RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

go_dyno

Dec 28, 2009, 6:29 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Bod??????
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm an ice climber. I have a buddy from China who is an alpinist. He is an endurance athlete and has climbed everything from Denali, Ranier, Whitaker to several peaks in the Himalayas & South America that are prestigious, but we are in Ouray and I have discovered that (believe it or not) he has never had any rope experience. I had to teach him how to "tie in" to a rope and how to belay!Crazy Friggin crazy!!!!!!

His harness is a minimalist alpine bod that is way too big for him.

Not knowing why you would want a "BOD" harness. Do I look for a Bod harness that is better fitting and more versatile, or do I find a Bod harness that fits him and convince him to get both a Bod & a ICE harness or do I convince him to get a good ice harness & tell him to use it for both ice & alpinism ????

Personally I think if I was doing Alpinism I would want a harness that had a full strength haul loop and was adjustable for different clothing, i.e. two buckles in front and belay loop & full strength haul loop with gear loops, buuuuuuuut I'm not a minimalist alpinist and don't know the latest gear philosophy for that. I do know that I need to get him up to snuff on fundamental rope skills and self rescue and crevasse rescue and a wee bod harness doesn't seem to be enough. Help me save his skinny China ass! Thanks!

(This post was edited by go_dyno on Dec 28, 2009, 6:30 AM)

uni_jim

Dec 28, 2009, 6:43 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2560 views)
Shortcut

Re: [go_dyno] Bod?????? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A better fitting alpine bod harness would do, but if it were me, I would look to a more "complete" alpine/ice harness. If the type of alpinism your friend has been doing has not requied him to tie in or belay, I doubt he will require a full strength haul loop.

Look at harnesses like these: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/...limb/harnesses/xenos

http://www.petzl.com/...ing-harnesses/adjama

http://www.mec.ca/...;bmUID=1261982461273

http://www.mec.ca/...;bmUID=1261982565958

uni_jim

Dec 28, 2009, 6:48 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2558 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uni_jim] Bod?????? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a fan of petzl harnesses, I have a SAMA, and wear it for everything (rock, ice, alpine, gym, whatever), but if I thouht I REALLY needed adjustable leg loops, I would get the ADJAMA from petzl. I Like the fixed leg loops though, I just have to put my harness on before my crampons, not a big deal to me.

cantbuymefriends

Dec 28, 2009, 10:35 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's the problem with the Bod?
I have a Regular (not the Alpine) Bod that I use for ice, and the little alpine climbing that I do, and i think it's awesome. When you have to adjust your clothing for anything between maybe -20C to +10C, I find that other harnesses with "regular" adjustable leg loops just don't cut it.

Just my 2 cents.

FWIW, my Bod is the pre-belay-loop model, with 4 gear loops and fleece-padded belt.

lumineferusother

Dec 28, 2009, 3:19 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2446 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While you're at it, have him invest in some basic Alpine/rock climbing classes. It's not only sad, it's outright dangerous and rather stupid to be not able to do something as simple as tying into a harness....

midwestpaul

Dec 28, 2009, 6:44 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The advantage of a bod harness is that it fits well underneath a hip belt and packs small. It is more appropriate for less technical glacier routes where the rope is mostly used for crevasse safety and simulclimbing, than high-angle, technical alpine routes where you would want belay/haul loops, etc.

That said, I've seen people use bod harnesses for all types of climbing. As long as he won't pop out of it if he flips upside down he is probably good to go. Also, you need to make sure is he belaying off the loop that says "belay here" or if the harness doesn't have one of those, that the belay locker is clipped through the waist and the leg loops and NOT clipped to the tie-in loop on the rope which could unravel the figure-eight in a high-load (lead fall) situation.

kheegster

Dec 28, 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I am looking for a harness for alpine/ice, the main factors are:

- lightweight
- packable
- releasable leg loops (front AND back)
- fits under backpack

Other factors that one would look for in a normal harness that aren't so important for an alpine harness:
- comfort: clothing will provide padding, and anyway one shouldn't hangdog or take big whippers on ice
- number of gear loops: I attach ice clippers to rack screws, so I only need 2 gear loops.

I current use a Mammut Alpine Light harness that fit all the criteria above. I was also considering the Arc'teryx A300a, but this is considerably more expensive.

tomcat

Dec 29, 2009, 12:38 AM
Post #8 of 9 (2321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kheegster] Bod?????? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used BODs a lot.The advantage is the leg loops drop out,so if you put your crampons on first for some easy ground,or want to drop the harness,but not the poons,you can.They work just fine.

go_dyno

Jan 2, 2010, 9:58 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomcat] Bod?????? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook