Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

soroche

Dec 8, 2009, 10:46 AM
Post #1 of 48 (3991 views)
Shortcut

Great British Gear ...or what?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How do you rate British outdoors gear?

In the last few years I've spent a lot of time out of the country, I recently realized I was wearing very different gear to other people (other nationalities) in the mountains.

By pure chance I realized I am using lots British kit, well stuff designed here by British companies (probably made in China) and it's great stuff. (RAB, Wild Country, POD, Terra Nova, Innov8, Montane, DMM, Buffalo, AlpKIT)

Could the outdoors industry here be something to be proud of? How many of you use British kit and how do you rate it? Also when I have had problems in the past (a leaky RAB Latok Alpine) customer service was amazing but when I have had problems with TNF equipment (ALL the zips failed on my tent while on an expedition in the Andes) they didn’t want to know, hence I just don’t buy TNF anymore.

So I guess my question is: While we are out enjoying the British mountains should we consciously support the British outdoors equipment industry, after all many of the companies were started up by climbers themselves?

rich

johnwesely

Dec 8, 2009, 1:19 PM
Post #2 of 48 (3950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [soroche] Great British Gear ...or what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

The North Face Stuff is way cooler than any of that. I can't go out in public, even in the summer, without my Denali jacket. Everyone in my fraternity has one. They are that awesome.

yodadave

Dec 8, 2009, 1:30 PM
Post #3 of 48 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm Brit/Irish but living in the US. Its been great for me seeing the influx of Brit gear in the last 5 years. Rab and Berghaus aswell as others. I think British gear is definitely worthy. For me it comes down to who stitches it as i really am not ok with cheaper prices if it means sweatshop labour. I also like to think of the carbon footprint of what i wear.

TheRucat

Dec 8, 2009, 2:39 PM
Post #4 of 48 (3897 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yodadave] Great British Gear ...or what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

yodadave wrote:
I also like to think of the carbon footprint of what i wear.

I'm gonna start wearing boots with soles made of pure carbon, so I can literally make my own carbon foot print..

johnwesely

Dec 8, 2009, 3:34 PM
Post #5 of 48 (3861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

yodadave wrote:
I'm Brit/Irish but living in the US. Its been great for me seeing the influx of Brit gear in the last 5 years. Rab and Berghaus aswell as others. I think British gear is definitely worthy. For me it comes down to who stitches it as i really am not ok with cheaper prices if it means sweatshop labour. I also like to think of the carbon footprint of what i wear.

I am pretty sure that the carbon footprint of the few pieces of climbing wear I have, even if they were shipped around the world eight times and bathed in CFCs, pales in comparison to the carbon footprint I generate driving 200 to 400 miles a weekend to go rock climbing.

yodadave

Dec 8, 2009, 11:29 PM
Post #6 of 48 (3779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Great British Gear ...or what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
yodadave wrote:

I am pretty sure that the carbon footprint of the few pieces of climbing wear I have, even if they were shipped around the world eight times and bathed in CFCs, pales in comparison to the carbon footprint I generate driving 200 to 400 miles a weekend to go rock climbing.

find a local crag or move Crazy

shimanilami

Dec 8, 2009, 11:44 PM
Post #7 of 48 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

I tend to avoid British climbing equipment because, generally speaking, the English are relative newcomers when it comes to climbing. Further, there is nothing decent to climb in England, so there is no way for the English to know what makes for decent climbing gear.

johnwesely

Dec 8, 2009, 11:52 PM
Post #8 of 48 (3763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

yodadave wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
yodadave wrote:

find a local crag or move Crazy

Impractical.

smallclimber

Dec 10, 2009, 8:04 PM
Post #9 of 48 (3638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a great item of british clothing - Ron Hill Tracksters. These are tight, stretchy, not very flatering, polyester pants and are the subject of great derision on UK climbing sites. Despite that they are remarkably practical for climbing and winter activities so long as you don't mind looking silly!

Alpine07

Dec 10, 2009, 9:27 PM
Post #10 of 48 (3574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TheRucat] Great British Gear ...or what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TheRucat wrote:
yodadave wrote:

I'm gonna start wearing boots with soles made of pure carbon, so I can literally make my own carbon foot print..

Hahahaha. How did that get such a low rating? I'd say thats almost signature worthy...

billcoe_

Dec 10, 2009, 9:31 PM
Post #11 of 48 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Great British Gear ...or what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
I tend to avoid British climbing equipment because, generally speaking, the English are relative newcomers when it comes to climbing. Further, there is nothing decent to climb in England, so there is no way for the English to know what makes for decent climbing gear.

LOL I think Joe Brown and Don Willians are lining up to come kick some ass as we speak...

TheRucat

Dec 12, 2009, 11:45 PM
Post #12 of 48 (3470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Alpine07] Great British Gear ...or what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alpine07 wrote:
TheRucat wrote:
yodadave wrote:

Hahahaha. How did that get such a low rating? I'd say thats almost signature worthy...

I was wondering that my self, I suppose some people find it offensive when you turn their genuine concerns into a joke.

mountainsheep

Dec 13, 2009, 2:38 PM
Post #13 of 48 (3415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:

I'm now assuming that you have never been to the UK as if you had you would know that the UK has some of the best climbing in the world. Not only does it have amazing climbing but also some of the most demanding weather conditions anywhere.
Now on to the gear DMM based in Wales is making some of the lightest and best hardware on the market from super light (26g) krabs, to technical ice tools plus they they make the reverso 3 for petzl. Rab and Mountain Equipment also make the best clothing that I ave found anywhere in the world. I do not count TNF as an outdoor company as most of their clothing is crap for technical mountaineering and climbing.

nika

Dec 13, 2009, 3:23 PM
Post #14 of 48 (3402 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mountainsheep] Great British Gear ...or what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, with respect to British climbing you're both being a little overdramatic. The climbing in England proper is certainly ... unique. Once you expand the discussion to the whole UK you get a wider variety of things, but I'm not sure that "best climbing in the world" is accurate either. You opinions may vary, of course, depending on what you're calling "climbing." Winter? Sport? You get the idea.

With respect to English-as-relative-newcomers, that's totally crazy unless you are specifically talking about the realm of sport climbing. Technical mountaineering, winter climbing, cragging, hard/headpointed trad, and even bouldering: the Brits were early pioneers in all of them.

With respect to the original question, I may not be the best sample because I primarily do cragging (and predominantly sport), so the only two brands that I know of outside the UK are DMM and Wild Country, both of which seem to have generally good reputations although their cams are generally not as popular as BD ones over here. When I lived in England for two years, I also became aware of Rab, Pod, and AlpKit. Like I said, I think if I did more mountaineering I'd probably have a better sense of more of the brands you listed.

limeydave

Dec 13, 2009, 5:35 PM
Post #15 of 48 (3374 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nika] Great British Gear ...or what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

British Gear never killed me.

Ron Hill Tracksters! ha! they still make those? I used to run in them in winter when I was a whipper-snapper.

Nice to see the irony/sarcasm filter is still enabled for some users...

mountainsheep

Dec 13, 2009, 6:12 PM
Post #16 of 48 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nika] Great British Gear ...or what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fair enough maybe not the best in the world but I recon there are still some pretty awesome crags eg. stanage, plus there's plenty to do up in Scotland if you like winter climbing

hansundfritz

Dec 14, 2009, 2:48 PM
Post #17 of 48 (3292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got piles of British stuff -- mostly older (80s/90s). I really like the basic Gore-Tex shells that Berghaus used to make. Been through a few of those. My old Pea-Pod tent was great in horizontal rain and driving snow conditions in Scotland. Too stuffy for summer use here in the states. Conversely, spent the wettest night of my life in a NorthFace tent in a fairly tame rainstorm on Skye. The fly didn't really cover the inner well enough in the windy conditions.

Still love my 70L Berghaus Roc. Huge pack. Crude but comfortable. Switched over to more modern stuff lately for smaller packs. And I still like British gaiters over US ones for ordinary hiking. I've trashed a few pairs by Karrimor.

dingus

Dec 14, 2009, 2:53 PM
Post #18 of 48 (3290 views)
Shortcut

Re: Great British Gear ...or what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wait... there's ROCK CLIMBING???

In ENGLAND??????!!!!!111111

You don't SAY!!!???222

(yall just been shimmed hehe)

DMT

Travis_22

Dec 15, 2009, 4:37 AM
Post #19 of 48 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have about 14 DMM biners. Love all of them. They make my BD biners look sad... About even with petzl biners, which I also love. I also have a dmm atc, feeds nicely when not loaded nicely, not so much when weighted...

Kyle10376

Dec 24, 2009, 9:47 PM
Post #20 of 48 (3053 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ARE YOU AN IDIOT???? do you know any history of rock climbing??? Look up where hexes and nuts were created. Look up the first person to send Everest.

Second most English equipment is pretty legit, ever hear of off set nuts? DMM is the only company that makes them. The DMM fantoms are the lightest draws in the industry.

Third, if you have any balls at all, go trad climb in the roaches or gogarth, youll probably pee your pants. SOOOOOO, next time you plan on posting something, know what you're talking about.

moose_droppings

Dec 24, 2009, 11:32 PM
Post #21 of 48 (3032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kyle10376] Great British Gear ...or what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kyle10376 wrote:
ARE YOU AN IDIOT???? do you know any history of rock climbing??? Look up where hexes and nuts were created. Look up the first person to send Everest.

Second most English equipment is pretty legit, ever hear of off set nuts? DMM is the only company that makes them. The DMM fantoms are the lightest draws in the industry.

Third, if you have any balls at all, go trad climb in the roaches or gogarth, youll probably pee your pants. SOOOOOO, next time you plan on posting something, know what you're talking about.

Look up 'sarcasm' when you get a chance.

Kyle10376

Dec 27, 2009, 2:37 AM
Post #22 of 48 (2953 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Great British Gear ...or what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, well in THAT case i guess you're just super duper smart then. (sarcasm). See YOU CAN'T USE SARCASM ON A FORUM. You're still an idiot.

moose_droppings

Dec 27, 2009, 4:03 AM
Post #23 of 48 (2935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Honest is in the dictionary too.
I see that's optional for you in a forum though.

johnwesely

Dec 27, 2009, 5:38 AM
Post #24 of 48 (2913 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kyle10376 wrote:
Oh, well in THAT case i guess you're just super duper smart then. (sarcasm). See YOU CAN'T USE SARCASM ON A FORUM. You're still an idiot.

O RLY? I NEVER use sarcasm on a forum.

uni_jim

Dec 27, 2009, 7:09 AM
Post #25 of 48 (2901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Great British Gear ...or what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sarcasm is the devils language.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook