Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Does the strength of a bight of rope/sling/webbing/whatever vary with pull direction?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

scm007

Jan 25, 2010, 6:56 AM
Post #1 of 39 (2297 views)
Shortcut

Does the strength of a bight of rope/sling/webbing/whatever vary with pull direction?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is the breaking strength the same whether or not the forces on either stand are in the same direction of pull or opposite directions?

Storjon

Jan 25, 2010, 10:36 AM
Post #2 of 39 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scm007] Does the strength of a bight of rope/sling/webbing/whatever vary with pull direction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, if all forces are in the same direction the sling is accelerating and if this acceleration is big enough air friction could possibly melt the sling and thus reduce itīs strength.

A sling is either pulled or compressed. Compression loading a sling shouldnīt be a problem in a climbing situation.

Regarding pulling, how many ways can you pull a sling?
Think about this and the answer is obvious..

Partner j_ung

Jan 25, 2010, 1:48 PM
Post #3 of 39 (2215 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scm007] Does the strength of a bight of rope/sling/webbing/whatever vary with pull direction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scm007 wrote:
Is the breaking strength the same whether or not the forces on either stand are in the same direction of pull or opposite directions?

(This post was edited by j_ung on Jan 25, 2010, 1:49 PM)

johnwesely

Jan 25, 2010, 2:09 PM
Post #4 of 39 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Does the strength of a bight of rope/sling/webbing/whatever vary with pull direction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
scm007 wrote:

Smart man.

kachoong

Jan 25, 2010, 2:51 PM
Post #5 of 39 (2183 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Storjon] Does the strength of a bight of rope/sling/webbing/whatever vary with pull direction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Storjon wrote:
No, if all forces are in the same direction the sling is accelerating and if this acceleration is big enough air friction could possibly melt the sling and thus reduce itīs strength.

A sling is either pulled or compressed. Compression loading a sling shouldnīt be a problem in a climbing situation.

Really? Air friction?

johnwesely

Jan 25, 2010, 3:14 PM
Post #6 of 39 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Does the strength of a bight of rope/sling/webbing/whatever vary with pull direction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
Storjon wrote:

Really? Air friction?

It is the new micro fracture!

bill413

Jan 25, 2010, 4:04 PM
Post #7 of 39 (2136 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Does the strength of a bight of rope/sling/webbing/whatever vary with pull direction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BTW - Yes, the direction of loading across a knot can make a difference in the load it can hold. Depends on the knot.

"A sling is either pulled or compressed." Yep - pulled while climbing, compressed to put in my pack. Unsure

(This post was edited by bill413 on Jan 25, 2010, 4:04 PM)

shimanilami

Jan 25, 2010, 4:58 PM
Post #8 of 39 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Does the strength of a bight of rope/sling/webbing/whatever vary with pull direction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
kachoong wrote:
Storjon wrote:

Really? Air friction?

Dudes. Meteors burn up all the time when they re-enter the atmosphere. If you were on the space shuttle and dropped a sling, it would probably almost certainly burn up before it reached the ground. And even if it didn't, would you still trust your life to it?

Case closed.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 25, 2010, 5:49 PM
Post #9 of 39 (2075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Does the strength of a bight of rope/sling/webbing/whatever vary with pull direction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I see we're off to just another day at the University of RC.n00b....

bill413

Jan 25, 2010, 6:03 PM
Post #10 of 39 (2065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Does the strength of a bight of rope/sling/webbing/whatever vary with pull direction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
kachoong wrote:
Storjon wrote:

Really? Air friction?

Dudes. Meteors burn up all the time when they re-enter the atmosphere. If you were on the space shuttle and dropped a sling, it would probably almost certainly burn up before it reached the ground. And even if it didn't, would you still trust your life to it?

Case closed.

Depends. Did it land on a rock or something soft?

majid_sabet

Jan 25, 2010, 6:04 PM
Post #11 of 39 (2059 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Does the strength of a bight of rope/sling/webbing/whatever vary with pull direction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
I see we're off to just another day at the University of RC.n00b....

Technically, most RC Grads should die with what they learn right off the university but, miraculously, they all survive and yet, they return back to RC to teach other Jr. n00bs on how to climb.

dugl33

Jan 25, 2010, 6:17 PM
Post #12 of 39 (2049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scm007 wrote:

When two teams pull on a fat rope in opposite directions, its called "Tug of War". When the teams cooperate, and pull the rope in the same direction, it's called "Dragging a Fat Rope".

Does that help?

scm007

Jan 25, 2010, 6:21 PM
Post #13 of 39 (2038 views)
Shortcut

Clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So............ still haven't gotten a response.

Say I have a 50 foot sling, and I only need a 10 foot sling. Can I just grab a 10 foot bight of rope, figure 8 it, and use it like I would a regular 10 foot sewn runner? The direction of the forces on the knot are pretty funky...

dugl33

Jan 25, 2010, 6:35 PM
Post #14 of 39 (2026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scm007] Clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scm007 wrote:
So............ still haven't gotten a response.

Say I have a 50 foot sling, and I only need a 10 foot sling. Can I just grab a 10 foot bight of rope, figure 8 it, and use it like I would a regular 10 foot sewn runner? The direction of the forces on the knot are pretty funky...

No one is responding because no one understands your question. So which is it a rope or a sling?

Why not quadruple it and tie an overhand knot?

scm007

Jan 25, 2010, 6:39 PM
Post #15 of 39 (2019 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] Clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For my purpose it is a sling, but I was wondering more generally.

Say I have a 10000 foot sewn sling (ridiculous of course) and I need a 10 foot sling. What do you do? logBase2(10000)-uple it

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 25, 2010, 6:44 PM
Post #16 of 39 (2009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here it is, 4 years passed since your "Does Walmart carry hand anti=perspirant" thread (link below; I was wondering why someone reprised it) and you want to make another go at being a pissant with 10 mile long sling tak?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...d;page=unread#unread

(This post was edited by happiegrrrl on Jan 25, 2010, 7:10 PM)

dugl33

Jan 25, 2010, 6:48 PM
Post #17 of 39 (2005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scm007 wrote:
For my purpose it is a sling, but I was wondering more generally.

Say I have a 10000 foot sewn sling (ridiculous of course) and I need a 10 foot sling. What do you do? logBase2(10000)-uple it

1.) Cut a 22 foot length with your pocket knife, and tie a water knot.

2.) Tie an overhand knot in one end, travel out 10ish feet, tie an overhand knot, travel back to the carabiner, tie one more overhand knot. Repeat if you want greater redundancy.

Getting to the nature of your question, knots are weaker than sewn slings. Wierdly loaded knots can be weaker than not-wierdly loaded knots. With large safety factors in strength, though, this doesn't always matter for practical purposes. Using a figure eight the way you describe would not be the best choice.

Edit to add: You could also start the water knot 20ish feet in on the 10k' long sling, and feed the end through this. Voila, water knot with a 6 inch tail on one side, 9,978 ft on the other.

(This post was edited by dugl33 on Jan 25, 2010, 6:55 PM)

scm007

Jan 25, 2010, 6:55 PM
Post #18 of 39 (1986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool thanks for the reply, in practice what I have is ~60 foot section of 1 inch webbing that I use for top-roping when I need to sling a tree that is a ways away from the lip. However it sure would be nice if I had a way to use this section to do whatever lip extension work I needed to for a TR.

I was faced with having a 2 bolt anchor and had a lip about 10 feet down. Simply pulling the strands down and tying a figure 8 or overhand would leave me with 30 feet too much slack, so I ask what is a better system? I'm not really understanding #2 and #1 isn't practical.

What I was thinking of doing was just essentially building two 10 foot slings out of this 60 footer by just grabbing any two random 10 feet sections on here and tying a figure 8 on a bight, creating 10 foot loops. But I have never loaded a figure 8 like that so I wasn't sure. My gut says that this is safe for TR'ing but I've never seen anybody do it like that.

EDIT: Yes I could untie the water knot before each use and retie the sling to the length I need, but I was hoping there was a better way.

(This post was edited by scm007 on Jan 25, 2010, 6:57 PM)

dugl33

Jan 25, 2010, 7:09 PM
Post #19 of 39 (1972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scm007 wrote:
Cool thanks for the reply, in practice what I have is ~60 foot section of 1 inch webbing that I use for top-roping when I need to sling a tree that is a ways away from the lip. However it sure would be nice if I had a way to use this section to do whatever lip extension work I needed to for a TR.

I was faced with having a 2 bolt anchor and had a lip about 10 feet down. Simply pulling the strands down and tying a figure 8 or overhand would leave me with 30 feet too much slack, so I ask what is a better system? I'm not really understanding #2 and #1 isn't practical.

What I was thinking of doing was just essentially building two 10 foot slings out of this 60 footer by just grabbing any two random 10 feet sections on here and tying a figure 8 on a bight, creating 10 foot loops. But I have never loaded a figure 8 like that so I wasn't sure. My gut says that this is safe for TR'ing but I've never seen anybody do it like that.

EDIT: Yes I could untie the water knot before each use and retie the sling to the length I need, but I was hoping there was a better way.

Well, this is ok, however, use overhand knots (with nylon webbing), not figure eights. The structure of an overhand knot is similar to a water knot. With the loading you're going to get, this will be similar to an EDK on webbing. Making two independent 10' loops would ease my mind 100% regarding strength and redundancy. Adjust lengths so loads are statically equalized on the bolts. Good luck.

Edit to add, one more time: EDK style loading on figure eights, whether tied in rope or webbing, has been shown to fail at low levels of loading. Figure eights loaded this way roll indefinitely. I think knot nerds call it "capsizing". This is the reason behind the concern and the recommendation of overhands, not figure eights. Water knot, overhand knot, or double fishermans... use one of those.

(This post was edited by dugl33 on Jan 25, 2010, 7:25 PM)

scm007

Jan 25, 2010, 7:18 PM
Post #20 of 39 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Exactly! Thanks! I was thinking of using overhands actually but then it seemed just like a EDK. Out of curiousity how many KN would you reckon that a EDK in webbing breaks at?

dugl33

Jan 25, 2010, 7:31 PM
Post #21 of 39 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scm007 wrote:
Exactly! Thanks! I was thinking of using overhands actually but then it seemed just like a EDK. Out of curiousity how many KN would you reckon that a EDK in webbing breaks at?

Try a search in "the Lab" forum on this. I think its been tested. I'd be a little nervous using this with a single loop, but would personally be ok with using it with two completely independent loops. Also, try tying the water knot a ways into the webbing a time or two. Measure out arm lengths for location. Its not too bad.

johnwesely

Jan 25, 2010, 7:48 PM
Post #22 of 39 (1934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
kachoong wrote:
Storjon wrote:

Really? Air friction?

Case closed.

I will keep that in mind when commercial space flight becomes available, and I become a millionaire.

scm007

Jan 25, 2010, 7:53 PM
Post #23 of 39 (1926 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks I'll keep that it mind.

bigjonnyc

Jan 25, 2010, 8:42 PM
Post #24 of 39 (1900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
shimanilami wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
kachoong wrote:
Storjon wrote:

Really? Air friction?

Case closed.

I will keep that in mind when commercial space flight becomes available, and I become a millionaire.

Even then I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have windows for passengers to casually open and toss slings out of on commercial space flights.

johnwesely

Jan 25, 2010, 8:48 PM
Post #25 of 39 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigjonnyc] Does the strength of a bight of rope/sling/webbing/whatever vary with pull direction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bigjonnyc wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
shimanilami wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
kachoong wrote:
Storjon wrote:

Really? Air friction?

Case closed.

Even then I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have windows for passengers to casually open and toss slings out of on commercial space flights.

Well, never mind then.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook