Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 14, 2010, 7:00 PM
Post #26 of 63 (1778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] The ultimate gear list. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just have my stuff always packed, pretty much....

- Harness has belay device, nut tool, prussiks, chalk bag always on it
- B/pack has harness, shoes, headlamp, guide books always in it
- Rack is stored on a gear sling, and slings/biners are all a sling
- For travel, my rolling duffel is always packed with: crazy creek pad, stove, sleeping pad, tent, sleeping bag, pots, kitchen utensils, pee bottle, extra headlight, kitchen pack(sugar, salt, pepper, sauce mixes, stuff like that).

The only time anything gets screwed up is if I unpack or store one of the items in the wrong spot....

qtm

Jan 14, 2010, 7:04 PM
Post #27 of 63 (1774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] The ultimate gear list. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As Aric mentioned, TP. And a ziplock bag to carry out the TP (and fem. hygiene products). And another to carry out cig butts that you find lying around. Both of these in a large ziplock so it's all double bagged to reduce the stink. A trash bag to carry out any other trash.

Duct tape- 2' or so rolled up in a plastic bag so it's relatively clean, kept in the first aid kit. More taped around water bottle or other hard objects for general repair.

Check the "super" glue, some are toxic. I use "skin glue" for minor cuts and scraps as it has a mild anesthetic (but stings like a b*tch when first applied).

Small pocket knife *without* scissors. That you carry on you. Large safety scissors in the pack, much more useful in case you need to cut through clothing to expose a wound.

CPR mask and gloves.

Maxi pad, sterile and cheap, for wound dressing.

Band-aids (if you have kids). The ol' duct tape and gauze is fine for adults, but kids need the re-assurance of a real band-aid.

Aspirin and Advil (ibuprofen), they have different uses.

Epipen

Pencil and notepad. Useful for leaving messages on your car for friends arriving late, taking notes of routes, etc.

Jetboil, for hot drinks when it gets a little chilly. Hot cocoa for the kids.

Flint/steel striker, never know when you're gonna get stuck out overnight.

Guidebook

edited for clarity

(This post was edited by qtm on Jan 14, 2010, 7:09 PM)

Lazlo

Jan 14, 2010, 7:05 PM
Post #28 of 63 (1771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In all reality, I actually carry a small 6"x6" drybag with more of an 'emergency kit' in it rather than a first aid kit. In this kit, I carry;

Small paper back medical guide (Adventure Medical Kit's "A Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine")
Ample amount of toilet paper
compass (included is an inclinometer and signal mirror)
hand warmers
toe warmers
Petzl e-lite
Dermatone medicated spf 23 lip balm
neosporin
athletic tape
mole skin
gauze
finger bandages
3"x3" non stick pads
1/2" medical tape
sunscreen spf 45 (atleast two day's worth)
deet insect repellent
fire starter (dryer lint mixed with petroleum jelly)
two lighters

...and of course, items go in and out of it depending on the seasons.

(This post was edited by Lazlo on Jan 14, 2010, 7:24 PM)

adatesman

Jan 14, 2010, 7:08 PM
Post #29 of 63 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post

danull16

Jan 14, 2010, 7:19 PM
Post #30 of 63 (1750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
First off, first aid - what are the necessities?
Sport Climbing
-As above
-Stick clip
-List of excuses for having stick clip
-Draws
-Long draws
-Anchor draws (?)
-Projecting rope
-Sending rope
-Harness
-ATC
-Grigri
-Cinch
-Wind shirt/fleece
-Boom box
-hammock for when your buddy takes an afternoon to send a .10a

seatbeltpants

Jan 14, 2010, 7:22 PM
Post #31 of 63 (1741 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] The ultimate gear list. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Being a dork, I already have a gear list, complete with boxes for me tick tick each item off as I pack.

My wife laughs at me a lot Frown

But since I wrote this list I've never turned up without anything important!

Things to do:
□ Top up cell phone
□ Charge cell phone
□ Charge both sets of camera batteries
□ Charge iPod
□ Fill chalk bag
□ Check cooker gas level
□ Get cash
□ Cook some sausages

Climbing gear:
□ Rope(s), draws, and anchor
□ Rack
□ Harness, belay device, locking biner
□ Shoes
□ Chalkbag
□ Topo
□ Helmet
□ Any other gear off my other harness
□ Stick clip
□ Spanner
□ First aid kit
□ Bottles
□ Walky talkies and spare batteries
□ Sunscreen
□ Insect repellent
□ Summer hat / winter hat

Camping and clothes:
□ Tent
□ Sleeping mat
□ Sleeping bag
□ Cooker, pots, lighter, spork, cup
□ Heat pads
□ Head torch and spare batteries
□ Jacket / down jacket
□ Polyprops and gloves
□ Massage knob
□ Towel (and togs?)
□ Toiletries (tissues, anti-perspirant, Climb On, chapstick, ear plugs)
□ Contacts, glasses case, contact juice
□ Hipflask, beer?
□ Clothes
□ iPod
□ Book
□ Camera and spare batteries
□ Water?
□ Sandals

Last minute:
□ CDs in car
□ Drink and snacks in car
□ Cell phone in pocket
□ Take off watch and ring
□ Sunnies and hat
□ Toiletries

Hmmm, seems my handy tick boxes convert to "□". Sigh.

Steve

sungam

Jan 14, 2010, 7:47 PM
Post #32 of 63 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtm] The ultimate gear list. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

qtm wrote:
Check the "super" glue, some are toxic. I use "skin glue" for minor cuts and scraps as it has a mild anesthetic (but stings like a b*tch when first applied).

Small pocket knife *without* scissors. That you carry on you. Large safety scissors in the pack, much more useful in case you need to cut through clothing to expose a wound.

CPR mask and gloves.

Band-aids (if you have kids). The ol' duct tape and gauze is fine for adults, but kids need the re-assurance of a real band-aid.

Epipen

Pencil and notepad. Useful for leaving messages on your car for friends arriving late, taking notes of routes, etc.

Jetboil, for hot drinks when it gets a little chilly. Hot cocoa for the kids.y
Okay, yours kind of turned into a family camping list rather then a climbing list, but whatever. re: CPR mask and gloves, big scissors, epipen (unless someone I'm climbing with needs them) and maxipads - nope. If I'm cutting the handle off my toothbrush I'm not going to carry those. I'll put the rubber gloves on but the others kinda have no place in the alpine.
Then again, the "overnight" list may be used for car campers, I guess.

sungam

Jan 14, 2010, 7:48 PM
Post #33 of 63 (1719 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigjonnyc] The ultimate gear list. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bigjonnyc wrote:
Savlon is an antiseptic, whereas Neosporin is an antibiotic.
That would explain why we can't get it over here. To reduce the mutations of resistant bacteria, antibiotics are available on prescription plans only.

re: SAM splint. Maybe it's just me but first aid has never really included splinting broken arms or anything.

Witch Hazel is an astringent from the witch hazel plant. If you pop a blisters then rub witch hazel in it hurts like a motherf*cker for 5-10 minutes but leathers up so you can hike on with some zinc oxide tape over it.

QTM:
Okay, yours kind of turned into a family camping list rather then a climbing list, but whatever. re: CPR mask and gloves, big scissors, epipen (unless someone I'm climbing with needs them) and maxipads - nope. If I'm cutting the handle off my toothbrush I'm not going to carry those. I'll put the rubber gloves on but the others kinda have no place in the alpine.

Let's move on - can someone critique my sport/bouldering lists? Did I forget anything other then the weed?

Lazlo

Jan 14, 2010, 7:51 PM
Post #34 of 63 (1716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
qtm wrote:

CPR mask and gloves.

Epipen

Well, lets have a car camping section.

A lot of times, I have a tub of stuff that I'll just toss in the car. Cheap stove, extra fuel, car jacket, larger sleeping pad, bag of chips, ect ect.

I hate needing to tear apart my backpack unless I need to. Sooooo much easier just to bring car camping stuff and leave the backpack packed for the morning.

(This post was edited by Lazlo on Jan 14, 2010, 7:52 PM)

Lazlo

Jan 14, 2010, 7:55 PM
Post #35 of 63 (1707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
bigjonnyc wrote:
Savlon is an antiseptic, whereas Neosporin is an antibiotic.
That would explain why we can't get it over here. To reduce the mutations of resistant bacteria, antibiotics are available on prescription plans only.

re: SAM splint. Maybe it's just me but first aid has never really included splinting broken arms or anything.

Witch Hazel is an astringent from the witch hazel plant. If you pop a blisters then rub witch hazel in it hurts like a motherf*cker for 5-10 minutes but leathers up so you can hike on with some zinc oxide tape over it.

QTM:

Let's move on - can someone critique my sport/bouldering lists? Did I forget anything other than the weed?

fixed.

Yeah, I'm bored.

seatbeltpants

Jan 14, 2010, 7:55 PM
Post #36 of 63 (1707 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] The ultimate gear list. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
Hmm. Thread idea...different 'packable' fire starter ideas.

wtf is a "fire piston"? and do i want to look at that site while i'm at work?

qtm

Jan 14, 2010, 8:04 PM
Post #37 of 63 (1702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
qtm wrote:

CPR mask and gloves.

Epipen

Sorry, my mistake, I thought you said
In reply to:
a f*cking huge gear list that has absolutely everything you could possibly need on a climbing trip

Of course when I go ultralight, I don't bring a bunch of crap along. But everything is still on the list, so that I can cross it off the list rather than forget that it might be necessary.

Whatever. If you don't think you'll ever need them, fine, don't put them on *your* list.

sungam

Jan 14, 2010, 8:06 PM
Post #38 of 63 (1693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qtm wrote:
In reply to:
a f*cking huge gear list that has absolutely everything you could possibly need on a climbing trip

Of course when I go ultralight, I don't bring a bunch of crap along. But everything is still on the list, so that I can cross it off the list rather than forget that it might be necessary.

Whatever. If you don't think you'll ever need them, fine, don't put them on *your* list.
Yeah, for some reason the "first aid" section turned into "alpine first aid" in my head, hence the comment. Car camping section added. :)

Lazlo

Jan 14, 2010, 8:07 PM
Post #39 of 63 (1691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qtm wrote:
sungam wrote:
qtm wrote:

CPR mask and gloves.

Epipen

In reply to:

Tee hee.

I think they're good items, but should probably go under something more like family camping or car camping

Lazlo

Jan 14, 2010, 8:08 PM
Post #40 of 63 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
qtm wrote:
sungam wrote:
qtm wrote:

CPR mask and gloves.

Epipen

In reply to:

Tee hee.

I think they're good items, but should probably go under something more like family camping or car camping

I'm starting to think a car first aid kit is a good idea, but might be beyond the scope of this thread. (?)

hafilax

Jan 14, 2010, 8:18 PM
Post #41 of 63 (1661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seatbeltpants] The ultimate gear list. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

seatbeltpants wrote:
hafilax wrote:

[image]http://www.grannysstore.com/Wilderness_Survival/images/fire_piston.jpg[/image]

It was the nicest picture of a fire piston I could find. I don't know anything about the rest of the site.

A fire piston basically uses rapidly compressed air to heat some tinder to an ember which can then be used to start a fire. I just think they're a neat old school fire starter.

Lazlo

Jan 14, 2010, 8:21 PM
Post #42 of 63 (1658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
seatbeltpants wrote:
hafilax wrote:

[image]http://www.grannysstore.com/Wilderness_Survival/images/fire_piston.jpg[/image]

It was the nicest picture of a fire piston I could find. I don't know anything about the rest of the site.

A fire piston basically uses rapidly compressed air to heat some tinder to an ember which can then be used to start a fire. I just think they're a neat old school fire starter.

Well that does it...I'm starting a thread!Wink

qtm

Jan 14, 2010, 8:22 PM
Post #43 of 63 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a first aid kit in the car, but as the car is usually too far to be helpful in most cases, it's not on my list of anything. Of course there are a lot of useful things in my car which would help if I got stranded somewhere, but I don't think it'll be too helpful here. And I think car camping is a little too broad as well, since that could mean anything from taking a rental car to JTree to packing up a Winnebago.

I suggest limiting "camping" to things you would need on a backcountry or alpine climb

seatbeltpants

Jan 14, 2010, 8:37 PM
Post #44 of 63 (1645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
seatbeltpants wrote:
hafilax wrote:

ha! from that picture i thought it was a vibrator Blush

steve

donald949

Jan 14, 2010, 9:14 PM
Post #45 of 63 (1620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
So I was sitting around in Geometry and Convergance as Leo rambled on about the finer implications (?) of the dot product, and thought "shit, we should make a f*cking huge gear list that has absolutely everything you could possibly need on a climbing trip".
Obviously you won't need everything on the list, but it would be nice to have a full list of things to consider.
Hell you could print it off and just cross out the shit you won't need.

I dunno about other people, but I'm always forgetting something - spare batteries, a rag or piece of carpet when bouldering, (and on one embarrasing occasion - fuel for my stove Unimpressed ), this would be a fun tool to go through, I guess. I figured I'd break it down into sections - bouldering, sport, trad, alpine, day trip, camping, aid, ice, and misc (first aid, beer etc.)
Funny entries not only welcome but necessary.

What happened to 20K and done?
What about the cross product?
What on earth is a stick clip?

adatesman

Jan 14, 2010, 9:16 PM
Post #46 of 63 (1620 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post

donald949

Jan 14, 2010, 9:21 PM
Post #47 of 63 (1614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
hafilax wrote:
seatbeltpants wrote:
hafilax wrote:

There's a guy who makes them out of lexan, which is super neat since it allows you to actually see the action. Side note- diesel engines work the same way... reduce the volume of the gas until the temperature reaches flash point. Wicked cool stuff, and making one of these has been on my list a while.
Homemade diesel made from lexan. I'd pay money to see that in action. Laugh

sungam

Jan 14, 2010, 9:24 PM
Post #48 of 63 (1609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
hafilax wrote:
seatbeltpants wrote:
hafilax wrote:

There's a guy who makes them out of lexan, which is super neat since it allows you to actually see the action. Side note- diesel engines work the same way... reduce the volume of the gas until the temperature reaches flash point. Wicked cool stuff, and making one of these has been on my list a while.
Wooo! PV=NkT FTW!!!!! My physics finally explains real world occurrences correctly!! (I'm still trying to get over my past attempt to bring SHM/impulse/Hooke/dp/dt together to form a model for dynamic rope catches Crazy)

sungam

Jan 14, 2010, 11:11 PM
Post #49 of 63 (1582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay. Aid and Trad are now up. Critique and add as you will. I left car camping out for now.

Lazlo

Jan 15, 2010, 6:52 PM
Post #50 of 63 (1551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what is a ''22 thread for screws''?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook