RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

BenKenobi

Dec 30, 2009, 3:54 PM
Post #1 of 15 (8984 views)
Shortcut

Buying a dSLR on Ebay
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm wondering if anyone here has any thoughts/experience about buying an slr on ebay. Basically whether you feel it's reliable, a good deal, etc.

For example, one of the items I'm looking at is a Canon 40D. Some of the prices are super low, and there's a 'buy it now' option on one of them (body AND lens) for $750. That almost seems too good to be true, even with a low-end lens.

Also, feel free to throw out any suggestions for which camera to buy. I've kind of narrowed it down to Canon or Nikon, and I have my sights set on the Canon 40D, or possibly the Nikon D5000. (Wondering what the Nikon equivalent to a Canon 40D would be too.)

Thanks.

Gmburns2000

Dec 30, 2009, 4:25 PM
Post #2 of 15 (8972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BenKenobi] Buying a dSLR on Ebay [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bump 'cause I'm interested, too.

ts83

Dec 30, 2009, 5:07 PM
Post #3 of 15 (8956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

My roommate is a photographer, and he's purchased a body off ebay before, with good results. That said, I wouldn't be too excited about a 40D for $750. You can get a brand new T1i with a kit lens, for the same price at any camera shop, big box retailer, etc. That camera has the 50D's sensor, plus the ability to shoot video.

Not to say that the 40D's not a badass camera, just be aware that as technology marches on, yesterday's top-'o-the-line becomes budget gear, and even if you find a great deal for half off the original purchase price, it may not compare to the newest technological generation's offerings at a given price point.

And now I'm done with not answering your question. Cheers!

dlintz

Dec 30, 2009, 7:14 PM
Post #4 of 15 (8924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

$750 for a 40D + kit lens isn't a bad price but you could easily do better if you keep looking.

As for ebay...it all depends on the seller's reputation. Check the feedback for their prior transactions. Personally I wouldn't buy anything off ebay if the seller didn't have at least 25 transactions and 100% rating.

d.

pseudolith

Dec 31, 2009, 3:51 PM
Post #5 of 15 (8878 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] Buying a dSLR on Ebay [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Instead of Ebay, you might want to check out the buy/sell forums on www.fredmiranda.com. I've bought several lenses and recently a 40d body from some of the folks on that forum.

pseudolith

Dec 31, 2009, 4:13 PM
Post #6 of 15 (8869 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] Buying a dSLR on Ebay [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep. I just checked the forums on fredmiranda, and you can get a 40d body from a couple of people there right now for $575 - $600.

And one guy is selling a 30D with a lens for under $400.

photoguy190

Dec 31, 2009, 4:46 PM
Post #7 of 15 (8856 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pseudolith] Buying a dSLR on Ebay [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would defiantly look at the feed back, a lot of the time ebay sellers sell gray market cameras, from China. Most cameras, probably all, are made over seas gray market cameras were meant to sell over seas. They might have different language one them, you can set english on the software but the information on the body might be in another language, like Chinese symbols. This can be really annoying its just one thing to think of when buying off ebay, or even the big photo shops, I would recommend looking at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ they have always been really good to me.

lvpyne

Dec 31, 2009, 5:57 PM
Post #8 of 15 (8843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a pretty good experience buying my Nikon D70 off eBay a couple of years ago. Pretty much the same advice that you've seen in this thread (checkout seller's feedback, be a savvy eBayer, etc.)

One of the things that I looked for was to see an individual selling a camera, instead of the "somewhat fishy "great deal" from a business" -- but I can see people wanting to buy from a business rather than an individual. I found a wedding photographer who was upgrading his camera, checked out his portfolio (i.e. to see that this was an actual photographer), and bought the camera. It was, perhaps, the most meticulously well taken care of camera I have ever seen and I've been totally happy with the purchase.

So, yes, you can have a good experience buying a dSLR on eBay, but it might take some time to find what you're looking for.

majid_sabet

Dec 31, 2009, 6:03 PM
Post #9 of 15 (8842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BenKenobi wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone here has any thoughts/experience about buying an slr on ebay. Basically whether you feel it's reliable, a good deal, etc.

For example, one of the items I'm looking at is a Canon 40D. Some of the prices are super low, and there's a 'buy it now' option on one of them (body AND lens) for $750. That almost seems too good to be true, even with a low-end lens.

Also, feel free to throw out any suggestions for which camera to buy. I've kind of narrowed it down to Canon or Nikon, and I have my sights set on the Canon 40D, or possibly the Nikon D5000. (Wondering what the Nikon equivalent to a Canon 40D would be too.)

Thanks.

I got canon DSLR off ebay but from a person new in box and not a company. stay away from those who give you mega deals then they want you to call them up . Mostly, they are scamers off New york who sell you a package but then they tell you that the camera you got comes with Japanese menu. if you want English you got to pay $150 more or add this BS or that to take more money.

Also, watch out for those sellers with low feedback especially low sales feedback. when you pay, make sure you pay with paypal but try not to have any cash your paypal. Select credit card as payment instead of bank account cause if they do you, you can always do reverse payment via credit card. if you pay with cash off paypal or off your bank account, you are SOL.

milesenoell

Dec 31, 2009, 7:22 PM
Post #10 of 15 (8830 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Buying a dSLR on Ebay [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
when you pay, make sure you pay with paypal but try not to have any cash your paypal. Select credit card as payment instead of bank account cause if they do you, you can always do reverse payment via credit card. if you pay with cash off paypal or off your bank account, you are SOL.

Good point majid. It sounds like the savvy of the once burned.

uptick

Jan 3, 2010, 5:41 PM
Post #11 of 15 (8765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I purchased a D70s years ago off eBay. I checked out the seller and she was a portrait photographer. Camera was spotless. I even contacted the seller via email then was able to talk to her. She sent additional photo's, etc. on the camera and felt very comfortable going through with the purchase. Camera was flawless.
My second DSLR I picked up as a refurb unit from Adorama. Saved hundreds of $ plus had Adorama standing behind it...as well as Nikon.
My D300 purchase came from a Nikon forum. Was some guys back-up camera and he was going to a D700. This was not an auction but the guy was a tech geek and this camera was in excellent condition.
One thing to check out on eBay is they have Buyers Protection. Follow the simple rules via PayPal and you are covered. I bought a mountain bike from some jerkoff and the guy didn't deliver. A month later it still wasn't in my possession. Filed a complaint to PayPal and apparently they were going to stick it to him because it sure lit a fire under his ass to close the deal.

kennoyce

Feb 18, 2010, 6:16 PM
Post #12 of 15 (8367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know your post is a month and a half old, so you probably have already purchased your camera, but in case anyone else has a similar question I figured I'd post up.

I got my first DSLR on Ebay and had a great experience. I prefer buying things from individuals rather than companies when I buy stuff on ebay so that is what I did (I feel like you can get a more honest and personal opinion about the condition of the item this way). As has been said, you do need to be careful, but through feedback and common sense, you can usually judge weather a seller is reputable or not.

As far as your other question, that about what camera, I'm a nikon guy, but I have shot cannons occasionally. As far as the price, as has been stated, you can probably find a better price on a 40D. Someone mentioned a 500D earlier, but there is no way I would get a 500D over a 40D based on ergonomics, and the basic feel of the quality. The 40D is certainly a big step up from the 500D even if the features of the 500D seem better.

As far as Nikon equivalents. I would consider the D80 to be the 40D equivalent, and the D90 to be the 50D equivalent. As far as a more entry level Nikon a D5000 is very similar to the D90, but lacks the autofocus motor, and the high resolution screen. In the case of the Nikons, I wouldn't hesitate to get a D5000 even though it is more of an entry level camera because it feels so much nicer than any Rebel ever has or will. The D5000 still won't feel as comfortable as a 40 or 50D or a D80 or 90 though.

If you haven't already purchased a camera, I hope this helps, If you already have, hopefully someone else will find this info useful.

tradmanclimbs

Mar 7, 2010, 10:47 AM
Post #13 of 15 (8163 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Buying a dSLR on Ebay [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dont do it! you might end up buying a camera from someone like me and it might alreadey have 249K shutter releases. try www.keh.com for used or B&H for new..

qtm

Mar 9, 2010, 2:54 PM
Post #14 of 15 (8105 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradmanclimbs] Buying a dSLR on Ebay [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't buy anything more than $100 on ebay, that's about the most I'm willing to risk.

I second B&H. Been going there for a few years now for random things, picked two cameras and an TV there in the past couple of years. Bit overwhelming the first time you walk in, but great service and reasonable prices.

photoguy190

Mar 9, 2010, 3:35 PM
Post #15 of 15 (8090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtm] Buying a dSLR on Ebay [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Go with B&H no risk like ebay, and stay away from used anything unless you can hold it and see the pictures it takes, I have seen mint condition cameras that have messed up electronics or scratched image sensors.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook