RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

punk_rocker333

Jan 12, 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #1 of 8 (5166 views)
Shortcut

BD Rage leashless mod?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Have any BD Rage owners out there modified their tools for leashless? How did you do it? It would be nice to have a more substantial pinky catch and a mid shaft spike for matching on. BD doesn't make any attachments and I am not sure if the Grivel ones (slider/trigger) will fit.

the_climber

Jan 12, 2010, 11:17 PM
Post #2 of 8 (5158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [punk_rocker333] BD Rage leashless mod? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lots of people have modified the BD fang to fit the rage tools (or fab'd up their own solution).

That said, the best mod for a set of BD Rage's is to trade them in for something different better. I understand begger's can't be chooser's, but there are much better tools out there for the price. Not trashing your gear, having climbed on the Rage's quite a bit... just my $0.02

(This post was edited by the_climber on Jan 12, 2010, 11:18 PM)

punk_rocker333

Jan 12, 2010, 11:30 PM
Post #3 of 8 (5141 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] BD Rage leashless mod? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, I actually just bought them for pretty cheap. Not looking to break the bank, but just tried leashless climbing and had a fun time with it. Do you know any web pages that showed how people modified the fang to fit the rage? I found some of brent_e's pics of his mods but those are way beyond my meager abilities.

chossmonkey

Jan 13, 2010, 1:17 AM
Post #4 of 8 (5110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cut, file and screw some of these on.

Its a rope thimble.

Partner neuroshock

Jan 13, 2010, 7:42 AM
Post #5 of 8 (5068 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] BD Rage leashless mod? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah. That's what you were writing about....

I'm in the same boat. I have the newer Vipers, which I love, but I also have my old Rage tools. It would be a shame, when climbing with friends, to not take advantage of having another set of tools available (even if they aren't "as modern")

Would the pre-'07 Strike not work? I thought that it was a bump held on by a glorified hose clamp. I'd imagine that a clamp tightened down enough on the rubber grip of the Rage would stay in place.

punk_rocker333

Jan 13, 2010, 4:53 PM
Post #6 of 8 (5031 views)
Shortcut

Re: [neuroshock] BD Rage leashless mod? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Neuroshock, I emailed BD and they said they didn't have any parts that would fit the Rages without modification, but they would say that because they want to sell you the latest and most expensive. But, I found this mod of the Rages on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...?hash=item439ca69de0

Some pics:

He's using Grivel horns but has somehow removed the pinky shelf that comes stock on these tools. I asked him some questions and I will post his response here if he gets back to me.

Partner neuroshock

Jan 13, 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #7 of 8 (5000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice find!

I went to Grivel's website and looked at the product insert for the Horn.

Product insert (emphasis mine) wrote:
The Horn can be fitted on all Grivel ice axes, even on the earlier models that have a spike with a clip hole. The two cylinder shape protrusions surrounding the lower bolt must fit into the spike's hole, guaranteeing proper resistance. In models such as the Machine that already have a small hand support this support will have to be cut away before fitting the Horn.

Ideas on how might I go about cutting away the small rest? Angle grinder?

I'd be up for chossmonkey's rope thimble idea, too. I just don't know how I'd go about attaching it to the shaft in a removable and slick way.

I was hoping that there would exist a bump that attaches much like a hose clamp but with the screw portion embedded in the bump itself. Maybe I'll try making one out of polyurethane resin with an embedded washer.

-Mike

punk_rocker333

Jan 14, 2010, 5:01 PM
Post #8 of 8 (4966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [neuroshock] BD Rage leashless mod? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's what the seller on Ebay had to say:

Hey, yea these tools are great for modifying.. I don't remember exactly what needed to be done to remove the pinky shelf but good old man-handlin should do the trick! I do remember having to modify the shaft spike at the bottom to fit the horns on and to make leashless easier i put a horn where the pinky shelf was. oh, there also is two different sizes of shaft diameters to choose fron on that middle horn and if you go where the grip is use the smaller one (does require strong persuasion) and if you choose to go higher up use the bigger one. hope this helps! For some double spring advice check out alpinedave.com.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook