RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

climberslacker

Dec 27, 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2357 views)
Shortcut

Renting Ledges?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys,

I want to get in to big wall climbing, and want to see if I would like it. So I was planning on turning a 5 pitch climb near my house into a 2 day climb, just to try it out, and see if I like it. Is there anyone who rents ledges? Sorry Im such a newb, and will probably kill myself, but I can't find anyone who big wall climbs, so i don't really have anyone to teach me.

Thanks!

-CS

Partner xtrmecat

Dec 27, 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2344 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climberslacker] Renting Ledges? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fix and blast would be the name of the routine for a 5 pitch route. Two ropes and fix as high as you can, then blast the first thing AM the next morning. Three ropes lets you fix minimum of three pitches, and in the AM drop the bottom rope when going up and have a friend take it home for you.

The solution you specifically asked for is here, but I do not know if they ship to you out of Yosemite.

http://home.inreach.com/yorock1/

Same here,

http://www.yosemitebigwallrentals.com/

If you want to bivy on the rock just to see what living in the vertical is like, try bivying on a natural ledge, bring some vino, food, good pad and bag, tunes, camera, and make a nice weekend trip out of a long day climb. Make sure the following parties aren't being held up though. Poor form, pack it in and pack it out too.

Enjoy,

Bob

Fly out this way or meet me at a destination of my choosing, and I'll even install the ledge for ya. On your nickel of course.

vinnie83

Dec 27, 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climberslacker] Renting Ledges? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Based on your profile you'll probably be spending a significant amount of time aid climbing on any wall you attempt. Find or make yourself a pair of aiders and practice on a free climb that doesn't see much traffic and you'll probably get a better feel for what bigwall climbing is like minus the hauling. There really is a lot more to big wall climbing than sleeping on a ledge.

rschap

Dec 28, 2009, 12:44 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vinnie83] Renting Ledges? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am currently training to climb Elcap in May and I can say sleeping in a porta-ledge is the least of my worries. But that’s not the question you asked and rather then make assumptions about what your intentions are I’ll say this: one thing you can do is buy a decent cot and modify it to work as a ledge. You’ll spend $80-$150 depending on how crazy you get but if you’re just going to use it once or twice to get a feel for it then at least you have a cot you can use for camping later. I did that for a Half Dome trip that fell through and now I have a cot for when I go kayaking or kraging overnight. I used this cot http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___41227 though I got it cheaper than that.

Oh, and another thing, use your head, if you’re not handy don’t do it, and like you would in a commercial ledge always ware you’re harness and stay anchored in.

(This post was edited by rschap on Dec 28, 2009, 12:45 AM)

rschap

Dec 28, 2009, 1:00 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rschap] Renting Ledges? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is how crazy I went but I'm a welder and have access to all the right tools.

Attachments: IMG_3941.jpg (18.5 KB)
  IMG_3942.jpg (15.6 KB)
  IMG_3943.jpg (17.2 KB)
  IMG_3940.jpg (18.8 KB)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook