I have yet to have any problems. And hotel guests arrive and leave at odd hours so turning on a light in the middle of night (which I usually avoid) isn't as big of deal.

Partner happiegrrrl

Dec 27, 2009, 1:01 AM
Post #56 of 82 (3659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] living out of a van? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The OP could also set up an account on CouchSurfing.net. Link:
http://www.couchsurfing.org/index.html

If traveling in a new area, once in a while a place in town with a shower and interesting people who can give you a bit of beta is helpful.

I don't have an account there, but have hosted a few people traveling. It's usually pretty cool, but you need to respect their boundaries, especially ones they have verbally indicated, and not park your butt in their home, sleeping til 11am, hogging their internet connection, when they specifically told you they work from there and would appreciate you getting out and seeing the town...ummm, I digress.

sogetthis

Dec 27, 2009, 3:02 AM
Post #57 of 82 (3641 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingnoise] living out of a van? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ugh, have fun being this guy

olderic

Dec 27, 2009, 4:01 AM
Post #58 of 82 (3629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have to ask this question - especially on the Internet - more so on rockclimbing,com (aka yuppie central) - then "living out of a van" is NOT the life style for you

quiteatingmysteak

Dec 27, 2009, 7:38 AM
Post #59 of 82 (3610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] living out of a van? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
If you have to ask this question - especially on the Internet - more so on rockclimbing,com (aka yuppie central) - then "living out of a van" is NOT the life style for you

it IS quite the exclusive club.

Friend of mine is spending winter in joshua tree living in an awesomely decked out van. It works wonders, but I couldn't do it. Not for everyone. Probably worth giving a shot to find out...

guangzhou

Dec 27, 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #60 of 82 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Re: [quiteatingmysteak] living out of a van? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

quiteatingmysteak wrote:
olderic wrote:

it IS quite the exclusive club.

Friend of mine is spending winter in joshua tree living in an awesomely decked out van. It works wonders, but I couldn't do it. Not for everyone. Probably worth giving a shot to find out...

Youa re correct, it's not for everyone. It wasn't the life for me, that's for sure.

maxwell4508

Jan 12, 2010, 5:26 PM
Post #61 of 82 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had good luck sleeping in church parking lots

ClimbingKarma

Jan 13, 2010, 5:40 AM
Post #62 of 82 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] living out of a van? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Better off with a woman versus your hands. But those are a bit harder to find when you decide to live life at climbing areas in a van.
what happen to all the hippie type chicks from the 70's by now they should have daughters ready to live in a van and get barefoot and pregnant..

Almost wish i was single with no kids I'd love to take a van and do like the guy in the link. just for going on vacations and my MS Bike rides in the long run it would be cheaper then hotels.

wallrat

Jan 13, 2010, 6:19 AM
Post #63 of 82 (3417 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbingKarma] living out of a van? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One thing about being on the road and living in the van...we got to climb hundreds, maybe thousands of routes in lots of places that you guys dissing the lifestyle won't have a chance to do. For me it was one of the best choices I ever made in life. My first year began with five months in JTree, and three in Yosemite. Climbing at least five days a week. That beat working 9-5 all to Hell and back.

reno

Jan 13, 2010, 7:10 AM
Post #64 of 82 (3404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wallrat wrote:
One thing about being on the road and living in the van...we got to climb hundreds, maybe thousands of routes in lots of places that you guys dissing the lifestyle won't have a chance to do.

Yeah, well the rest of us get to bathe on a regular basis, so it's a stalemate.

dingus

Jan 13, 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #65 of 82 (3384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wallrat wrote:
One thing about being on the road and living in the van...we got to climb hundreds, maybe thousands of routes in lots of places that you guys dissing the lifestyle won't have a chance to do. For me it was one of the best choices I ever made in life. My first year began with five months in JTree, and three in Yosemite. Climbing at least five days a week. That beat working 9-5 all to Hell and back.

Awesome! I admire those who shift life into gear and pursue their dreams with eyes wide open!

DMT

jjanowia

Jan 13, 2010, 3:22 PM
Post #66 of 82 (3345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Attachments: matt-foley.jpg (47.3 KB)

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 13, 2010, 3:38 PM
Post #67 of 82 (3338 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] living out of a van? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
wallrat wrote:
One thing about being on the road and living in the van...we got to climb hundreds, maybe thousands of routes in lots of places that you guys dissing the lifestyle won't have a chance to do.

I have proof that bathing is overated. When I was at the cabin this fall, my last shower was 9/28 at the Yosemite Facelift. Between then and my return to NYC on 11/22 - I had no shower, 2 spongebaths/2 hair washings.

Yet everyone insisted that, not only did I NOT stink, but that I smelled good and looked like I had just showered.

Now it's true I am not a sweaty man with hair growing out of unfeminine places, but...I did not bathe, and I stinked not!

wallrat

Jan 13, 2010, 9:18 PM
Post #68 of 82 (3297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] living out of a van? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
wallrat wrote:

WELL, Mr. Reno...I'll have you know I took a bath once a month. Whether I needed it or not. Really, there's always a place to get clean. In JTree, public showers. At the campground, the solar shower. In the Valley, the Curry showers. One can bathe daily...should you choose to be sooo extreme.

sspssp

Jan 13, 2010, 9:22 PM
Post #69 of 82 (3287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] living out of a van? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
reno wrote:
wallrat wrote:

I have proof that bathing is overated. When I was at the cabin this fall, my last shower was 9/28 at the Yosemite Facelift. Between then and my return to NYC on 11/22 - I had no shower, 2 spongebaths/2 hair washings.

Yet everyone insisted that, not only did I NOT stink, but that I smelled good and looked like I had just showered.

Now it's true I am not a sweaty man with hair growing out of unfeminine places, but...I did not bathe, and I stinked not!

And would these people that insisted that you didn't stink also be people that had not showered for two months? (Not to mention guys that may ulterior motives?)

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 13, 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #70 of 82 (3272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] living out of a van? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Most were my regular everyday friends and the rangers. One girl said "No, you don't stink at all. And don't take this a weird way, but you kind of smell really good. Like, the woods."

A ranger said "Don't worry Terrie; if you stunk, you're friends would be giving you SUCH shit."

guangzhou

Jan 14, 2010, 12:35 AM
Post #71 of 82 (3240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wallrat wrote:

I don't agree with this statement. First, I did the extended road trip a couple of times. Once for six month, once for a year and a half. Sure, I could climb everyday, but I didn't. Often, i had no partner off to climb. I had a soloist and that helped.

As for climbing thousands of routes and tons of locations. I've climbed most major climbing areas in the U.S. and more than my fare-share of not major areas. Shoot with a real job, I even started climbing areas out of the country.

Last year, I climbed over 1000 routes. I also put up about 150 first ascents.

Climbed in California, Colorado, Indonesia, Hong Kong, and Malaysia. Guess having a real job doesn't impact my climbing to much, except that I can afford airfare.

Me, I earn a full-time salary, climbed 150 days last year in six countries and three states. I have comfortable house, a wife, and two dogs. I get more climbing done now that I have a real job then I ever did living on the road. I also travel more. (Shoot, I live overseas for that matter)

Of course, I need more than climbing in my life. Something I decided long ago. (well ten years ago). I like to travel, I enjoy being able to watch a movie without skipping a meal, rental a cabin for two months to climb the area, and I love my job.

(This post was edited by guangzhou on Jan 14, 2010, 12:39 AM)

wallrat

Jan 14, 2010, 12:38 AM
Post #72 of 82 (3237 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] living out of a van? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
wallrat wrote:

I don't agree with this statement. First, I did the extended road trip a couple of times. Once for six month, once for a year and a half. Sure, I could climb everyday, but I didn't. Often, i had no partner off to climb. I had a soloist and that helped.

As for climbing thousands of routes and tons of locations. I've climbed most major climbing areas in the U.S. and more than my fare-share of not major areas. Shoot with a real job, I even started climbing areas out of the country.

Me, I earn a full-time salary, climbed 150 days last year in six countries and three states. I have comfortable house, a wife, and two dogs. I get more climbing done now that I have a real job then I ever did living on the road. I also travel more. (Shoot, I live overseas for that matter)

Of course, I need more than climbing in my life. Something I decided long ago. (well ten years ago). I like to travel, I enjoy being able to watch a movie without skipping a meal, rental a cabin for two months to climb the area, and I love my job.

YOu're a blessed man, and obviously living life the way it ought to be lived.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 14, 2010, 1:49 AM
Post #73 of 82 (3221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Or else he's a guide, glossing over the tidbit that the 150 daze climbing involves....

(Just kidding guangzhou - you always have a positive attitude; obvious that you have a happy life!)

tradrenn

Jan 14, 2010, 2:07 AM
Post #74 of 82 (3203 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] living out of a van? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
reno wrote:
wallrat wrote:

I can still remember 2 weeks with you in Jtree, we didn't stink. I don't think it would be so easy on east coast.

V.

tradrenn

Jan 14, 2010, 2:10 AM
Post #75 of 82 (3200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] living out of a van? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:

I disagree.

Internet is a global library with unlimited knowledge, if you know how to find it. RC.com is in that library.

V.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook