RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

minnie

Jan 21, 2010, 2:02 AM
Post #1 of 10 (5201 views)
Shortcut

packs for women
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking to buy my next pack. Altrec gave me these suggestions

http://www.altrec.com/arcteryx/khazri-35-backpack?cm_sp=Baynote-_-Detailpage-_-DetailPageAlsoWantA

http://www.altrec.com/osprey-packs/talon-33-backpack

http://www.altrec.com/deuter/guide-45-climbing-pack?cm_sp=Baynote-_-Detailpage-_-DetailPageAlsoWantA

Any opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Linda

whipper

Jan 21, 2010, 2:56 AM
Post #2 of 10 (5196 views)
Shortcut

Re: [minnie] packs for women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think those are all great, whoever gave you those must really know what he is doing...

aerili

Jan 21, 2010, 7:19 AM
Post #3 of 10 (5186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

You need to try on a pack (loaded) to really know whether it is good for you or not. Recommendations should only give you a list of options to go try out. For instance, I know women who love their Gregory Diva pack, but it fit me like shit when I tried it on. I also know women who like certain REI men's packs, but I've never felt they were comfortable.

Any of the women's Osprey packs and the women's Arcteryx packs worked best for my build. They just felt the most comfortable. I ended up buying two Osprey packs--mostly because they are somewhat cheaper than Arcteryx.

(This post was edited by aerili on Jan 21, 2010, 7:19 AM)

minnie

Jan 21, 2010, 12:42 PM
Post #4 of 10 (5176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] packs for women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that trying a pack on loaded is the best way to go. Michael will really appreciate whipper's reply.[r

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 21, 2010, 3:17 PM
Post #5 of 10 (5169 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a Mountain Hardwear, Phenom. Not specifically made as a woman's pack. I know 2 other women who have the same pack, but in larger size. All of us have different body style and all of us say our packs fit well.

But I admit that I am not all that picky; carriage road approaches at the Gunks don't really require perfect fit! Though I have taken the pack 2.5 hours deep in Jtree back country a couple times, including major rock scrambling. Stayed on, comfortable fit and all.

jeepnphreak

Jan 24, 2010, 7:57 PM
Post #6 of 10 (5086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

minnie wrote:
I'm looking to buy my next pack. Altrec gave me these suggestions

http://www.altrec.com/arcteryx/khazri-35-backpack?cm_sp=Baynote-_-Detailpage-_-DetailPageAlsoWantA

http://www.altrec.com/osprey-packs/talon-33-backpack

http://www.altrec.com/deuter/guide-45-climbing-pack?cm_sp=Baynote-_-Detailpage-_-DetailPageAlsoWantA

Any opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Linda

the best womens packs in the world are found at mysteryranch. The best part is that the poutches/pockets are all made the same for women and men, but you have different waist bands and shoulder straps that can be switch out to accomidate either figure. there somthing like 9 different combinations of shoulder sraps and wiest bands that can be chosen from.
My wife has the G5000 and it puts to shame my North face badlands75, to the point of the NF seams like a total POS in comparison. MR are pricy but very worth the money.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/site/index.html

acacongua

Jan 25, 2010, 9:00 PM
Post #7 of 10 (5054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arc'teryx Muira is the way to go for climbing packs. Fully zips open.

kiwiprincess

Jan 26, 2010, 3:11 AM
Post #8 of 10 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Differences between male and female packs so area's to think about.
Women's are narrower over shoulder, curve earlier under armpits to avoid bossoms, curveover hips more to stop riding up at front if you are curved but the waist belt isn't. Often they are smaller( like in length of waist belt padding) since we are generally smaller.

Obviously we come in all shapes and sizes. i some brands I prefer the men's fit and some the women's. Trying a pack on is important
Try it on with stuff in to make sure of comfort.
I hate it when i look up and it hits my helmet so I often take it along when i try packs on.

Good luck

minnie

Jan 30, 2010, 6:17 PM
Post #9 of 10 (5000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kiwiprincess] packs for women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"I hate it when i look up and it hits my helmet so I often take it along when i try packs on. "
Dido
Hope this reminds me to take mine along for the try ons

attagirl

Feb 8, 2010, 5:50 AM
Post #10 of 10 (4910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What sort of pack are you looking for? Backpacking/longer trips, crag pack, second pack? My main climbing pack is a Granite Gear Nimbus Latitude Ki. It's big enough to fit a rope and personal gear, or the entire rack plus personal gear. It's also a nice size for a weekend backpacking trip. It's women's specific and the fit is awesome, super comfy to wear. The Nimbus Latitude Ki also opens up like a burrito so you don't have to dig into the black hole of a backpack trying to find the slings at the bottom of your bag.

For a second pack on multi pitches I have a Black Diamond Hollowpoint. At 20 L it's the perfect size for hydration bladder, extra layers, etc. I like that the straps aren't too wide and my helmet doesn't hit the bag when I look up. This is also a good carry on size or packing up for a weekend out of town.

My big backpacking bag is an Arc'teryx Briza. I really like women's specific fit, the straps are a little narrower and the torso isn't quite as long. Definitely try a bunch on with them loaded up with some weight. A good store will also measure you to help find the right size. Good luck, pack shopping is fun!

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook